Northern lights as seen at 70,000 feet from a U-2

Very nice, but find it very odd any pictures from U-2 would be released to the public.

Here are a couple of pictures of the lights taken during an August fishing trip to Saskatchewan a couple of years ago.9D35E43C-7A12-4C0D-96F8-18F7906A73F4.jpeg062FB730-4A28-44F2-BBD0-2AEE47684117.jpeg

Uuhhhhmmmmm.......those appear at his altitude. Suggest 15 degrees left.

Very nice, but find it very odd any pictures from U-2 would be released to the public.

Just the Northern Lights. Now what his cameras were filming would be the classified part. :cool:

James May did a whole TV episode on the plane. Don't remember details of what they showed in cockpit, but I doubt there is anything top secret.....

I have a friend who's brother was a U-2 guy. He has inflight photos all over his parents house.

Yep they were photoshopped :)
Obviously. They show the curvature of the Earth and we all know the Earth is flat.

Those picture are truly amazing though. Seeing the northern lights is definitely on my bucket list.

Surprised that many stars would be visible much less photographable with the Earth being that bright. I vote Photoshop as well.

True, but definitely not necessary. In fact I'm surprised that @Mtns2Skies hasn't seen them from Colorado. I first saw them from a backyard in Detroit - and that's INSIDE the city, not the suburbs - though it was over 50 years ago.
Colorado is a bit far south for viewing. Sometimes but it is rare.

Saw 'em flying into Toronto or Ottawa one night, forget which.

I saw a rare northern lights event in south east Texas once. The radio station was flooded with calls from people thinking we were under attack...:lol::lol:

Uncommon perhaps -- not sure I'd say rare. And it was (almost) equally uncommon to see them in Detroit. But during strong magnetic storms - it's possible. We had a few such in the '60s, not too many recently though.

Uncommon perhaps -- not sure I'd say rare. And it was (almost) equally uncommon to see them in Detroit. But during strong magnetic storms - it's possible. We had a few such in the '60s, not too many recently though.
Are ya sayin' steak is rare but northern lights that I've never seen in 31 years aren't? Okay. Sure. Whatever.

Are ya sayin' steak is rare but northern lights that I've never seen in 31 years aren't? Okay. Sure. Whatever.
31 years? Yeah, I believe that. As I said, the last time I saw the northern lights in Detroit was in the '60s, so more than 50 years ago. Rare today, I would go along with that too. The Sun is in a rather quiescent phase, very few sunspots even at the last solar maximum. I've yet to see them here in VT, at latitude 44N and much darker skies than anywhere near where I grew up.

But thinking on the time scale of the last century or so, I wouldn't think it was THAT rare. I do remember cases where they were reportedly seen as far south as the Gulf Coast. Now THAT is rare! But at latitudes like 39* or 40*? Again, I wouldn't think so.

I never saw the northern lights in Colorado and I lived there about 35 years. The altitude may be high, but it's pretty far south.

The only times I've seen them is from a airplane; once between Milwaukee and Toronto, and again somewhere in northern Michigan.

31 years? Yeah, I believe that. As I said, the last time I saw the northern lights in Detroit was in the '60s, so more than 50 years ago. Rare today, I would go along with that too. The Sun is in a rather quiescent phase, very few sunspots even at the last solar maximum. I've yet to see them here in VT, at latitude 44N and much darker skies than anywhere near where I grew up.

But thinking on the time scale of the last century or so, I wouldn't think it was THAT rare. I do remember cases where they were reportedly seen as far south as the Gulf Coast. Now THAT is rare! But at latitudes like 39* or 40*? Again, I wouldn't think so.
I'm sure you are right. My limited perspective of only a few years means nothing. Got it.

I have heard that the ice age is ending and global warming is coming but it is a rare occurrence. It only follows an ice age on occasion. Maybe that is rare...maybe that is a cycle. Dunno. What about the oxygen/carbon-dioxide cycle? is that rare? These things get complicated. Sooooooo confussing....

Myth busters also did an episode on the U-2. I don't remember them showing much of the cockpit though. The video they showed during the flight was amazing.

