Nose baggage - securing stuff - what do you do?

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
Just curious how you stow stuff in the nose compartment of your airplane? I only have 25lbs capacity but thought I would move items up there that aren’t needed in the passenger area.

How do you secure stuff? Bungees, straps, container would love to hear.

150 lbs baggage capacity in the front compartment in mine.
I have a net and heavy securing straps bolted into anchors on the four corners through the floor. I do up the straps in an X over and across the netted cargo.

Much of the time I have little to no cargo in the front baggage compartment. I often fly the plane without middle or back row passengers, and that means I need the weight in the rear baggage compartment, not the front.

Last edited:
150 lbs baggage capacity in the front compartment in mine.
I have a net and heavy securing straps bolted into anchors on the four corners through the floor. I do up the straps in an X over and across the netted cargo.

Much of the time I have little to no cargo in the front baggage compartment. I ofter fly the plane without middle or back row passengers, and that means I need the weight in the rear baggage compartment, not the front.

About 70 in the back of the T Lance is perfect. On.y time I use mine is at gross for moving the CG.

100lbs capacity. I just close the door. I was advised to lock it so it didn’t pop open. I mostly just keep the airplane stuff in there- spare oil, tow bar, tie-downs, that kind of stuff.

Just curious how you stow stuff in the nose compartment of your airplane? I only have 25lbs capacity but thought I would move items up there that aren’t needed in the passenger area.

How do you secure stuff? Bungees, straps, container would love to hear.

Do you have anything to attach a bungee or strap to?

Allow me to interject a very important fact here. If a nose locker door opens during or after takeoff, the aircraft will continue to fly and will be controllable. Don't panic and make it a bigger issue than it is.

To my everlasting sorrow, when I was a young adult, a big twin loaded with 6 parents of 15 of my friends crashed while turning base to return to the airport after the nose locker door opened during takeoff. The pilot made horrible decisions in responding to a problem that didn't compromise safety of flight, thus the fatal outcome.

Be prepared to perform the actions necessary to get back on the ground, and stay cool. The chance some baggage will leave the locker and strike a propeller or flight surfaces is small.

Totally agree “fly the plane”

Just trying to see what others package their stuff in so it won’t end up like the stuff in the back of my wife’s car “all over the place”. ;)

Thanks!

Before closing the door, tell them to hang on and shut up!

Sounds like a couple Riddle students trying to maximize the long XC for commercial.....

Back