Non-aviation - automotive light fixture gasket ideas

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
One of the problems on the Subaru center mounted rear brake like is a weather gasket failure. This lets water drip into either the trunk or hacthback area.

Here's a photo of what someone else has found, and what I expect to find when I take mine off.

An option is to run a bead of black sealant and then remount it, but I'm thinking that's going to look a little too DIY when it oozes out. Anybody tried any other gasket material that would work better for something like this (other than buying a $50 light with a new gasket glued on)?

attachment.php.jpeg

That looks like weatherstripping foam tape.

I ended up finding some closed cell neoprene and double-sided adhesive. I'll just cut a new gasket out of that.

Glue the weather stripping back in position butting the ends together. After everything has set, smear a small amount of silicon grease (or similar) on the mating surface so there is a definite parting point if it is ever disassembled again. That's what the factory omitted. Saved them maybe 1 cent per car & gave them a chance to sell that new $50 lite!

Glue the weather stripping back in position butting the ends together. After everything has set, smear a small amount of silicon grease (or similar) on the mating surface so there is a definite parting point if it is ever disassembled again. That's what the factory omitted. Saved them maybe 1 cent per car & gave them a chance to sell that new $50 lite!
That photo is not mine, it's an example of what the problem is. I'll see if I have time to pull my light off sometime this weekend and find out what's hiding behind it. I expect to find something similar.

Consider something like this Neoprene Weather Stripping 2" W X 1/8". Cut the shape needed with a straight edge and razor.

One example of many:
https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Wea...9&sr=1-1-12d4272d-8adb-4121-8624-135149aa9081
Thanks.

That's pretty much what I ended up with. I have a roll of neoprene and a roll of double-sided adhesive. I cut a piece off of each and stuck one surface of the adhesive to one surface of the neoprene. I'll cut a new gasket, peel off the remaining liner from the adhesive, and stick it onto the light fixture. Should be better than new. The foam I have is a little thinner than the one in that link. Hopefully it's thick enough. Judging by the open cell foam in the picture (first post), I think what I have will work OK. If not, I can double it up.

Edit: Looks like what I have is 1/8" also.

An option is to run a bead of black sealant and then remount it, but I'm thinking that's going to look a little too DIY when it oozes out.

I see you've found a fix but I wanted to interject a note. The bead of silicone is a good idea if you can keep it small and even. The trick to using it is to apply it to one surface and let it dry before replacing the light.

Many people use silicone with gaskets but silicone can be messy and very nasty and not a great idea when a proper gasket is used.

FWIW ... the post about gluing the gasket on one side and then using a light coat of grease on the other is the method I generally use.

I see you've found a fix but I wanted to interject a note. The bead of silicone is a good idea if you can keep it small and even. The trick to using it is to apply it to one surface and let it dry before replacing the light.

Many people use silicone with gaskets but silicone can be messy and very nasty and not a great idea when a proper gasket is used.

FWIW ... the post about gluing the gasket on one side and then using a light coat of grease on the other is the method I generally use.
I don't have enough of a steady hand to get a nice even bead of silicone.

For similar jobs I use Flex Paste. The 9 oz. cartridge is $13, it comes in white or black, and Ace Hardware carries it. For a nice even radius bead I use a popsicle stick.

I don't have enough of a steady hand to get a nice even bead of silicone.

If ya put like black etc in between the parts and mated em- just wipe it all clean down into the crack where ya can’t see it. A paper towel with light amount of solvent would do the trick. The silicone between the halves is the seal- not so much the part you can see so wipe it gone

As seen on TV:
59367_2000x2000.jpg

I'm trying for a permanent/not permanent fix. I want the leak permanently sealed off, but I need to be able to remove the light in case it ever needs replacing so I can't permanently glue it back into place.

I have to remove a piece of interior trim, disconnect the wiring, then remove a couple fasteners holding it in place.

2011+Subaru+Outback+3.6R+Limited+3.6L+6+Cyl.%2FLights+CBL+-+Part+1.png

Here's what it looks like from the back:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that it has a drain hole for water that gets in from the outer perimeter of the weather strip. But if any water gets inside the weather strip it drips into the vehicle. You can just see the drain hole in the lower picture, it's next to one of the fastener studs.

Masking tape is your friend. Mask around the light prior to removal. Remove light, apply sealer, install light, remove the ooze when you pull off the masking tape. easy peasy.

Back