"No Officer, I'm not High"

The OP is lucky he wasn't choked to death for having dilated pupils.

That was stupid :rolleyes:

So was arresting a guy for selling single cigarettes and choking him to death by a small thug gang of officers pretending they thought he was a threat to their safety.

We can all play at that game, if you don't want to have a conversation.

An asset forfeiture trap set up and run by the 1% bad apples. I hear the NYPD is on an informal strike just standing around in warm buildings while the city goes on its business. Joke will be on them when everyone realizes they ain't needed and aren't missed. Spare us the protect and serve crap the sc has ruled the cops have to do no such thing. Thug tax collectors for the king is all they are. Except in some places where they behave more like an occupying army then tax collectors. Funny that those places are starting to treat them like an occupying army. Guess who is going to win?

The 1% is way too low for asset forfeiture corruption. Entire divisions of law enforcement agencies run on the proceeds from such assets and the Federal bonus money for additional gear whenever their arrest numbers go up.

As far as NYC goes, there's way too many sheep there to effect any serious change in how things operate who were raised there and have never seen a city with orders of magnitude less corruption and political behemoths with giant wallets capable of purchasing whatever politician they like. They honestly don't know there's anything different.

Same thing with Chicago. It's assumed the Alderman is completely corrupt. Never assumed they're on the level. This is not a cultural assumption based on paranoia, but on observed decades of consistent behavior.

So, I give the big Apple and the Windy City (amongst others) less than a snowball's chance in hell of ever having a culture of personal freedom and a desire not to have their usual ever-present government meddling in their lives. They're completely used to it. Frogs boiled slowly in water.

Real world is far, far from the theoretical or idealized liberty that is guaranteed in the BOR. If you don't say exactly the right thing, in the right way to an LEO you are going to get the anal probe one way or another.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but in the past few years, you are no longer entitled to remain mute and allow your natural rights to be sustained. You now have to actually verbally decline to answer or you could be deemed to be guilty by reason of non-response. So, in this case, the OP had three choices. 1. Say nothing to the LEO. This can and often does lead to further interrogation where you are then required to affirm your defense(or claim your right to remain silent - by speaking!) or be detained, leading to further involvement. 2. Tell the truth, either way you have to respond. If you actually are high, you are also required to tell the truth because lying to an LEO is a separate crime. If you are not high, you still are required to verbally issue the denial. 3. This one is my favorite, and it's tried and true: "I want a lawyer". Anything beyond that the LEO requires reasonable and articulable suspicion. Are dilated pupils, absent any other evidence reasonable and articulable? According to the LEO on the street, it sure will be. Luckily, as he proceeds, you've notified him that nothing coming will be legal in your prosecution.

From my modest experience on the 'other end' of the interaction with LEO, they really, really hate to hear "lawyer". The best part is, once you use the magic word, you don't have to say anything else. Just don't start babbling like a dork, dancing on one foot, making fart noises, etc. Just act normally, say the word, and continue on with your day. If the LEO is going to press it, at least you are now protected.

Here's a guy who knew the LEO was wrong, pointed it out, and the grandpa got tased for his effort. The LEO is now fired, and may face criminal charges which would be suitable.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/man-stunned-taser-during-traffic-230836210.html

Did the court actually say the declining of answering questions had to be *verbal*, specifically?

I'd like to read that.

I've been considering just printing up business cards (and I believe someone who's a lawyer here on PoA has done this for the specific circumstance of DUI checkpoints) that clearly and respectfully declines to answer anything. with an explanation that it's not intended as anything personal to the officer.

The card shows its a consistent and conscious choice utilized every time.

Doesn't even have to go into all that detail, even. Just print the declination statement on it and hand it over.

But I think it lacks tact in many ways. It also hints that you have way too many encounters with LE if you bothered to print them.

So, a simple, "[Insert pleasantry here... Good morning, good afternoon, whatever...] I'm sorry, I do not ever answer questions posed by law enforcement for any reason without an attorney present. I mean no disrespect.", said with an appropriate friendly demeanor, is my current phrase.

