Non-TSO nav/com?

FredFenster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Greg L
Just trying to make sense of an airplane that I saw listed at the local airport. It has one nav/com radio listed as an ICS Plus, and a second radio Icom IC-A200. Searching for these on google comes up with not much but some secondhand talk on other forums about "Experimental only", and they're not TSO approved from what I can see. Is there any legality issue with these in a certified aircraft?

Just trying to make sense of an airplane that I saw listed at the local airport. It has one nav/com radio listed as an ICS Plus, and a second radio Icom IC-A200. Searching for these on google comes up with not much but some secondhand talk on other forums about "Experimental only", and they're not TSO approved from what I can see. Is there any legality issue with these in a certified aircraft?

Not enough information. What airplane and what country is it registered in?

Last edited:
We have an ICSplus in ours. You do not need TSO'd communication and navigation radios for non-commercial use. That is one of the biggest BS rumors out there. The ICSplus is perfectly legal for use in non-commercial use aircraft.

1968 Cherokee 140 in the US. And it would be just for my personal use so nothing commercial. :D

You'll be fine then. It has a comm, nav, and glideslope all built into the display. And a two place intercom built in. Read the manual, I uploaded it as an attachment. It does not operate like a traditional flip-flop nav/com. If you try to use it like one, you will be all messed up. It does not connect to any external panel indicator.

Attachments

• ICS.doc
    1,015 KB · Views: 92
Apologies for bringing up an old thread but this is relevant thread to my question.

I also have a Cherokee with ICS Plus. Am working on my IR. I know it's legal to fly VFR with ICS Plus radio. But is it legal to file and fly IFR using the glideslope off the ICS for a precision approach?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

My aircraft is registered in United States.

If it makes a difference, other avionics I have include an old analog King KX-175B NAV/COM (which is TSOed). Recently installed Lynx L-3 NGT-9000 ADS-B IN/OUT

British requires the use of TSO radios for VFR? So if you have a Cub you can't wire up a handheld ICOM radio?

My aircraft is registered in United States.

If it makes a difference, other avionics I have include an old analog King KX-175B NAV/COM (which is TSOed). Recently installed Lynx L-3 NGT-9000 ADS-B IN/OUT

British requires the use of TSO radios for VFR? So if you have a Cub you can't wire up a handheld ICOM radio?

yes and no. certain handhelds are approved in certain airspace. A,B, AND C are not approved. I don't know all the details but they have a lot stricter rules in the uk and eu.

bob

Back