"No Officer, I'm not High"

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Anyone ever been asked if you were high after visiting your eye doctor?

Today I was standing in line, at a local sub shop, behind a police officer and got asked that question. It surprised me and the people standing in line.

My reply was that I just got done with an eye appt. Thankfully the guy had a sense of humor as he replied with "That explains why your face is in your phone like your 80".

You should have asked if his GPS is broken, the Donut shop is across the street

No, but I have walked to the plane with a cane while swinging it back and forth and tapping the ground in front of me....

Maybe offer to buy him a BLT for lunch? :D

I actually get asked that question by the police a lot.

But usually I'm really high

"Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Dilated pupils alone are not probable cause. Don't give him any pretext to develop more probable cause by talking to him. Seriously.

No, but I have walked to the plane with a cane while swinging it back and forth and tapping the ground in front of me....

Sounds like the joke about the pilot who took his blind passenger's seeing eye dog for a walk during a layover.

"Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Dilated pupils alone are not probable cause. Don't give him any pretext to develop more probable cause by talking to him. Seriously.

It was over in 30 seconds with my polite reply. So how would taking a hard line help?

Thankfully the guy had a sense of humor

Does anybody else find it incredibly sad that citizens have to feel "thankful" that when being harrassed by law officers for no real reason, that they decide not to press their authority even further beyond what the law allows?

It was over in 30 seconds with my polite reply. So how would taking a hard line help?

Please watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

It was only over in 30 seconds because the Officer decided not to press it. He could have just as easily abused his authority some more and kept questioning you. Answering police questions can never help you, and can often harm you.

I'm not blowing smoke, I used to be a Police Officer and that video I linked to is 100% correct.

EDIT: I never said don't be polite. Just say the right things politely.

Last edited:
Does anybody else find it incredibly sad that citizens have to feel "thankful" that when being harrassed by law officers for no real reason, that they decide not to press their authority even further beyond what the law allows?

How does a question from a LEO equal harassment? The LEO asked a question, the OP replied and the LEO made a joke.

Where's the conspiracy?

I actually get asked that question by the police a lot.

But usually I'm really high

I get asked all the time.... My usual response is something like, "level one-zero thousand over FSM." :D

How does a question from a LEO equal harassment? The LEO asked a question, the OP replied and the LEO made a joke.
Because he was simply minding his own business and not engaged in obvious criminal activity.

Because he was simply minding his own business and not engaged in obvious criminal activity.

'zactly - completely legal activity yet the officer intruded by questioning

Where's the conspiracy?

Not a conspiracy, just overreach by a single officer. The fact is that was not just a question, it was fishing for a pretext for an arrest.

The officer certainly has a right to ask a question. The person being asked has a legal right to ask a counter-question determining the purpose and scope of the officer's question. To answer without making that determination can place the person in legal jeopardy.

What do you think the officer would have done if the OP has answered "yes, sir"? Made a joke as he did? I bet not.

The next action would have been an involuntary detention and a Terry stop, meaning a pat down search. If the pat down revealed anything that could possibly be drugs, the search would have expanded based on the person's (now to be called "suspect") statements of drug use.

You got it. There are a million reasons for dilated pupils and/or close reading a phone...eye doc visit, glaucoma, brain injury, diabetes, recent argument with a spouse...jumping to "are you high" with no behavioral cues is fishing, plain and simple.

Did you get any reactions?

Only from the dispatcher. My cell phone was ringing as I got in my seat. All he said was that I had forgotten my dog....

And it was a medivac flight so the medics and passenger really didn't pay much attention to me.

The question was certainly investigatory in nature - but even I don't stretch my "I don't talk to cops" schtick that far . . .

The question was certainly investigatory in nature - but even I don't stretch my "I don't talk to cops" schtick that far . . .
Maybe you should. On most occasions they are out to get you if they ask a question that shows they have a suspicion of criminal activity.

Let me second Bullwinkle's suggestions.
First let me point out that in a previous lifetime I have been a jail doctor, police and fire surgeon, county coroner, emr doc, yadda, yadda. I hang out with a bunch of police/dnr officer/pilot types at the airport. I am an admirer of the officers who put their lives on the line for crappy pay and a daily working environment of being lied to by the dregs of society. Even they say there are the officers who just do the job and go home. And there are the officers who dream about having the power of the gun and the badge. The second group is small but they cause 99% of the problems.