Luckily, I've only had to say it once. I don't attract much LE attention, for good reason... I don't do stupid stuff. I don't even speed. I literally broke my own rule about that ONCE this year, and guess what I got. A ticket. On a damn county dirt road from the Sheriff's brother who isn't even a beat cop, he's the equivalent of a Detective out here. (Screw it. Speed limit is fine by me. That was enough to stop that crap. I annoy the crap out of the other country bumpkins with my cruise set at 40 on the dirt. Feel free to pass, go run up there and get a ticket. Not my problem, Jethrow.)

In this particular instance, the officer was understanding and respectful and went on his way.

Not all are. I see zero point in starting an argument with a street officer who can call on a radio and have a pile of buddies there to beat my ass, who'll all gladly claim that I did something threatening. Because frankly, while most officers aren't that guy, he and his buddies are out there.

Oh goody. They'll apologize later. Maybe I'll win a court case. And the city will pay out taxpayer's money that cost them nothing. BFD.

Bummer for me if I ran into the rage-afflicted ass who DPD has already paid out $3M on, and keeps him on the streets. Yeah. That's a real guy. And a real number. $3M settling violence cases against one single DPD officer. He's not off the street and he's not on desk duty. Who the hell knows what district they put him in? But he's there.

I know they can outspend me in court. Even if I win, everyone loses.

Other times when I've bothered to be polite, and answer seemingly innocuous questions, it just kicks in that screwed up part of LE's brains that makes them think each answered question should lead to another one, interrogation style. Screw that. They may waste my time badgering me anyway, but there's zero point to having a conversation about it.

Bothering to answer the stupid **** like, "Where are you going this evening?" And the ever popular, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" are just asking for more trouble. It never leads anywhere but further questioning. Ever.

It's not idle chit chat, they're on the job, and while I'd love to joke around like I did when I was younger, and cops weren't treating everyone they meet like criminals, it simply isn't in the cards anymore.

"Headed to grandma's house to mow her lawn!" at 3AM. "Looking for a phone booth to change into my Superman costume and there's only a few left!"

Ha. Yeah. Not worth it anymore.

You need to get out more . . . . the conclusions in this response are laughable.

A police officer is going to search you if he stops you for any period of time REGARDLESS of what you do or say. Especially at night. Especially in certain parts of town. More especially involving certain persons they KNOW are criminals in the way that you know what streets to not drive down at night in your own home town. . . .

I work with cops on a regular basis. Your answer is pure BS. You have no clue what your talking about and your speculation is what, heard from a guy that saw it on the news and he heard it from another guy who was his bestest friend on their way to grandmas house?

Do bad searches happen Sometimes? Yes. Do prosecutors attempt to prosecute with a case with bad evidence? Not if they want to keep their credibility. Weigh the merits w/o the evidence and if it will stick, move forward. If not, NOLO the case and move on.

You're trying to muddy the waters which is surprisingly clear on face value.

Unit74 watches too much law and order. Edit to add; The thing the blue liners don't understand is the police and prosecutors lost the default moral high ground a long time ago.

Last edited:
Unit74 watches too much law and order. Edit to add; The thing the blue liners don't understand is the police and prosecutors lost the default moral high ground a long time ago.

Unfortunately, no.... My TV is usually stuck on Nick Jr. the original Law and Order was a great show. But when they went from real proceedings to scripted studio work it lost its appeal(pun intended)

As far as the moral ground, well, if you can figure out how to stop people from stealing your, sheet, making, selling, doing drugs, stop hurting other people I am all ears. I'm tired of it all too. Working in a constant state of, "That makes me sick. I can't believe he/she did that" makes a person realize how cruel people really are, and also how numb society is to what really goes on. Society has an expectation for the police to arrest, prosecutors to convict, jails to punish and society to prepare for the return of one of their own. The checks and balances are built into the system.

