Noise abatement departure

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin

See, I told ya you can get up there within the field boundary. All those pilots whining about noise abatement profiles are just a bunch of weenies.

Can't tell the actual pitch, he could have been at 45-degrees nose high, maybe even 60 but you can't tell from this camera angle.
They like to do that at airshows to stun/entertain the audience. It's doable from a good angle (if they are flying away)
Also, you can see that he could not sustain the climb rate, he leveled off once his airspeed dropped too low. "Zoom climb" anyone? :)

Cool stunt, though. I am not knocking it, merely pointing out that the camera angle embellishes it.
I have been in max perf takeoffs with 8000fpm zoom climbs in small jets before, it is a lot of fun! :)

Can't tell the actual pitch, he could have been at 45-degrees nose high, maybe even 60 but you can't tell from this camera angle.
They like to do that at airshows to stun/entertain the audience. It's doable from a good angle (if they are flying away)
Also, you can see that he could not sustain the climb rate, he leveled off once his airspeed dropped too low. "Zoom climb" anyone? :)

Cool stunt, though. I am not knocking it, merely pointing out that the camera angle embellishes it.
I have been in max perf takeoffs with 8000fpm zoom climbs in small jets before, it is a lot of fun! :)
I don't know what the objective criteria are, but it doesn't look like a zoom climb to me. I consider a zoom climb to be when you stay horizontal long enough to build up sufficient speed and then turn it into altitude. It looked to me like he was climbing on thrust. But IANAAP.

ETA: according to various, extremely reliable internet sources, it appears the plane has something around 56,000 lbs of thrust and an empty weight in the vicinity of 70-80,000 lbs.

Last edited:
it doesn't look like a zoom climb to me. I consider a zoom climb to be when you stay horizontal long enough to build up sufficient speed and then turn it into altitude. It looked to me like he was climbing on thrust.

Agreed.

After rotating, he did not spend even one second building up speed with a near-horizontal pitch. He pitched up mightily, from the very start.

The definition of "...fly straight out." after receiving a takeoff clearance.

Back