Non+towered airport departure

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
A first for me. I'm no stranger to picking up clearances at nontowered airports. I'm one of those old enough to remember doing a preflight, running to the FBO, calling Flight Service on a pay phone, getting my void time clearance, running back to the airplane, starting up, running up, setting radios, etc — in the rain! But this is the first time I have had to call Clearance a second time (actually the third, but that's not reall relevant) to let them know that I would not be able to make my void time. They gave me enough time but It was marginal VFR - just low enough that I didn't want to pick it up in the air, but just high enough that there was (very slow) touch & go traffic.

Sadly, my GoPro crapped out so not even audio.

A first for me. I'm no stranger to picking up clearances at nontowered airports. I'm one of those old enough to remember doing a preflight, running to the FBO, calling Flight Service on a pay phone, getting my void time clearance, running back to the airplane, starting up, running up, setting radios, etc — in the rain! But this is the first time I have had to call Clearance a second time (actually the third, but that's not reall relevant) to let them know that I would not be able to make my void time. They gave me enough time but It was marginal VFR - just low enough that I didn't want to pick it up in the air, but just high enough that there was (very slow) touch & go traffic.

Sadly, my GoPro crapped out so not even audio.
On behalf of everyone who was flying in the area then, thank you for making the call and not tying the airspace for an hour.

what am I missing here? you got your clearance on the ground and were going to contact them once airborne anyways, no? why would marginal vfr change that?*

*in my defense, I read about every 5th word of every sentence like I normally do, so maybe I missed something.

What's a pay phone?

Small booths containing a coin operated telephone, commonly used as urinals....

1143471_1_m.jpg

what am I missing here? you got your clearance on the ground and were going to contact them once airborne anyways, no? why would marginal vfr change that?*
Sorry, I guess the post wasn't clear enough. Although I was #2 for departure and my void time should have been long enough, the 152 in front of me waiting for some inbound traffic, then waiting for another 152 doing pattern work to land changed my ability to take off before my clearance became void.

On behalf of everyone who was flying in the area then, thank you for making the call and not tying the airspace for an hour.
It would not have been an hour. It would only have been a few minutes past my void time before I contacted ATC. There's a good chance that ATC might not have noticed or cared, but I dint know that and figure "clearance void" means "clearance void."

Sorry, I guess the post wasn't clear enough. Although I was #2 for departure and my void time should have been long enough, the 152 in front of me waiting for some inbound traffic, then waiting for another 152 doing pattern work to land changed my ability to take off before my clearance became void.

ahhh, got it now, thanks.

It would not have been an hour. It would only have been a few minutes past my void time before I contacted ATC. There's a good chance that ATC might not have noticed or cared, but I dint know that and figure "clearance void" means "clearance void."
And you did contact them and tell them you didn’t depart. If you hadn’t, they have to assume you did and were Nordo and they have to restrict/suspend traffic for 30 minutes. It used to be an hour, don’t know when it changed. I can’t copy and paste for some reason. 7110.65 10-4-1

Back