Non aviation career shift/ mid life crisis

If I were in your shoes....I'd go for it and make a clean break from your dad. Doesn't sound like you could be happy working for someone else and you know the business. Keep taking the profitable jobs and grow. Eventually you'll have too much work and you'll have to find space....maybe even buy land and build what you need. But, this day was coming. Not sure what arrangements you had with your dad....but eventually you need your business.

I don’t think I’d shut down your business for a lease. There’s no guarantees that they would pay or be in business during the next downturn. Plus, it’s frankly a lot of work to be dealing with this headache and to move shops especially when it is a large space.

I’d say pass on this tenant.
Tenant has been there since before my time. '88 I believe. Solid Gold. Equipment dealer with competitors in the area. Shortly after Dad bought the place while he was building his side. They paid the previous tenant to get his crap out in 60 days. Corporate told the dealer they needed to be in a specific location and they've got 6 other branches and expanding a current product line.

Paying him the coin to lease out the whole space would be an option if the other suite was more usable to me. The way that side is currently set up it's 2400 sq ft of office. Office space I don't need, but with that part having low ceilings it would do nothing for me even if I tore it out. It's a building that was built in essentially 4 parts. Their current office area , then while dad built our original 2400sq ft shop, the showed up they wanted a back shop to service equipment. Then in '96 dad built the back shop to match the what the other suite. The inability to cut a 1" plate or anything and not be able to crane it over to the other suite would be a time suck.

If I were in your shoes....I'd go for it and make a clean break from your dad. Doesn't sound like you could be happy working for someone else and you know the business. Keep taking the profitable jobs and grow. Eventually you'll have too much work and you'll have to find space....maybe even buy land and build what you need. But, this day was coming. Not sure what arrangements you had with your dad....but eventually you need your business.
The arrangement was for him to retire and just bid jobs when he felt like it or if I needed him to. He's also owns my neighbor so I don't get away from him. I definitely get kickbacks in addition to my salary.

But I think that's my plan to be more selective and grow....but finding a place to do that with the requirements I have is proving difficult. All these industrial condo's either don't have the headroom or don't have the power. 100 amp service don't cut it. That's residential power.

The arrangement was for him to retire and just bid jobs when he felt like it or if I needed him to. He's also owns my neighbor so I don't get away from him. I definitely get kickbacks in addition to my salary.

But I think that's my plan to be more selective and grow....but finding a place to do that with the requirements I have is proving difficult.
You're going to have to weigh the advantages of space for your business....and driving 30-45 minutes might make it worth it for a few years till you can build up enough cash to buy something closer and make it yours.

You're going to have to weigh the advantages of space for your business....and driving 30-45 minutes might make it worth it for a few years till you can build up enough cash to buy something closer and make it yours.
Actually looking at a place later this week. Seems to foot the bill. Quite a bit bigger than I need. But is a 4 unit space. 1 being mostly office. And could probably lease it out. But 30-45 min away. But 5 minutes from an airport...

My other option is my grandpa built a 3 bay 4000 sq ft shop years ago and it's mostly vacant aside from being packed to the gills with his crap. My uncle is in one bay so I wouldn't be able to use the whole thing. After my grandpa passed my uncle started to clean it out...but then his father in law passed and packed the whole thing up again. Needs a new roof and 3 ph power...and a convoy of rolloffs to get the crap out. My uncle thinks like my grandpa and has difficulty throwing out that new old stock Chaparral snowmobile carburetor cuz it's worth money on ebay. Despite my grandma owning it and having her encouragement to start chucking, the uncle is gonna be the problem. I'll pay for the roof, and new insulation and the crazy number to bring power in....and fix all the plumbing and electric my grandpa never quite finished as that was his M.O. but he's gotta chuck it all....except that Clausing lathe. He can leave that.

Gotta love doing business with family. Me and dad have made it work. He's also my neighbor so I can't get away.

I can't help you here, but I can sell you some metal working equipment. :rofl:

Got everything except the track welder. No real use for that. Have a cold saw that goes unused. I am fortunate where the ol man has everything paid for and doesn't need to sell anything and is letting me have it. 12' shear that cuts up to 3/8 plate, thing weighs 25,000 pounds and wherever I go ill have to get a 30" slab just for it. 5x10 CNC plasma table cuts up to 1-1/4". Ironworker. Horizontal band saw. 12' press brake that bends full length 3/8" plate. A rotary CNC plasma would really be nice when it comes to fabricating railings and staircases. No need to layout and mag drill holes in the stringers just have the plasma can blow the holes in it. And it would do all the cutting/notching for railings. About 60k out the door.

About the only other thing I've been looking into that I don't already have is a line bore rig. The John Deere (forestry/construction) dealer has a mechanic that does that for them. He doesn't like doing it and that's one option for me if I do work for someone. But then again, I could just buy the rig and also work on other machines. I already work for them when they need a thumb welded up or to modify a loader bucket to take a JRB quicktach. The new Bobcat skid steers have all cast steel loader arms. No more cutting out and welding in new bushings. So line boring is the only option.

