No nonstop flights from Philadelphia to Asia

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Did you know that Philadelphia is one of the largest cities or the largest city in the U.S. that does not have any nonstop flights to Asia?

The PHL Airport CEO/Manager has said they are talking about starting nonstop service to Asia at some point.

Is there a reason why Philly does not currently have any nonstop flights to Asia? What are the obstacles in the way that would keep this change from happening?

I would be interested in traveling to Asia if PHL has service rather than having to fly from Newark, JFK or Washington Dulles. The airport is like 5 minutes from my home so it's extremely convenient for me. Are there any Philly POA members who would want to travel to Asia from Philly rather than traveling up to NYC or down to DC?

I have been to Philly quite a few times. It really isn't that large. Sorry...

Edit: It is much larger than Pittsburgh, though.

Letsseeherenow. 12+ hour flight and airport convenience is presented as an issue....okaaaay.

That's a long haul. Japan, maybe Korea or eastern China, but after that you need ULR aircraft like the A340-500 and the 777-200LR. Singapore Airlines did NY to Singapore direct, which was the longest non-stop flight in the world at 18hrs. They flew the A340-500 on that route and it was business class only, to allow for all the fuel.

That's a long haul. Japan, maybe Korea or eastern China, but after that you need ULR aircraft like the A340-500 and the 777-200LR. Singapore Airlines did NY to Singapore direct, which was the longest non-stop flight in the world at 18hrs. They flew the A340-500 on that route and it was business class only, to allow for all the fuel.
Long haul is an understatement. I've done the trip to sw asia in cattle car. Even with a break at the half-way point it sucks the full 29.92 inches.

Did you know that Philadelphia is one of the largest cities or the largest city in the U.S. that does not have any nonstop flights to Asia?

The PHL Airport CEO/Manager has said they are talking about starting nonstop service to Asia at some point.

Is there a reason why Philly does not currently have any nonstop flights to Asia? What are the obstacles in the way that would keep this change from happening?

Airlines operate on a hub and spoke network. Is Philly a hub for any international carriers to Asia? If it isn't, then you're not gonna get direct flights. You'll have to catch a flight from Philly to a hub, then take the big airplane over the water.

I would be interested in traveling to Asia if PHL has service rather than having to fly from Newark, JFK or Washington Dulles. The airport is like 5 minutes from my home so it's extremely convenient for me. Are there any Philly POA members who would want to travel to Asia from Philly rather than traveling up to NYC or down to DC?
This is pretty simple.
PHL doesn't have any lights to Asia because
1) JFK/EWR/IAD are too close, and already do have plenty of Asia flights.

2) If there was enough origin-destination traffic to Asia to justify the costs, PHL would already have a flight.

I once flew from Atlanta to Tokyo--14 hours. The first 5 hours were okay. Hours 6 through 10 were unpleasant. I thought the last 4 hours would never end.

My longest is DFW - Sydney / return. It is longy-long long.

It's all due to that difficulty that Philadelphia people have properly pronouncing words with "Rs" in them !

This is pretty simple.
PHL doesn't have any lights to Asia because
1) JFK/EWR/IAD are too close, and already do have plenty of Asia flights.

2) If there was enough origin-destination traffic to Asia to justify the costs, PHL would already have a flight.

This.

New York is a much larger market that Philadelphia and can support the O/D traffic. DC is a hub and national capital.

It wasn't that long ago (or I'm getting old) that aircraft were even capable of east coast -> Asia flights. The Qantas flights out of JFK to SYD stop at LAX.

Co-worker's brother lives in Singapore, visits at least once a year, sometimes multiple times a year, for the past 18 years. He said he once did the longest non-stop. Said he won't again.

Also said he always ponders booking first/business. Then checks prices and decides that he'd rather have that new [motorcycle/boat/TV/etc].

ATL-JNB and LAX-SYD was brutal.

I did GRU-MEX-LAX-SYD once in one go. In Economy. Never again.

I've done maybe 20 14+ hour flights. Thankfully the latest ones have been either J or F, it's survivable there.

