North Pole Approach Plate

Because a competant pilot *would* touchdown more than halfway down on 19. Why? Because the GA terminal is at the south end of the field, along with the fuel pumps. Yeah, I'm going to touchdown on the numbers on 19, and then taxi for a mile and a half to the fuel pumps. Maybe if I'm a moron. I didn't even pull the power until OVER the numbers at TPA last time I landed 19.

Do you see any similarity between KSAW and BINP?

Do you see any similarity between KSAW and BINP?

You never specifically said BINP. You said "the runway" not "the runway at imaginary airport BINP"

And I see lots of similiarities if I'm allowed to make the assumption that BINP actually exists. Both have approaches, both have a mostly north/south runway. Both are a single runway airfield, both of them have the airport buildings on the "right" side of the field as diagrammed on the approach plate...

Last edited:
OH FOR PETE'S SAKE YOU PEOPLE!!

IT'S A HOLIDAY JOKE!!!!!!

RELAX. HAVE SOME MORE EGG NOG!!!!!!!!!

You never specifically said BINP. You said "the runway" not "the runway at imaginary airport BINP"

That's an interesting take. I wrote, "A competent pilot won't touchdown in the second half of the runway", in a discussion titled "North Pole Approach Plate", where the only runway previously mentioned had been the one at imaginary airport BINP, and you took it to mean "A competent pilot will never touchdown in the second half of any runway."

And I see lots of similiarities if I'm allowed to make the assumption that BINP actually exists. Both have approaches, both have a mostly north/south runway. Both are a single runway airfield, both of them have the airport buildings on the "right" side of the field as diagrammed on the approach plate...

Do both of them have the sole turnoff at about the midpoint of the runway?

That's an interesting take. I wrote, "A competent pilot won't touchdown in the second half of the runway", in a discussion titled "North Pole Approach Plate", where the only runway previously mentioned had been the one at imaginary airport BINP, and you took it to mean "A competent pilot will never touchdown in the second half of any runway."

So....at what point does the fact that this is a joke thread about a joke approach plate and a joke concept sink in?

Do both of them have the sole turnoff at about the midpoint of the runway?

As pedantic as you are with how other people post, I expected you to hold yourself to a higher standard.

Just out of curiosity where did you find it as a 1MB bmp? It started life as a 163K jpg in the first place.

It was e-mailed to me from an old friend. I have no idea where he got it from. I see a 2004 date at the top so I suspect it's been around a long time but this is the first time I've seen it.

It was e-mailed to me from an old friend. I have no idea where he got it from.

Interesting. I guess it's making the rounds this year - I've heard about it from a couple of other forums, too.

I see a 2004 date at the top so I suspect it's been around a long time but this is the first time I've seen it.

Oooops! That'll teach me to put a date stamp in two places. The '04 version had a couple of critical errors - for which I plead that I was pretty sick at the time. (Some say that hasn't changed.) Anyway, you posted the '07 version which is "factually" correct. Kudo's to the board for "getting" most of the jokes. And thanks to all for sharing my warped sense of humor.

Santa has petitioned for an LPV approach. He could get one - but only if there's something inherently funny about LPV's...

Welll, if you make a standard "T" approach, you could have "TASTE" for the center of the T, "GOOOD" for the FAF, and "ELVES" and "RYNDR" for the ends of the T, thus getting either

RYNDR TASTE GOOOD
ELVES TASTE GOOOD

for the sequence. Then proceed due south to DONTT, and hold at THEYY.

But the heading will switch at the halfway point...you were cleared to land 36 but yer rollin' out on 18, how's that gonna look to the FSDO when there's an incursion?

Especially when you report that you have had an incursion with yourself going in an opposite direction to yourself.....huh?

Especially when you report that you have had an incursion with yourself going in an opposite direction to yourself.....huh?

I really have no clue but think that a whole new chapter will be needed in the AIM for North Pole ops...okay, maybe just a new subparagraph...

Oooops! That'll teach me to put a date stamp in two places. The '04 version had a couple of critical errors - for which I plead that I was pretty sick at the time. (Some say that hasn't changed.) Anyway, you posted the '07 version which is "factually" correct. Kudo's to the board for "getting" most of the jokes. And thanks to all for sharing my warped sense of humor.

Santa has petitioned for an LPV approach. He could get one - but only if there's something inherently funny about LPV's...

Joe are you the originator of that approach plate? I thought it was really clever.

Jean

Yep, if true course is figured as an angle to an object (ie the North pole) BUT you are already at the North pole it takes someone like Santa to figure out how to shoot the approach.

If you are interested in some more about Santa and Christmas I invite you to my blog post today which starts:

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and out on the ramp, Not an airplane
was stirring, not even a Champ.
The aircraft were fastened to tiedowns with care In hopes that come
morning, they all would be there.

You can find the post at All Things Aviation.

Merry Christmas all!

Yep, if true course is figured as an angle to an object (ie the North pole) BUT you are already at the North pole it takes someone like Santa to figure out how to shoot the approach.

If you're at the North Pole your true course is 180.

The original question was:

For any competent pilot it will be 360.

A competent pilot won't touchdown in the second half of the runway.

Your concept of competency wasn't stipulated, merely course at touch down. If you wish to add conditions then you must do so a priori. At this point you are assessed a thread penalty for post facto qualifications and fined ten posts forfeit. Better luck next time.

Last edited:
And the chart made Scott McCartney's blog in the WSJ today.... with some snark about it not being RNP...

Your concept of competency wasn't stipulated, merely course at touch down. If you wish to add conditions then you must do so a priori. At this point you are assessed a thread penalty for post facto qualifications and fined ten posts forfeit. Better luck next time.

For any competent pilot the course at touchdown will be 360.

Your course at touchdown may be 180.

You are not qualified to assess penalties.

For any competent pilot the course at touchdown will be 360.

Your course at touchdown may be 180.

You are not qualified to assess penalties.

But I have been paid to assess penalties. Guess you're wrong on that one too. Sorry. And, by the way, you've just doubled your penalty to twenty posts. Sorry 'bout that.

It has been several years since I posted this and I know it was old then but it's still a good one for this time of year so I thought I might resurrect this thread.

Enjoy!

Back