No more "or GPS

Ryan, let me start by saying I do not have the understanding and lexicon you have dealing with aviation matters in general. I see you have experience and knowledge across a vast range of avionics topics. I do not. However I do have some specific experience with the Learjet 75, and I would like to clear up some misunderstandings. Let me start with your last post, quotes of it I have put below in italics:

“You used the phrase "suitable RNAV FMS," but that's not what you have installed in your aircraft”
Ryan, I did not say in that post what was installed in my aircraft. I took that phrase from the US AIM, “suitable RNAV System”, and added flight management words to clarify the type of system. If adding “flight management” confused you as to what I meant, I’m sorry, that was not my intention.

“You have an FMS. That FMS contains a suitable RNAV system”
I hope you are right that it is “suitable”. If Learjet agrees, then maybe they will change their “are prohibited” phrase. More information later on in this post.

“It also contains position sensors which include VOR receivers, loc/GS receivers, ADF, etc”
If you are talking about the FMS in the Learjet 75, that is incorrect.

“You've also mentioned deselecting navaids before.”
That is incorrect. I joked about deselecting certain gps satellites.

“These statements lead me to believe you may be operating under some confusion.”
I may not be the sharpest pilot, but nothing here confuses me Ryan.

Now before I get chastised for asking a public forum about nuances in a corporate jet AFM, please notice that this thread was about the disappearing “or GPS” approaches. I received some excellent information on this, thanks to all, and used the VOR approaches in KAVX (someone brought them up) as examples in my submission to Learjet to consider changes. The thread morphed into the L75 avionics discussion. Not what I intended.

There have been further developments Ryan that you will be unfamiliar with.

“at FSI/CAE? An instructor may be better equipped to address your concern”

Actually Ryan, that is quite ironic. It was at refresher about 3 weeks ago that our CAE instructor pulled out the AFM with the “are prohibited” wording to remind us that we cannot fly a VOR approach with the FMS unless it is annotated “or GPS”. Like you, I wondered why not? If our old Garmin 165 from 1996(?) TSO 129 could meet accuracy requirements of a VOR approach, shouldn’t a much later generation unit be able to?

I emailed Learjet to ask if we could fly a VOR approach through the FMS that is not annotated “or GPS”. I received a reply from a production test pilot that

“the short answer is no”.

Shortly after, the chief pilot for Production Test sent me an email, unsolicited, that for a VOR approach that is not or GPS,

“The AFM makes it clear the green needle CDI needs to be active on the pilot flying’s PFD”

Ryan, for this to happen, the only way would be when the FMS is not providing guidance to the pilot flying.

Then I had a telephone call. Then I took KAVX as an example of a VOR approach that was not "or GPS" (and also where no other RNAV approach was available), and the quote from the US AIM about a suitable Rnav system, asked them if ours was “suitable” and asked if they could reconsider allowing a VOR approach without “or GPS” in the L75. And, further, if they could update their wording since apparently “or GPS” approaches are almost gone.

I note that Learjet is not the only manufacturer to restrict non precision approaches in the same manner. Add Dassault to that list.

Our falcon 2000 AFM states:
“In particular, the FMS is approved to fly the following GNSS / GPS approach procedures:
- GNSS / GPS Non Precision Approaches,
- GNSS / GPS overlay of Non Precision Approach Procedures”

And under the title “FMS based approaches” there are no other approaches listed.

I note here that Dassault used the term “overlay”, whereas I see on Jepp charts for US airports that “or GPS” is used.

Of course, a “raw data”, as I call it, VOR or NDB approach is always allowed. However that is not FMS based in either of our aircraft.

Ryan, should you wish to hear about this first hand, I am sorry but at the present time I’m not prepared to give out names and contact info. However, you could follow the same procedure that I did. Call Bombardier Customer Support at 316 946 2874, or email them at ac.ict@aero.bombardier.com that worked very well for me.

Stan

Thanks for the reply, Stan.

“The AFM makes it clear the green needle CDI needs to be active on the pilot flying’s PFD”

Ryan, for this to happen, the only way would be when the FMS is not providing guidance to the pilot flying.

Stan, we're in agreement here, and have been all along. This is synonymous with AIM guidance on this subject. Nothing new, nothing surprising. For localizer based approaches you'll need to have the "green needles" active on the PF's PFD, as a CDI, rather than a bearing pointer. Your AFM states exactly what the production test chief pilot stated to you, so it's a good confirmation, but no new information.

Of course, a “raw data”, as I call it, VOR or NDB approach is always allowed. However that is not FMS based in either of our aircraft.

This may be the crux of our discussion. How exactly is a VOR or NDB approach not "FMS-based"? When you make that statement, what exactly do you mean?

Ryan, should you wish to hear about this first hand, I am sorry but at the present time I’m not prepared to give out names and contact info. However, you could follow the same procedure that I did. Call Bombardier Customer Support at 316 946 2874, or email them at ac.ict@aero.bombardier.com that worked very well for me.

Sure, I'll reach out and see if I can make a bit more sense of this based on their reply. I'm still reasonably confident that absent something very unusual indeed, you're not subject to any unique restrictions in your aircraft which don't already apply to everyone else, but as they say, "never say never."

Thanks for an interesting conversation.

I note here that Dassault used the term “overlay”, whereas I see on Jepp charts for US airports that “or GPS” is used.

Stan
Generically, interchangeable terms in the U.S. "...or GPS is a charting convention.

Hi Stan,

That was fast! Bombardier got back to me immediately.

