Not a Pilot...At least not yet but wanna hear from you guys

Since you love teaching then have you considered that flight instructing might be a good part time career choice for you.?? The best instructors I had were former teachers.

I have. That’s my goal for now. First need to finish my IFR. Then push on from there. You know I love and respect your personal input. Your flying stories always amaze me!

...Up here Air Canada used to be government owned, they went private but the government is still a significant shareholder in them...

The Canadian Federal government sold the last of its shares in Air Canada in 1989. It has no equity interest in that airline at this time.

1) I loved all things aviation since I was pretty little. My grandfather paid for a glider lesson when I was 11 or 12, and that focused a general interest into an actual plan to get my Private. @flyingron mentioned that you can immerse yourself in the culture without spending a lot of money, and that's very true and a good thing to keep in mind. Some of my favorite memories of my early flying years weren't necessarily while in the cockpit - just hanging around other pilots at the airport can be great fun as well as educational. And especially these days with all the digital content available, you can saturate yourself with this stuff if you choose without spending a dime.

2) I'm a professional pilot. I didn't start flying with the intention of doing it for a living, but it sort of ended up that way (story for a different thread I suppose). Best part about the job is the flying! I'm still a big ol' flying dork at heart and love being around airplanes, and even a generic airliner brings a smile to my face when I head into work. Unfortunately airplanes were made to go places and the pilots go with them, so most jobs have you gone for at least a few nights per month. Being on the road is the toughest part, especially with a family at home.

3) I didn't fast track through all the ratings or anything - generally going along as I had the money - so the studying was never overwhelming. Nothing about it is *hard*, but there's a lot to know, and the learning never really stops.

4) Better answered elsewhere, but I never found the second or first class medical requirements here in the US to be unreasonable. Quite the opposite, honestly.

5) Absolutely go for it! The nice thing is you pay as you go along, so you don't have to make a big investment to get started. As others advised - take a lesson and see what you think!

6) Have fun!

The Canadian Federal government sold the last of its shares in Air Canada in 1989. It has no equity interest in that airline at this time.
Thanks for pointing that out, you are right. That being said I do hear from my friends working there that there are still inefficient and bureaucratic policies in place similar to what one would expect to find working for the government. Also, Nepotism is rampant, something that government jobs are notorious for having.

Air Canada is a private company as you've said, but I do wonder why they seem to have a lot in common with a government workplace...Please let me know if you have an answer

Edit: I just messaged a friend who works there and I should make it clear that his complaints are specific to the union and not the company as a whole

Thanks for pointing that out, you are right. That being said I do hear from my friends working there that there are still inefficient and bureaucratic policies in place similar to what one would expect to find working for the government. Also, Nepotism is rampant, something that government jobs are notorious for having.

Air Canada is a private company as you've said, but I do wonder why they seem to have a lot in common with a government workplace...Please let me know if you have an answer

Edit: I just messaged a friend who works there and I should make it clear that his complaints are specific to the union and not the company as a whole
I've consulted for several Fortune 500 companies over the past 22 years, and as far as "inefficient and bureaucratic policies" go, they're indistinguishable from the governments and big non-profits I've worked with. Bureaucracy is entirely a function of size, not public vs private.

I've consulted for several Fortune 500 companies over the past 22 years, and as far as "inefficient and bureaucratic policies" go, they're indistinguishable from the governments and big non-profits I've worked with. Bureaucracy is entirely a function of size, not public vs private.
Great point! Thanks

1) I discovered my love of aviation at 11 or 12. I just knew I had to be a pilot, and as soon as possible.

2) Currently a full-time student with a part-time job. Actually not a pilot quite yet . . . Almost there though!

3) Ground school is kind of like a college class. The information is a mile wide and an inch deep. It can be tough but definitely achievable depending on your level of intelligence (that might sound mean, let me clarify: it's not something your average 9 year old would be great at, but definitely achievable for a 14 - 15 year old).

4) I have no experience with commercial (2nd class?) medical requirements, but I could certainly rant about my experience getting a 3rd class!

5) If you love flying, money shouldn't be an object. My flight training is costing about $8,000, and I'm paying for about 80-85% of that myself as a high school student. So an adult, who is REALLY motivated to make it happen and makes more than minimum wage, shouldn't have a problem with cost.

6) Go for it!! It will be extremely frustrating, but just keep in mind WHY you are trying to become a pilot. It is completely worth it. Something about being able to fly a literal airplane by yourself anywhere you want (almost!) is just so empowering :D

1) I’m an explorer/adventurer by nature. Anything I can climb or drive I will. Have loved aviation and technology since I was a small child. Uncle is pilot / owned aircraft but it’s always seemed out of reach for me. The real catalyst came from flight simulation. I had been flight simming for a while and started investing (some real money) to make it as realistic as possible when my buddy took me up in his E55 Baron and it dawned on me - forget simulated reality .. go for actual reality!

It’s odd.. to outsiders and non-legacy, flying seems like this totally abstract concept with a high barrier to entry. I will forever be in debt to my buddy for showing me how easy it is to get into the left seat. I hope to pay this forward a million times.

2) I’m in technology risk assurance - so not directly flying related. I enjoy telling people what to do and knowing they have to do it because I’m correct. The toughest part of my role is that we really see behind the veil and how broken everything is - people, process, and technology.

3) PPL wasn’t much studying for me. Airspace was probably the biggest memory item. I probably had a longer than normal learning curve on actual flight maneuvers. For my instrument, lots of studies since it’s very technical. I went through a 141 school for both, so I felt the structure and phase checks helped me get more feedback and improve / master the skills.

4) I understand that the medical (and skill level) required is relative to the number of people you can kill at once. Private / 3rd class medical = few; ATP / 1st class = many. I believe they are appropriate.

5) I’m a firm believer on trying everything once and following your passion. As far as life experience goes, money is irrelevant. Go out and do it. Find a school, club, instructor, or some rando at an airport to take you up. If you’re ever near me, I’ll take you up. I’m looking for any excuse to go!

6) Go flying! Don’t look back! And definitely don’t look at your checkbook! Haha

1) Why did you become a pilot?
Something I always wanted to do. My Dad bought a J-5 piper in 1945 and flew us kids to the dentist . Didn't have a car that would reliably get us there. He sold the Airplane in 1948 to buy a house in town with electricity , running water, a school, medical close by.

2) What do you like and what do you dislike about your job (Or just about your trade if you are a private pilot)?
I don't have a job , last job was 1968 - 1969. Been self employed since then.

3) What was flight school like? How much studying was involved?
Flight school is a delight ,(lots of studying) , the Instructor is a kid 6 years younger then I. He is 74 with 25000+ hours in his log books

4) Is there a reason the medical requirements for a commercial license are so stringent? I have seen some pilots say that some of them are unreasonable, do you agree or disagree?
At age 79 I passed the medical 3rd class with flying colors. :) Hope I will do so again when 81.

5) Would you recommend that an enthusiast like myself go out and get their private pilot license or does the high cost make it not worth it?
If that's what you want to do and can squeeze the budget to do it , Go for it ! I started in 1970 . Flew 4 hours over 4 years and quit. Family and expanding the business came first. Now at age 80 just soloed last week . Wife died in November , kids all say go for it Dad , you gave it up for us and the Business. Get it done.

6) Anything else you think a newbie like me should know?
Just know in your heart this is what you really want to do.

Back