But, I agree that the system is broken. As a case and point, take a look at California's new Prop 47. It's a cluster F- by all standards. But the voters ask for it, so instead of the judicial system dealing with California's criminals, communities get the privilege of being victimized over and over. Touted as a "safe schools" measure, the wool was thick and warm when it was pulled over their eyes.

The majority of people go about their happy lives not caring about much until it affects them. Then all the sudden it's a big deal and something must be done. What the cops are doing on the street is trying to keep you from having that moment. That call in the middle of the night. That 7am walk to your car to find it has been burgled. That job forces those who choose the "Thin blue line" to walk a tight rope every day.

So, back on track, Andrew had dilated pupils, the cop noticed, inquired and left him alone. He had no right under Terry to conduct a pat frisk of his out clothing, no PC for an arrest which would trigger an SIA for this interjected Baggie of dope and certainly no right no detain Andrew based on the given circumstances.

And I'll leave this here.......

99% of cops are moral, hard working, patriotic citizens who want nothing more than to keep their "Beat" safe. They will run into a gun battle to protect the people, the next call they will be comforting a child who was beaten or molested and finish out the day investigating who the hell stole your jewelry and big screen TV while you were diligently working so your taxes could pay for it all.

The 1% are sht bird, no good dirty rotten crooks who somehow could not keep their hands out of the cookie jar, or became so jaded that they sold their morality for a fist full of dollars. These types are typically discovered sooner or later. Because they are held to a higher moral standard than say, the guy who is stealing scrap stainless steal from his employer, they deserve every last ounce of their punishment.

The problem with society is they base their opinion on the 1%, not the 99%. And thus, we get the opinions that cops are all bad and out to screw the world.

Post script....

One of my mentors used a phrase one time that stuck with me; opinions are like Aholes- nobody wants to hear it and someone will always tell you it stinks. You can stomach your own, but another's becomes revolting and nauseating at first breath. :wink2:

Each state is different, but in Florida being "high", in and of itself, is not illegal:

856.011 Disorderly intoxication.—
(1) No person in the state shall be intoxicated and endanger the safety of another person or property, and no person in the state shall be intoxicated or drink any alcoholic beverage in a public place or in or upon any public conveyance and cause a public disturbance.

So it only becomes illegal if you endanger someone or create a disturbance.

I really think odds favor that the cop in the OP was just messing around. When you're in line at a restaurant you're probably hungry and the very last thing on your mind is to get embroiled in some penny ante intoxication charge.

Though I made an exception for the guy that took a dump in the Wendy's on Biscayne Blvd. NOT in the restroom, I might add.

Last edited:
Society has an expectation for the police to arrest, prosecutors to convict, jails to punish and society to prepare for the return of one of their own. The checks and balances are built into the system.

99% of cops are moral, hard working, patriotic citizens who want nothing more than to keep their "Beat" safe. They will run into a gun battle to protect the people, the next call they will be comforting a child who was beaten or molested and finish out the day investigating who the hell stole your jewelry and big screen TV while you were diligently working so your taxes could pay for it all.

The 1% are sht bird, no good dirty rotten crooks who somehow could not keep their hands out of the cookie jar, or became so jaded that they sold their morality for a fist full of dollars. These types are typically discovered sooner or later. Because they are held to a higher moral standard than say, the guy who is stealing scrap stainless steal from his employer, they deserve every last ounce of their punishment.

Normally, I loathe quoting others on this sub-forum, but these two statements are so incongruous with reality as to need further attention.

American society no longer has much trust, or respect for LEO to actually do the job of enforcing the laws by catching any law breaker. It's a sad fact that aside from the low hanging fruit of stupid drug users, the LEO community is very very incompetent at catching anything higher than the pot smoking teen. The vast majority of serious property crime goes unpunished, and a significant part of violent crime as well is never solved by catching the bad guy(s).

Next, it might have been back in the 70s that the 99% of cops were moral, and 1% were bad actors. But, if you include the cops who enable the really bad cops I would say it's now about 50-50% jackasses and good cops. Of course, if you ignore supposedly 'good' cops who allow their fellow officers to lie, cheat, and harass citizens, then you could say all cops are the moral ones. Sure - make allowances for the moral cops to ignore the bad cops and you can rationalize anything.