My longest is DFW - Sydney / return. It is longy-long long.

Wife and I went from ATL to LAX and onto SYD. Left ATL in the morning, got to LAX late morning, headed off to SYD, got there at night, went to bed. I woke up at 4AM, couldn't get back to sleep, wife slept until 8. I was a zombie, she felt great and didn't know what my issue was. The way back was even weirder, left late in the afternoon, got dark real quick and then light again real quick, but since we crossed the date line it was the same day or some such, it still confuses me. That westbound return from LAX to ATL seemed short after spending 13+ hours in a 747-400 with 390 or so of your closest friends. I can't sleep sitting up, and I can't read in a moving vehicle so I just sort of sit there.

When we got home, wife got to personally experience that jet lag thing. Now she knew why I was such a zombie.

FWIW, there's only one flight to Asia from Miami, and that's to Qatar.

Also: no one wants to be in Philly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's true. There is no sizable Asian community in Philly to generate demand, nor is there any significant commerce between Philly and Asia. Philly is not known for finance, tech, or manufacturing. As far as international tourism, Asian tourists pass through Philly on their way between DC and NYC.

So why don't you take a flight from PHL to LAX or even ORD and then to Asia? Then you won't have to drive to DC or NY. What a weird question.

San Diego to Rhein Main in a KC135, pre ipod, ipad ,etc. What a looong flight.

tried to lay out on the floor with sleeping bags. That lasted about 30min until the bag/floor was so cold I thought my skin was frozen.

I've done LAX to Dubai on Emirates for work. It's 16hrs and pretty brutal in economy. But I prefer direct over any connections, so I'll suffer through it if I have to.

I've done the IAD-NRT flight twice. Almost exactly 12 hours in the air (and 12 hour time zone change so you land at the time you departed coming back or exactly a day later going out).

Did LAX-Sydney once (starting with an IAD-LAX leg). Coming home it was 26 hours from the time I first got on a plane in Cairns until I got off at IAD (of course that included a few hours drinking bloody marys in the Admirals Club at LAX). Worst flight was Nairobi-JFK. 100% full 707 (this was in 1974). A couple of stops in west Africa on the way. 20 hours.

I'm in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Hong Kong as we speak, FYI. Cathay's new schedule SUCKS. I won't get to Saigon until after midnight.

I'm in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Hong Kong as we speak, FYI. Cathay's new schedule SUCKS. I won't get to Saigon until after midnight.

Which one, Pier, Wing, Bridge or Cabin? :)
(The new Pier First Class is really really good!)

I would never take a job that required me to make these long haul flights regularly. Well I would for enough money, but it would have to be a lot more money, like double or triple.

Which one, Pier, Wing, Bridge or Cabin? :)
(The new Pier First Class is really really good!)

I usually hang out at the one by Gate 4 (the Wing I think?) but they stuck me out at Gate 61 so I ended up going to the Cabin. The Bridge probably would have been a better choice but I didn't see it coming from the transfer point. Damn HKG is a big airport.

Finally got here around 2:00 a.m. local time. I got a couple hours of sleep but I have a long day ahead. At least the little hotel I'm staying at had some Tiger beer in the fridge. Ahhhh.

I usually hang out at the one by Gate 4 (the Wing I think?) but they stuck me out at Gate 61 so I ended up going to the Cabin. The Bridge probably would have been a better choice but I didn't see it coming from the transfer point. Damn HKG is a big airport.

Finally got here around 2:00 a.m. local time. I got a couple hours of sleep but I have a long day ahead. At least the little hotel I'm staying at had some Tiger beer in the fridge. Ahhhh.

Yeah that's the Wing. Easy entry too after passport control (unless you have to slum in the business lounge...) Their cabanas are great, but the restaurant in Pier is better. Cabin is the worst of them all (well, G16 is the worst but who goes there...). Bridge is a solid J class lounge.

I miss HKG airport, done over 50 transits there over the past couple of years. Sure beats any US airport, by a mile...

Back