No Olympics in Boston 2024

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
Excellent.

To avoid SZ, I'll refrain from giving all the reasons why this USOC decision is good for Boston and the surrounding area.

Thank you USOC.

Let some other country foot the bill for a billion dollar stadium that will be useless after the Olympics.

Let some other country foot the bill for a billion dollar stadium that will be useless after the Olympics.

As an aside, they're not all useless after the Olympics are over. The Atlanta Braves have been playing in the '96 Olympic Stadium for nearly 20 years now.

As an aside, they're not all useless after the Olympics are over. The Atlanta Braves have been playing in the '96 Olympic Stadium for nearly 20 years now.

I'm not disagreeing in general, but Boston doesn't need any new stadiums

Go ahead, just try to claim that Fenway needs to be replaced, I dare you. :)

It's 103 years old, time for a new one.

age is not necessarily a justification for replacement.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Boston is an old city ,that would benefit little from a total makeover. The people of the city where not crazy in favor of footing the bill. The Olympics have never run on budget.

Just one more example that no one really gives a crap about the environment, (or the tax payer for that matter)

Just one more example that no one really gives a crap about the environment, (or the tax payer for that matter)
The taxpayers in Colorado voted not to fund the 1976 Winter Olympics after they had already been awarded. That was a good decision made better because the committee had overstated many things in the proposal.

It's amazing what the infrastructure for the Olympics costs. The networks should foot the bill.

It's amazing what the infrastructure for the Olympics costs. The networks should foot the bill.

You might be on to something. I remember watching a TV documentary on the building of the new swim center for the UK Olympics. Interesting stuff, but a very, very expensive price tag just so something might look good during the brief micro flashes in the background during the broadcast.

Boston's a nice town. But I really don't see hosting the Olympics to be in it's best short and long term interests.

I can't see any reason that a city would want the Olympics. Cost, disruption, security, etc. The so-called "economic development" rarely if ever covers the cost to the city and it's residents.

I can't see any reason that a city would want the Olympics. Cost, disruption, security, etc. The so-called "economic development" rarely if ever covers the cost to the city and it's residents.

I would love to see the accounting for an Olympics. If your city needs the infrastructure that you will build for the event, then there can be some justification, but the whole "the tax revenue from increased business and tourism during the Olympics" never does seem to offset the costs from the General Fund. The ones that prosper from the Olympics is the media and sponsors. Let them buy the infrastructure so the local community gets something out of hosting, not just creating a bunch of Ponzi construction jobs that the taxpayer is stuck paying for when more important projects were needed.

Does anyone recall if the olympics of the olden days (say pre- and just post WW2) had the big push for building new structures that today's events appear to create?

The taxpayers in Colorado voted not to fund the 1976 Winter Olympics after they had already been awarded. That was a good decision made better because the committee had overstated many things in the proposal.

Wonder what would happen if they voted on it today.

Does anyone recall if the olympics of the olden days (say pre- and just post WW2) had the big push for building new structures that today's events appear to create?

Yes, all the "Modern Olympics" have been major production affairs to serve as demonstration, showcases of economic and industrial strength. The 36 Olympics ushered in the age of Television even.

Last edited:
Yes, all the "Modern Olympics" have been major production affairs to serve as demonstration, showcases of economic and industrial strength. The 36 Olympics ushered in the age of Television even.

For my knowledge, define "modern olympics"

So, since the 1896 Olympics were held in Athens, and based on the various lines of thinking in this thread, we may have discovered the original reason for Greece curren financial troubles. They are still trying to pay for 120 year old infrastructure improvements.

So, since the 1896 Olympics were held in Athens, and based on the various lines of thinking in this thread, we may have discovered the original reason for Greece curren financial troubles. They are still trying to pay for 120 year old infrastructure improvements.

The Greeks have the same problem everyone does, they have imaginary money representing resources that is being skimmed off by those imagining it into existence, then being moved to a tax shelter while the people have to figure out how to pay for the money these other guys imagined and took for themselves. Everything you have belongs to them, because you have to trade your stuff for their money, and there are speculators using the same imagined money, and leveraging it against other imagined monies, who set the price as to how much you will be paid. All these people create money out of nothing. That is why the world is in the mess it is in.

Last edited:
Wonder what would happen if they voted on it today.
Pretty sure it would get voted down again. I think people would be opposed to the congestion and disruption it would bring, let alone the economic issue. Everyone knows there are winter sports in Colorado. It's not as if it needs promotion.

It's all about graft and corruption, he who can steal the most wins! It's the Olympic and FIFA way! :mad2:

It's all about graft and corruption, he who can steal the most wins! It's the Olympic and FIFA way! :mad2:

Yes it is about graft and corruption. It has little to do with sportsmanship or good will . After the big dig fiasco, Boston is understandably gun shy. Who could blame them?!

Back