Non-Owner Pilot Insurance

flyguy_17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
flyguy_17
Hey guys I have been wondering about getting insurance as a private pilot who rents and is not an owner. I guess I just always figured I was covered under the insurance of the rental airplane (I know, I know what they say about assuming :nono:). Luckily I have had zero incidents in my 10 years of flying so far. I was talking with my buddy/ex boss/renter and asked him a little about it and he said he really wasn't sure how much his aircraft insurance covered me as the pilot, if any. And that if an incident ever occures while I am flying his aircraft, his insurance company will likely come after me personally to recover their losses, weather he wants them to or not :yikes:. We are going to set up a time to call his insurance provider to get clarification and details on his policy. In the mean time I have been looking into AOPA's non-owner coverage and a couple others. But I would like to get some input on this, so do you carry your own coverage as a renter?

I borrow and rent many different makes and models. I carry non-owners insurance.

I shoot for the most expensive hull valve I fly.

You bet my assets I do. And even if you are a named insured under your rental operator's policy, you may still be on the hook for the deductible, as well as the operator's uninsured losses (like loss of use of the aircraft while it's being repaired).

Bottom line: Unless you're writing the check for the insurance don't expect to be covered by the policy.

When I was young, dumb and broke, I didn't have renters insurance. Now that I'm only one out of the three, I have insurance.

My tip is call the company and ask about any discounts. I get credit for recurrent training from Avemco.

Back