Northern CO suggestions

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by CJones, Apr 29, 2019.

1. CJones

CJones En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea
    Looks like we'll be making a family trip out to northern CO (Greely) with a church group first week of July. I'm considering flying us out there in the RV-10 instead of the aluminum mailing tube and spending a few extra days in the area introducing my boys to what 'real' mountains are. From there, we're considering making a jaunt up to Black Hills to check Mt. Rushmore off 'the list' before heading to Iowa for a few days family visit.

Looking for suggestions on what airport to use in CO based on ease of access flying in (I'm not a trained mountain flyer, but I'm not worried about dealing with airspace if necessary), rental cars (largely prefer Enterprise or National) and ease of access to the mountains themselves via ground vehicle. Looks like it's too late to reserve a camp site in the area around that time, so we'll be burning some Hilton or Marriott points on this trip.

TIA for suggestions...

CJ

2. Landing Fees

Landing Fees Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Landing Fees
    Rental cars would be the only challenging part but all of the airports have courtesy cars to go pick up a rental, of the company won’t pick you up.

We are based at KBJC but anything would suit your needs. I would stick to KGXY if that is where you are meeting. As far as getting over the passes just check the pressure differential between Rollins Pass/KBJC if it is significant, it will rattle your molars, or worse.

We always plan for 1000’ over a pass but we are pretty conservative cause you can’t outclimb Mother Nature.

murphey likes this.
  3. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    If you are going to Greeley, why not land at Greeley? I don't know what rental cars the offer, but Enterprise serves a lot of small airports and you can always ask. Besides, the on-airport restaurant is pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    murphey likes this.
  4. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    https://www.airnav.com/airport/Kgxy Enterprise cars.

http://www.peakfbo.com/

July over Corona/Rollins Pass...welcome to Density Altitude. You may want to grab an experienced colorado mountain CFI for a lesson. With the RV10, you can easily take the boys and the CFI and head up to Granby or Steamboat for lunch & a lesson.

Or if you don't want to do the passes, the long way to Steamboat is up to the CO-WY state line, then west and then to KSBS. No need to worry about passes, altho still higher altitude. I think I did the route at 10.5-11.5 K