Non registered homebuilts

I thought people built basically new supercubs off approved/certified parts and existing data plates all the time?

I'm doing that exact thing right now. Only thing I'm using from the original airplane is the horizontal stab, rudder and some interior pieces. Since it is a certified Cub I'm using all PMA and STC parts. It will have a 12" stack of paperwork when it is all done. Next up is an experimental Supercub that got bent and it will only need logbook entries of work performed and parts replaced. Don

I think you mean all "approved" parts. Certainly nearly the entire Cub was constructed with parts that were neither PMA or STC. To do so with only PMA/STC parts would be a daunting challenge.

I'm doing that exact thing right now. Only thing I'm using from the original airplane is the horizontal stab, rudder and some interior pieces. Since it is a certified Cub I'm using all PMA and STC parts. It will have a 12" stack of paperwork when it is all done. Next up is an experimental Supercub that got bent and it will only need logbook entries of work performed and parts replaced. Don
the key to your success is to "start" with parts from the original production aircraft. Without the original....it turns south and gets ugly quickly.

And why would you say without "original" parts things would go south? Why use original antiquated parts when you can use new "approved" if you want to split hairs parts. I have an Airframes Alaska fuselage 4" wider with all the increased gross weight and Alaska mods. Dakota Cub wings with fixed slots that are nicer than anything Piper made. I am in the finishing stages and nothing has turned ugly. Don

cause the data tag sez....Piper is the builder....if original parts are not used....then that data tag no longer applies.

That's why there are PMA and STC'd parts and also what field approvals are for. Piper hasn't built any Cub parts for years. Don

Back