Got everything except the track welder. No real use for that. Have a cold saw that goes unused. I am fortunate where the ol man has everything paid for and doesn't need to sell anything and is letting me have it. 12' shear that cuts up to 3/8 plate, thing weighs 25,000 pounds and wherever I go ill have to get a 30" slab just for it. 5x10 CNC plasma table cuts up to 1-1/4". Ironworker. Horizontal band saw. 12' press brake that bends full length 3/8" plate. A rotary CNC plasma would really be nice when it comes to fabricating railings and staircases. No need to layout and mag drill holes in the stringers just have the plasma can blow the holes in it. And it would do all the cutting/notching for railings. About 60k out the door.

About the only other thing I've been looking into that I don't already have is a line bore rig. The John Deere (forestry/construction) dealer has a mechanic that does that for them. He doesn't like doing it and that's one option for me if I do work for someone. But then again, I could just buy the rig and also work on other machines. I already work for them when they need a thumb welded up or to modify a loader bucket to take a JRB quicktach. The new Bobcat skid steers have all cast steel loader arms. No more cutting out and welding in new bushings. So line boring is the only option.
What kind of ironworker ya got? Forgot about band saws, got those too. Need a lifting magnet? Pipe notcher? Custom saw blade? Ok, I'll stop.

Racerx: This might not be your bag on welding, but the gentleman that Steve spends the day with, has some very interesting tidbits about operating his welding business. Especially about business costs and the decisions on taking on work vs the cost to do the work. Worth the hour or so to watch.

A little under the weather so got through a bit of it. Copper really isn't that difficult to work with. Similar to aluminum being such a good thermal conductor. Made a copper gas tank for my buddies chopper. But something that thick, better wear your leathers.

What kind of ironworker ya got? Forgot about band saws, got those too. Need a lifting magnet? Pipe notcher? Custom saw blade? Ok, I'll stop.
Use plate pickers for sheets/plate. Only cut up to 1-1/4 and got a 1.5" picker. Have the pipe notcher. One reason I'd like a rotary CNC. One less operation to eliminate if the plasma does the cutting and notching. Draw it in cad. Cut it. Done. Theoretically. Ironworker is a Geka Hydracrop 110...Had an older Scotchman before the Geka. Bought the Geka and Durma press at the same time and got a deal as the dealer was trying to launch the line in the US....or at least that's the story he was sold.

Last edited:
Racerx: Wasn't the copper that go me, but all the little things about running his business that were mentioned in a casual manor, and why he was still doing it after all these years.

Use plate pickers for sheets/plate. Only cut up to 1-1/4 and got a 1.5" picker. Have the pipe notcher. One reason I'd like a rotary CNC. One less operation to eliminate if the plasma does the cutting and notching. Draw it in cad. Cut it. Done. Theoretically. Ironworker is a Geka Hydracrop 110...Had an older Scotchman before the Geka. Bought the Geka and Durma press at the same time and got a deal as the dealer was trying to launch the line in the US....or at least that's the story he was sold.
How about a portable two axis CNC plasma cutter? Apparently we have one of those. Who knew.

How about a portable two axis CNC plasma cutter? Apparently we have one of those. Who knew.
Negative. Never even heard of one being portable. Prior to my rotary CNC plasma brainstorm I was all set on upgrading to a 6x12 3 axis high definition machine. But that was also before the new building flamed out. Had thoughts on 6 axis, but it's a rarity I need plate beveled.

Potentially good news. One of the building I was looking at that wasn't listed will apparently being going up for auction in a couple weeks. My history with auctions isn't good. But this would fit the bill and solve all the worlds problems.

Racerx: Wasn't the copper that go me, but all the little things about running his business that were mentioned in a casual manor, and why he was still doing it after all these years.
Oh I know. The copper part was my hook though. The clickbait got me. Plus didn't realize they used giant copper pipe like that in the industry.

Negative. Never even heard of one being portable. Prior to my rotary CNC plasma brainstorm I was all set on upgrading to a 6x12 3 axis high definition machine. But that was also before the new building flamed out. Had thoughts on 6 axis, but it's a rarity I need plate beveled.

Potentially good news. One of the building I was looking at that wasn't listed will apparently being going up for auction in a couple weeks. My history with auctions isn't good. But this would fit the bill and solve all the worlds problems.
Well....know what to bid...so you don't over buy. And be ready to aggressively bid and have the cash or means to complete the transaction.

Well....know what to bid...so you don't over buy. And be ready to aggressively bid and have the cash or means to complete the transaction.
Cash auction at courthouse January 23. 1.5m is probably my limit. About where the assessor has the market value at. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it goes for stupid money. Guessing 3m. 20,000sq ft multi tenant industrial building on 5 acres. Plenty of yard space. Power is there, has ceiling height, easy truck access. Partially leased out. And only a 2 minute further drive.

Getting my ducks in a row now.

Back