There's no way I would call a cop for any reason. When I see a cop I go the other way, not because I'm doing anything wrong, but simply because I might get one of the bad 50% who want to pad their stats by making an arrest that will never go anywhere. There's no downside for a cop to make a bad arrest unless they get caught by the camera in flagrante. I just have no use for LEO. Yes, I protect my place myself, and no I don't need anything from them except if the insurance company requires a form to be filled out. That's about the sum total of what LEO means to me is a form filled out and signed. I have no expectation of justice and that's backed up by 50 years of experience. That includes 4-1/2 arrests, one trial and zero convictions to date.

Maybe the cop in this case was being flip, maybe he was making conversation, maybe he was just being a normal guy. But - you don't get to treat them like normal guys because they have a badge, and a gun, and have sworn an oath to uphold the law. He might not like arresting someone in line at the bank but sure enough, he would do it in a heartbeat. When you talk to LEO, you talk yourself right into cuffs. Just don't do it.

Cowboy, I'm really over it all that at this point, but I will agree with you that a vast majority of cases talk themselves into arrest.

It's human nature to try and clear your name in the face of arrest. The thought that if you don't protest the charges is tantamount to conceding to the arrest. So, they start lying through their teeth and/or just confessing to whatever it is.

As a side funny, I had a guy being questioned who professed he didn't mean to download the hundreds of underage pics and he has been battling virus on his computer and he had no way to stop it. The funny part, was that he was being investigated for using stolen credit card numbers from his server job at a chain restaurant. Oops.

... and finish out the day investigating who the hell stole your jewelry and big screen TV while you were diligently working so your taxes could pay for it all.

Was enjoying the post until that line of crap. Investigate property theft? That's laughable.

They'll show up and give you a piece of paper to hand to your insurance company. If they happen to stumble across the property while working on something else, they'll take credit for finding it.

This is the point I realized you were telling a nice fairy tale.

Unfortunately, no.... My TV is usually stuck on Nick Jr. the original Law and Order was a great show. But when they went from real proceedings to scripted studio work it lost its appeal(pun intended)

As far as the moral ground, well, if you can figure out how to stop people from stealing your, sheet, making, selling, doing drugs, stop hurting other people I am all ears. I'm tired of it all too. Working in a constant state of, "That makes me sick. I can't believe he/she did that" makes a person realize how cruel people really are, and also how numb society is to what really goes on. Society has an expectation for the police to arrest, prosecutors to convict, jails to punish and society to prepare for the return of one of their own. The checks and balances are built into the system.

But, I agree that the system is broken. As a case and point, take a look at California's new Prop 47. It's a cluster F- by all standards. But the voters ask for it, so instead of the judicial system dealing with California's criminals, communities get the privilege of being victimized over and over. Touted as a "safe schools" measure, the wool was thick and warm when it was pulled over their eyes.

The majority of people go about their happy lives not caring about much until it affects them. Then all the sudden it's a big deal and something must be done. What the cops are doing on the street is trying to keep you from having that moment. That call in the middle of the night. That 7am walk to your car to find it has been burgled. That job forces those who choose the "Thin blue line" to walk a tight rope every day.

So, back on track, Andrew had dilated pupils, the cop noticed, inquired and left him alone. He had no right under Terry to conduct a pat frisk of his out clothing, no PC for an arrest which would trigger an SIA for this interjected Baggie of dope and certainly no right no detain Andrew based on the given circumstances.

And I'll leave this here.......

The problem with society is they base their opinion on the 1%, not the 99%. And thus, we get the opinions that cops are all bad and out to screw the world.

Post script....

