non-TSO'd EGT/CHT on a certified cessna 150?

gogowanda

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
Hi,

Just bought my first little plane, a cessna 150J, yay...
As a new owner i'm in the mood of upgrading. I work on motorcycles so i'm very into engine maintenance, or, how to avoid them with good monitoring system. I'd really love to have a simple 4 channel digital EGT/CHT installed on it and I found this MGL TC1

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/infinity.html#TC-1

I know it's not TSO'd but is it "prohibited" to be installed in a cessna 150?

Thx!

Daz

Until someone produces a regulation that prohibits it then it is ok to install.

However you may find some Mechanics that have a personal requirement to only install TSO equipment, but that his their requirement not the FAA's.

Now some equipment does specifically require a TSO like transponders, but unless the regulations says it must be a TSO device then a TSO is not required.

A good example is a G-meter, there simply isn't any TSO document for a G-meter that I have found. But it is certainly acceptable to install one.

Brian

Hi,

As a new owner i'm in the mood of upgrading. I work on motorcycles so i'm very into engine maintenance, or, how to avoid them with good monitoring system. I'd really love to have a simple 4 channel digital EGT/CHT installed on it and I found this MGL TC1

Thx!

Daz

First post....

Welcome to POA...

:cheers::cheers:..

As for your question.......

I "think" a few low end EGT /CHT gauges are legal in certified planes...

I put one in my Warrior 30 years ago with a rotary switch to check each Cyl temp..

This might be the one I used...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/chtgauges_westach/westcht1.php

I have since gave up on the ( FAA APPROVED crap) and went over to the dark side ...... Experimental.... And I will NEVER go back...:no:

I'd say you can install it in addition to your approved primary instruments but not as a replacement for approved primary instruments. In any case you'll need a mechanic to participate so it's up to him.

Hi,

Thx!

Daz
You can install it. there is no requirement for any TSO for this type of instrument.
If you are going to install it get your A&P involved to make the log book entry.

(do not cut a new hole in the instrument panel)

You can install it. there is no requirement for any TSO for this type of instrument.
If you are going to install it get your A&P involved to make the log book entry.

(do not cut a new hole in the instrument panel)

Agreed....

That will open up big can of worms...:yikes::idea:

Good luck generating structural paperwork with your A&P license...

Are you saying A&Ps can gain field approvals?
IT only requires a IA to approve return to service. that is why we have block 6&7 on the 337.

Hi,

Thx!

Daz

Comes up all the time. The customer wants unapproved brand X because it has some neat features or is cheaper than approved brand Y. If the customer is willing to pay for generating the necessary approvals needed often times the unapproved one can be used. Often times those approvals are very expensive and no money is saved over the approved version.

Now some equipment does specifically require a TSO like transponders, but unless the regulations says it must be a TSO device then a TSO is not required.Brian

Almost, not quite. Take a GOOD look at the FAR. It says it must MEET the TSO specifications, but unless they've changed the reg in this last year, it does not need to BE TSOd.

(a) All airspace: U.S.-registered civil aircraft. For operations not conducted under part 121 or 135 of this chapter, ATC transponder equipment installed must meet the performance and environmental requirements of any class of TSO-C74b (Mode A) or any class of TSO-C74c (Mode A with altitude reporting capability) as appropriate, or the appropriate class of TSO-C112 (Mode S).

(emphasis author)
Jim

Last edited:
A TSO is neither necessary nor sufficient to install this (and just about many other) device.

Back