I think I saw the northern lights once 15ish years ago in East Central Iowa. We seem to get chances of seeing them at least once a year but it always seems to be one of those cloudy night or not visible until the middle of the night when I am inspecting my eye lids.

I'm sure you are right. My limited perspective of only a few years means nothing. Got it.

I have heard that the ice age is ending and global warming is coming but it is a rare occurrence. It only follows an ice age on occasion. Maybe that is rare...maybe that is a cycle. Dunno. What about the oxygen/carbon-dioxide cycle? is that rare? These things get complicated. Sooooooo confussing....
Huh? :confused:

Look, do you really think it's so hard to believe you might just not have been out and looking at the time they were visible? I'm sure I missed many chances to see them myself, and I'm an astronomy geek. Life happens, we all have responsibilities. I'm just saying, 40 N latitude isn't THAT far south. I didn't disagree that it was uncommon to see them, just that RARE might be a stretch. Not sure why you're taking my comments personally, or bringing global warming into this...

Look, do you really think it's so hard to believe you might just not have been out and looking at the time they were visible? I'm sure I missed many chances to see them myself, and I'm an astronomy geek. Life happens, we all have responsibilities. I'm just saying, 40 N latitude isn't THAT far south. I didn't disagree that it was uncommon to see them, just that RARE might be a stretch. Not sure why you're taking my comments personally, or bringing global warming into this...
Haha. Seeing northern lights in Colorado is a rare event by any definition including the geologic time scale. If you don’t think it’s rare then fine you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I’m sorry that you don’t think that I’m entitled to my opinion and had to comment about it.

I occasionally see them going to Europe or Asia. To my eyes, they look like thin clouds with the stars shining through them. The colors are better in the pictures.

Maybe not that rare since they seem to be in the news at least every other year.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/...l-viewing-of-the-northern-lights-in-colorado/

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...ng-northern-lights-colorado-weekend/15516481/

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4032379

https://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/...o-with-strongest-northern-lights-in-a-decade/

Yeah I didn't think they were *that* rare.

A couple things I was wrong about though. I knew that auroras were more likely seen at low latitudes in North America as opposed to Europe because the north magnetic pole is currently in northern Canada, but I didn't think the fact that Colorado is a few hundred miles farther west than Detroit would make that much of a difference in geomagnetic latitude. It does though. Denver is at 48.2 N when latitude is referred to the north geomagnetic pole. Detroit, on the other hand, is something like 52.4. Only a little over 2 degrees difference in geographic latitude, but over 4 degrees geomagnetic. So yes, aurora sightings will be significantly less common in Colorado as compared with Michigan, especially in southern Colorado.

Here is a nice link that gives you an idea of how often you should be able to see an aurora (weather permitting). Earlier today I found a link at the same site that actually showed maps of North America and Eurasia with a graphical depiction of how far south an aurora should be visible depending on Kp index, a measure of geomagnetic storm strength that ranges from 0 (no activity) to 9 (extreme magnetic storm). I can't seem to find that link now though. But based on the link above, at Denver's geomagnetic latitude, you need to have a Kp 7-8 storm which is quite unusual - somewhere between 100 and 200 days per 11-year solar cycle. Detroit, on the other hand, should see auroras due to storms with Kp indices between 5 and 6, which occur between 600 and 1700 days per cycle.

The other thing I was wrong about was that auroras are rare today due to the Sun's quiescence - maybe a little less common but by no means rare, as your link points out. I also found this link showing pictures of a nice aurora in February 2014 taken from central Illinois, which is roughly the same geomagnetic latitude as Denver. The display is low on the horizon, so you'd need a good unobstructed view to the north. But given that and decent weather, it should have been visible from northern and even central Colorado.

Of course it depends on wshere you are in Colorado. The map I mentioned earlier shows that in southern Colorado, you would need a pretty extreme magnetic storm to cause an aurora to come far enough south to be visible there. I don't know where in Colorado @Clark1961 is based, so maybe he is south of that fringe.

As far north as I’ve gone, I’ve never seen them. Need to make a point of doing so one day.

I’ve seen them numerous times in North Dakota, New York, and Connecticut. Sometimes extremely brilliant, other times very faint.

Viewing the Northern Lights at altitude with NVGs is a another while trip.

Back