One of my mentors used a phrase one time that stuck with me; opinions are like Aholes- nobody wants to hear it and someone will always tell you it stinks. You can stomach your own, but another's becomes revolting and nauseating at first breath. :wink2:

Your statistics don't match my experience and the cops I know personally. Every cop I know ( dozens ) have no business having any sort of authority over any one or anything. Most fall into two categories. The meat heads jocks with control issues and the kids they beat up in high school. The only one I'll even speak to is now retired and he was just dumb and lazy and spent most of his time either at home in his recliner or napping behind an old abandoned business.

Investigating property theft :rofl::rofl::rofl:

We had a rare snow in MS. When we arrived at my fathers business his old work truck had been broken into. They demolished the thing and stole the battery (never mind the fact that on old Chevys, there is nothing inside to pop the hood). This was early in the am, we were the first ones there, there was one set of footprints in the snow and blood ( from where they cut themselves breaking the window ) leading directly to an apartment at the projects next door. ****ing cop wouldn't even knock on the door.

Situations like the OP are why when I'm going to grab a bite to eat, if there's a cop car in the parking lot....I find somewhere else to eat.

Situations like the OP are why when I'm going to grab a bite to eat, if there's a cop car in the parking lot....I find somewhere else to eat.
Agree although sometimes I chance it, as the cops know the best places to eat.

...You have no clue what your talking about and your speculation is what, heard from a guy that saw it on the news and he heard it from another guy who was his bestest friend on their way to grandmas house?...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I take it you have no idea what ComanchePilot does for a living?

Wouldn't bother me. It's just a simple question. It's not like I'm being asked to give blood.

He was being asked to potentially self-incriminate.

I am NOT saying that the officer did anything wrong by asking, but let's not minimize the importance of the question.

Imagine this scenario.

Friend used to live in a high rise apartment. Second high rise right next door.

One night he's on his deck and some moron in the other building starts sighting in people with a handgun equipped with a laser, in the opposite building's decks and windows.

Friend retreats indoors, calls Denver PD, and then goes into his dark bedroom and grabs a pair of binoculars and gets the exact unit number off of the moron's air conditioner, since they're all marked on the outside of the other building.

DPD arrives. He explains what is going on. DPD not only refuses to go to the other building, they refuse to go out on his porch to even look. They show up with three officers, one a Sergeant who does all the talking.

Direct quote: "I'm not going out there. I might get shot!"

I don't think my friend would even care about that part, since it makes some sense... but he was incensed that they wouldn't go over to the apartment he had specifically identified and knock on the door.

They took a report and left. Yay paperwork.

My friend joked that he wondered if the idiot had actually shot at or even hit someone if the report would have magically disappeared, but we agreed that no... It'd be used in Court against the idiot, but the cop's only purpose was to file the paper.

They had no intention of intervening until someone was dead.

Keep in mind that within Denver City and County they'll arrest you for open carrying safely in a holster and they're one of the only cities in Colorado who'll do so, with the rest of the State enjoying constitutional carry rights.

But actually fire up the laser and point it at people? Nah. They'll just ignore that. Sarge is way too close to retirement to go knocking on that door, man.

Are you crazy? We gotta go, coffee is getting cold out in the cruiser.

Well said. Don't waste too much time trying to explain yourself when it comes to the LE Side, they believe and hate what they want. And I have recommended ride alongs several times here on this forum. I think they be scurrred!! Yup

You are correct, you are wasting your time. I Do not trust cops. I tell my young daughter the same thing. At least with a thug I know what I got.

BTW, the cops started this us vs. them attitude, when they started referring to us as 'civilians', as a separate group, not one of them.

I welcome the idea of a good police force again, but we are not there yet.

Like your eighty inches of what?

I see another reader guessed you meant that you are 80 years old. But referring to possession of 80 inches of some commodity is more intriguing...

What did you mean?

Paul

You are correct, you are wasting your time. I Do not trust cops. I tell my young daughter the same thing. At least with a thug I know what I got.

BTW, the cops started this us vs. them attitude, when they started referring to us as 'civilians', as a separate group, not one of them.

I welcome the idea of a good police force again, but we are not there yet.

