Non inclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Became a member earlier this evening and I see people being less than inclusive. I know it’s the internet but I’m surprised noninclusion is accepted here, that just isn’t right.

Became a member earlier this evening and I see people being less than inclusive. I know it’s the internet but I’m surprised noninclusion is accepted here, that just isn’t right.

Welcome to POA ...

You mean like people not listing their pronouns and stuff ?

Welcome to POA.

I am curious what you mean, though. Is POA not inclusive because others are sometimes allowed to share opinions and morals that aren't yours? If only your ideas of the world are allowed, how is that inclusive? Inclusivity is allowing people to exist with opinions and ideas that don't match your own. You don't have to like it, or think there is any merit in others' opinions, but real inclusivity is letting everyone coexist and discuss and discover other opinions, whether or not you agree with them.

took you what, a whole 2 hours or so to get offended?

giphy.gif

Ah, I see now, you are here to evangelize. Not really a good place as this is quite the melting pot of many different backgrounds, most easily triggered by religion. In fact I’m pretty sure it’s in the conditions you should have read that religion and politics are off limits here, hence some of the reactions you’ve seen. Most likely this thread will be shut down, now you know why. Keep it up and they’ll boot you. Otherwise, Happy Easter.

What is your definition of inclusion?

Around here, inclusion is defined as anyone who wants to join, and accepting the defined TOS…aka the rules you agreed to. The Internet is international and not limited or required to follow constitutional conditions.

But wait! Which constitution? Again, what are your definitions?

... Those in charge of this forum should really consider the implications of limiting constitutional protections, else they may find themselves in doo doo....
U.S. constitutional protections prescribe what the government may and may not do. This forum is not part of any government.

If you're talking about persons being excluded, I've only seen that for violating the forum's rules of conduct. If you haven't read them, they can be found at the bottom of the Help menu, or click here:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

in·clu·sive
1. including or covering all the services, facilities, or items normally expected or required.
"the price is inclusive, with few incidentals"
2. not excluding any of the parties or groups involved in something.
"only an inclusive peace process will end the conflict"

I don't post here to feel "included" in something. I've been on this board since 2009 and have developed exactly zero friends or relationships on here. I don't chat or engaged with others. I don't come here for social interaction with others of the same interest.

I come here to get learn, opinions, ideas, suggestions, on flying and aircraft ownership related issues. That's it.

It doesn't matter what forum you are on these days, people are harsh. It makes no difference that I have been a pilot for 30 years and posting here for 14 years, people will immediately berate me over the slightest statement.

If you are looking for some kind of support-group-like experience, you will not find that in any GA forum I know of.

Also, using generic terms like "inclusive" actually doesn't mean anything. It sounds like you may have some pre-conceived definition of the word. If you have a question about flying or being a pilot, ask away. Make sure you parse your question carefully. You are likely to get at least one relevant answer.

If your idea is that the members here are one happy, supportive, encouraging group of pilots, you will be sorely disappointed. Welcome to social media...

See, this is what causes divisiveness and puts people on the defensive and makes them choose sides.

If you had come on here and said "I'm a gay (trans/black/straight) pilot and I'd like to know how to fly an approach, you would have had people ask why you felt it was necessary to proclaim your personal information, then they would have proceeded to lampoon you for any number of reasons, except for being (gay/trans/black/whatever), just as they would me (well, maybe not THAT much).

So go ahead; ask an aviation question, or even ask how to make cole slaw. You will be treated as one of us.
Or tell us that you demand to be called by your favorite pronouns and you will probably be told to pound sand.

I think what you're taking exception to, after viewing your posting history, is the straight talk you're getting on topics.

Flying in general, and POA specifically, does not believe in participation trophies or worrying about feelings. Facts are what rule in flying, not feelings. Nobody FEELS you should lose your life just because you got a few knots slow on the base to final turn. However, the FACT is that you very well can lose your life if you do not catch it in time and stall/spin it in. So, we are taught not to do that. We are not taught to complain on the internet about how mean reality is.

You sound like you're looking for people who will say "Ooooh, tell us more about you feeling closer to God when you're flying" or "Yeah, those big bad mechanics and flight schools are playing hardball and it hurts your feelings that you weren't prepared for it, you should litigate against them immediately". You are not going to find that at POA.

I do find it interesting that at 10:57pm, you said:
Seems like you judge more often than you don’t.

And then at 11:06pm (NINE minutes!), you fell to your own point by posting:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

But, as I do fancy a spot of facts, especially from people who primarily deal w/ emotions, please enlighten us on what part of this site is non-inclusive and also what code of law we are running afoul of. After all, a good debate is based upon facts being presented. You made the accusations, now please back them up. Or concede that you made them up.

Those in charge of this forum should really consider the implications of limiting constitutional protections, else they may find themselves in doo doo.

Also, as a certain group liked to say about Twitter and others (back before Elon bought it out) when it was banning people (and still does, although this seems to have changes some in it's trajectory) Freedom of speech in the constitution does not protect you from other peoples' response to your speech. So, again, please explain the constitutional protections being limited and the horrific "doo doo" that you think is looming.

I am quite curious to see your well reasoned response. And welcome to POA.

*edit for spelling

Last edited:

why, bless your heart, little one

Is it because we want to talk about all things aviation, so we aren't going out of our way to talk with folks that do not want to talk about aviation?
Hey, if you want to talk about cast iron kitchenware, I'm sure there are folks here that would chime in, but that would be a side note to the aviation talk.

Is it because we want to talk about all things aviation, so we aren't going out of our way to talk with folks that do not want to talk about aviation?
Hey, if you want to talk about cast iron kitchenware, I'm sure there are folks here that would chime in, but that would be a side note to the aviation talk.

I got a new.... | Pilots of America

Oh I’ve lurked here for weeks. You’ve got opinions on everything imaginable and you have no personal experience to back it up. It’s honestly laughable. Inclusion involves the cohesion of EVERYONE. Not leaving anyone out and hearing the opinions of those we may not agree with. Those in charge of this forum should really consider the implications of limiting constitutional protections, else they may find themselves in doo doo. I’ve seen this episode play out before on other platforms.

I get that you don't agree with me, but you don't have to. That is the beauty of (mostly) free speech. That is what inclusivity really is. I don't have to agree with you, nor do you have to agree with me, but we can both express our opinions. I may believe things that you do not, and may even believe that things that you and others are fine with are morally wrong, but me existing and expressing my opinions does not, or at least should not, threaten your existence. I'm just some poster on an internet forum.

The moderators here are generally very fair, but they are not required to be. It's an internet forum, with terms and rules that you agree to abide by when you join. Those rules include limits on topics, such as religion and politics. They disallow personal attacks, and more. That doesn't mean they are in violation of the constitution. You agree to play by the rules when signing up. Most "inclusivity" topics fall under either political or religious themes. Most political and religious threads get locked because they are not technically allowed by the rules you agreed to follow at sign-up, not because POA isn't "inclusive".

Also, you complain that I don't have personal experience to back up my opinions. Some of my opinions are based on others' experiences, like my desire to not fly into IMC when flying VFR. Some of it is based on facts, such as my belief you should never take off with low fuel. And most of the time, I don't share my personal experience because this is an internet forum, and I don't like to share a lot of my everyday life or past on the internet. You may not appreciate that, but that's okay.

If you start an aviation thread, a thread about your dog, a thread about your motorcycle, or even a thread about what kind of broom is best to use, people will most likely reply and engage with you. I hope you stick around and be a part of the community. It definitely has its warts, but it's usually a fun place to hang out.

Last edited:
Thread closed, pending MC discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back