Now, let me say that any officer who accosts me and demands me to say whether I am high or not, will get all responses in the form of questions such as : who is your supervisor/what is his cell number/etc.
Do not answer his questions!!!
He does not have the legal right to stop you absent probable cause, but the instant you play the role of supplicant and start answering his demands, you will likely give him cause.
Do not think that you can joke your way out or make a friend of him. The fact that he has accosted you is proof that he is measuring you up hoping you will slip and give him a probable cause to place you under arrest.
He is not your friend. He does not intend to be your friend. He has an agenda and you are a target of opportunity.

Now, actually because I am old, stubborn, and ornery I would most likely tell him, "that is none of your business" and simply walk away. If he wants to escalate that, my attorney will be thrilled for the chance of one-third of a big payout..

Oh yea, and do not let him search your car. Make him get a warrant - and call your lawyer while you are waiting. Oh yeah, he will make a world of threats and jaw on you - but one of you has to be the adult with a brain.
You know there is nothing illegal in your car.
I know there is nothing illegal in your car.
Do you know what he has in his pocket?

It doesn't seem far to stretch for me. It's clearly investigative, and I don't answer investigative questions, especially when I'm the target of the investigation.

:D

Worst motorcycle ride I ever had was after a visit to my ophthalmologist on a brilliantly sunny day. He dilated my eyes to the point I could have seen better than an owl if only it were dark. I got off the highway and onto back roads as soon as I could. :hairraise::hairraise:

It sickens me. Both the original "inquiry" and the lame ass response. No offense.

Where's the conspiracy?

Standing in line for a sandwich and being asked if you're on drugs is acceptable to you? I'd be filing harassment and defamation charges.

Not a conspiracy, just overreach by a single officer. The fact is that was not just a question, it was fishing for a pretext for an arrest.

The officer certainly has a right to ask a question. The person being asked has a legal right to ask a counter-question determining the purpose and scope of the officer's question. To answer without making that determination can place the person in legal jeopardy.

What do you think the officer would have done if the OP has answered "yes, sir"? Made a joke as he did? I bet not.

The next action would have been an involuntary detention and a Terry stop, meaning a pat down search. If the pat down revealed anything that could possibly be drugs, the search would have expanded based on the person's (now to be called "suspect") statements of drug use.

Wow. Are we in Russia, Danny?

It doesn't seem far to stretch for me. It's clearly investigative, and I don't answer investigative questions, especially when I'm the target of the investigation.

:D

Investigative of what? Ordering a sandwich?

I don't answer investigative questions, especially when I'm the target of the investigation.

Officer: "Which is better, the pastrami or the smoked turkey?"
Civilian: "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

:confused:

Maybe as an act of civil disobedience you could tell him the tuna salad. Or barbecue with coleslaw on it.

...and to answer the OP, yes, but not by a police officer.

Nauga,
and one behind every tree

Last edited:
When I was young and full of pee and vinegar I would have objected to that question.

Now that I am just full of pee I would answer, "No, my name is....."

Last edited:
When I was young and full of **** and vinegar I would have objected to that question.

Now that I am just full of **** I would answer, "No, my name is....."

Slim Shady?

Officer: "Which is better, the pastrami or the smoked turkey?"
Civilian: "Officer, am I being detained or am I free to go?"

:confused:

Cops are usually just ordinary doofuses like the rest of us.

So, they may say dumb things in a lame attempt at humor. BTDT.

Like flying, it can go from prolonged tedium to more stressful than you'd ever wish for in a heartbeat.

So I say give them a break if they say something dumb.

If you honestly feel they're trying to entrap you, politely deflect and/or disengage. But that's not the feeling I get from the OP.

Coming from the legal field, I'm positive you are not in said field. :yes:

On another forum, we call this wild shot in the dark FUD....Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Usually called FUD when the poster want to sound like they are in the know and they make affirmations to the validity of their post. Yet, the post is so full of FUD, it's unreasonable to believe there is truth to any of it at all.

To start with, just google Terry v. Ohio and go from there for a refresher on the T-stop as we call it in our circles.

Standing in line for a sandwich and being asked if you're on drugs is acceptable to you? I'd be filing harassment and defamation charges.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: What will all these people at the sandwich shop think of me now!!??

:confused: The Police Officer was just doing his job. I'm glad he is actively looking for people who are breaking the laws.

Back