10-4. Tell your young daughter to run to the thugs if she is ever in a grave situation. Way to go sir

10-4. Tell your young daughter to run to the thugs if she is ever in a grave situation. Way to go sir
Do the police have any legal requirement to protect America's daughters?

When seconds count, the popo are only minutes away. But - they are top notch at filling out reports. Top, top notch.

I think the advice to avoid thugs and bullies (cops) is smart. Interacting with either is a roll of the dice. Do you feel lucky?

Back when I was driving an hour and a half to work each day, I had to go through OKC and head north. I was still a student so I still had California license plates. The first month or two I was fine travelling back and forth, but one day I notice a police SUV roll in behind me. And I'm doing 70, in a 70 area. And he just sits there and follows me for maybe 3-5 minutes, without moving. Other traffic is passing us in the left lane, not at breakneck speed mind you, but still. And he's focused on me. I see him going back and forth in his computer looking down every so often. And after 5 mins I just changed lanes to see if he'd pass.

Instantly the lights went on.

Gets out of his car and walks up and asks if I know why he pulled me over. I said "I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea". He said that for changing lanes, you have to wait for 5 lines to pass you on the freeway from when you turn your signal on to when you move across. Oh. I was not aware of that. Yeah, just letting you know. And I could see him looking in the back of the car through the window while he was talking. He asked if anyone else was in the car with me. Er...no sir? Just me. And then we made small talk, he asked where I was from in CA because he used to live about the same place I was from, I complained about the traffic every day to and from work, he sympathized, and he went on his way without writing a ticket.

I got to come in late to work, but that was about it. I got pulled over at like midnight one night after I got to Shawnee before I knew about the road areas. There were cones up to a certain area but past that it was clear. And in the past areas I just did the normal limit. I was dropping off some coworkers and on the way back a car passed me going the other direction. He put his brakes on and flipped around. Weird. I wonder if he's... *lights come on* Awesome. I didn't get a ticket either, just said I was a student and new to the area and that I didn't see anything saying it was a construction area. Told me to be more careful and to have a good night, no ticket, and that was that. I think because I didn't brake or anything after he flipped around trying to avoid the inevitable that he thought it was an honest mistake.

Although after I got pulled over last year for accidentally speeding in a school zone that was under 10 seconds long, I feel nervous around cops. I don't speed, I always use turn signals and right of way rules and basically drive like a grandma but I can't count the number of times I've suddenly had a cop behind me and I'd been perfectly lawful. I still panic though because I don't want to get a ticket again, I feel like I have to be defensive or something even though I think I'm one of the most law abiding drivers on the road around me every time I'm out. :dunno:

Back when I was driving an hour and a half to work each day, I had to go through OKC and head north. I was still a student so I still had California license plates. The first month or two I was fine travelling back and forth, but one day I notice a police SUV roll in behind me. And I'm doing 70, in a 70 area. And he just sits there and follows me for maybe 3-5 minutes, without moving. Other traffic is passing us in the left lane, not at breakneck speed mind you, but still. And he's focused on me. I see him going back and forth in his computer looking down every so often. And after 5 mins I just changed lanes to see if he'd pass.

Instantly the lights went on.

Gets out of his car and walks up and asks if I know why he pulled me over. I said "I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea". He said that for changing lanes, you have to wait for 5 lines to pass you on the freeway from when you turn your signal on to when you move across. Oh. I was not aware of that. Yeah, just letting you know. And I could see him looking in the back of the car through the window while he was talking. He asked if anyone else was in the car with me. Er...no sir? Just me. And then we made small talk, he asked where I was from in CA because he used to live about the same place I was from, I complained about the traffic every day to and from work, he sympathized, and he went on his way without writing a ticket.

I got to come in late to work, but that was about it. I got pulled over at like midnight one night after I got to Shawnee before I knew about the road areas. There were cones up to a certain area but past that it was clear. And in the past areas I just did the normal limit. I was dropping off some coworkers and on the way back a car passed me going the other direction. He put his brakes on and flipped around. Weird. I wonder if he's... *lights come on* Awesome. I didn't get a ticket either, just said I was a student and new to the area and that I didn't see anything saying it was a construction area. Told me to be more careful and to have a good night, no ticket, and that was that. I think because I didn't brake or anything after he flipped around trying to avoid the inevitable that he thought it was an honest mistake.

Although after I got pulled over last year for accidentally speeding in a school zone that was under 10 seconds long, I feel nervous around cops. I don't speed, I always use turn signals and right of way rules and basically drive like a grandma but I can't count the number of times I've suddenly had a cop behind me and I'd been perfectly lawful. I still panic though because I don't want to get a ticket again, I feel like I have to be defensive or something even though I think I'm one of the most law abiding drivers on the road around me every time I'm out. :dunno:

Perhaps it had nothing to do with you, but the plates, you alone in the car, made him think that you were moving dope. VERY common along I40 corridor. There is a show called drugs, inc that talks about this in detail.

Perhaps it had nothing to do with you, but the plates, you alone in the car, made him think that you were moving dope. VERY common along I40 corridor. There is a show called drugs, inc that talks about this in detail.

I figured it was something not against me personally, just that I fit the description of things that happen there often.

There's a billboard going north on 35 where I was pulled over with a girl's face on it that says "She's someone's daughter" and nothing else. Apparently there's a lot of human trafficking that goes on in OKC as well.

So there's no such thing as Probable Cause in OKC? Or us changing lanes all the police need to pull you over?

So there's no such thing as Probable Cause in OKC? Or us changing lanes all the police need to pull you over?

:dunno: I don't know. I didn't get upset about it because I wasn't transporting drugs or trafficking people. I felt like it was a formality for him to pull me over because he was looking for something and couldn't just do it out of nowhere but he had a jobligation to check cars with out of state plates in a place with known trafficking (if that's the case as in a couple posts above). Is that the right response to have? I don't know. I don't think the cops are out to get me or anything from the experiences I've had. They've been late showing up to places and have been crooked in places in CA regarding some business but I think cops are human and people are just dicks sometimes regardless of where they work.

If he gave me a ticket just for changing lanes without waiting for 5 lines (I actually really paid attention in driving school and I don't even remember any kind of rule like that) I'd eat my fine or go to traffic school and sin no more, knowing basically no other driver I've seen on the road in my lifetime has waited for that many lines to go by before changing lanes. If they even use a blinker at all.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? Cop told me he pulled me over because my tires touched the painted center line. Out of state plate will get you special attention. Move to MA it is a 500 dollar ticket if you don't switch your plates and license. The state wants clear title to their slaves.:mad2::sad:

Some years ago the wife and I headed to Florida from California. We drove Rt 10 in a brand new two seat sports car. We stopped for gas and as I paid there was a group of locals setting at the tables lining the wall. Someone ask where we were heading. I said Florida. Every person setting along the wall all turned at the same time and said, not through Louisiana, not in that nice sports car. the police will keep it and you will be walking out. We drove around the complete state. I will not today drive into the state of Louisiana.

http://www.ndsn.org/FEB97/LOUSIANA.html

The OP was profiled by the officer which is is illegal in my home state not sure about his. Kid walking down the street with his pants sagging must be a thug, lets check him out. Guy walking down the street has brown skin looks Mexican, let's check his papers. Guy standing in line for food has red eyes, let's ask if he is on something. I have heard of this in the last year spilling over into GA with pilots getting questioned and searched for no reason.

Here is some food for thought....

This thug who asked Andrew if he was high observed Andrew and noted something odd; something consistant with a CNS stimulant; dialed pupils.

He asked him if he was high. Is that unreasonable given he was in fact, in a public place, the cop had a right to be there and there was absolutely no custodial questioning? If Andrew had said he was high, should the cop not investigate further to determine if he was in fact under the influence of an illegal substance? Is that not what police are asked to do given t eh facts presented by Andrew.

If they where in a private Buissness such as a restaurant this is not a public place, such as a park. So the officer did not have the right to question a citizen standing in line minding his own not bothering anyone.

Back