Their short answer is that yes, you can use your FMS to fly an NDB or VOR approach as stated below.

"Page 1-22 of the FAA AFM:

“Use of the GPS/SBAS receivers to provide navigation guidance during the final approach segment of ILS, LOC, LOC-BC, LDA, SDF, MLS or any other type of approach not approved for “or GPS” navigation is prohibited. When using the VOR/LOC/GS receivers to fly the final approach segment, VOR/LOC/GS navigation data must be selected and presented on the CDI of the pilot flying.”

"Per one of our flight test pilots. The short answer is Yes, given the Limitation stated. The issue is the source of guidance that the published approach is based on; i.e. ground based VOR or NDB. Garmin as integrated in the LR75 is a GPS only source system using AHRS and ADC inputs for positional determination. Understanding that, if the pilot desires to utilize the FMS, an option might be to overlay the appropriate bearing pointer for the approved Navigation source on the HSI using it as the primary reference to course guidance when conducting the approach."

Again, this is aligned precisely with AIM 1-2-3. Essentially you may fly a VOR or NDB approach fully using the FMS provided a bearing pointer is used to monitor that the navaid is operational and that the final approach course alignment matches that of the FMS.

A localizer approach requires the CDI of the PF's PFD be tuned to the localizer frequency and aligned with the FAC.

This information was provided by Eric Nordberg, Chief Pilot of Bombardier Aviation, and corroborated by Mark Zerener, Bombardier test pilot. Geoffrey Crowe (Technical Representative, Bombardier Customer Response Center Narrowbody) facilitated the information supplied.

Regards,

So, if you have to have raw LOC/GS data on the final approach segment, is it legal to fly the pink line to the FAF and THEN switch to green needles? Some sources say to switch to green needles as you intercept the LOC, which would be well before the FAF.

And, if you are using GPS on an overlay, it is true you cannot fly and NDB approach unless you have an NDB, and the NDB is operational and tuned? I know that's the case with VOR overlays, but everyone has VOR receivers, and many are still operational. Not so with NDBs.

So, if you have to have raw LOC/GS data on the final approach segment, is it legal to fly the pink line to the FAF and THEN switch to green needles? Some sources say to switch to green needles as you intercept the LOC, which would be well before the FAF.

And, if you are using GPS on an overlay, it is true you cannot fly and NDB approach unless you have an NDB, and the NDB is operational and tuned? I know that's the case with VOR overlays, but everyone has VOR receivers, and many are still operational. Not so with NDBs.
Yes and yes.

Don’t know exactly why, but they did away with that a few years ago. Any that remain will have an older Amendment or Original Date on them. Can’t speak for your Flight Manual, but it should be legal to do it as long as you have a VOR or ADF in the plane and you monitor the Final Approach Course with it while using the whiz box to fly it.
If you mean that it's OK to couple your autopilot to the GPS while flying a VOR or NDB approach inside the FAF, I'm not 100% certain that's true. Does anyone know (not just speculation)?

If you mean that it's OK to couple your autopilot to the GPS while flying a VOR or NDB approach inside the FAF, I'm not 100% certain that's true. Does anyone know (not just speculation)?

I wasn’t referring to anything other then how they name approaches.

We can. I wasn’t going to wade in, but we have similar (but much less convoluted) restrictions for flying a VOR approach. We can fly the approach coupled to the FMS/LNAV, but we have to have the raw data displayed. Most guys will put the ND in HSI mode and display the inbound course, but bearing pointers displayed is legal as well.

We can. I wasn’t going to wade in, but we have similar (but much less convoluted) restrictions for flying a VOR approach. We can fly the approach coupled to the FMS/LNAV, but we have to have the raw data displayed. Most guys will put the ND in HSI mode and display the inbound course, but bearing pointers displayed is legal as well.

This is how it worked at both my airlines as well. We tend to use the bearing pointers but yeah, as long as the raw data is displayed somewhere it's flown very much like any other GPS based approach. Sometimes we won't get VNAV all the way to the runway and have to bail into VS at the MAP, but that's about it.

Certificated carriers have different rules than part 91 operators. They have OpSpec C085 available to them. 14 CFR Part 97 NDB, NDB/DME, VOR, VOR/DME, and TACAN Instrument Approach Procedures Using Substitute Means of Navigation. They don't need to use the green needles.

Hold on.....not so fast....I have some objections, and I don’t have the same optimism you have Ryan. I received the very same emails, yet see them quite differently from you. I quote portions below:

1. “….yes, given the Limitation stated”

I take those words to mean yes, but further requirements need to be met. So it may be a NO. I called up the author of that email to ask about that. Parts of a VOR approach can be flown by the FMS, example the initial approach segment, the intermediate segment, and the missed approach segment. However the final approach segment (the further requirement/limitation, I was told) needs to be based on the VOR receiver and

“presented on the CDI of the pilot flying”

In which case we are not flying the whole approach based on the FMS. Now, his email was in response to my earlier email question whether we could fly a VOR approach via the FMS. After sending this response saying the “short answer is yes given the limitation stated”, he had re-read it, reconsidered and realized he should have said simply “the short answer is no”.

Folks please note that in the AFM (or in any Learjet pubs I believe, please correct me) there is no mention of allowing a VOR bearing needle to suffice as meeting the requirements of

“final app segment presented on the CDI of the pilot flying”. Asking him about that did not provide any corroboration.

2. “This information was provided by XXXXXXX, Chief Pilot of Bombardier Aviation”

I have this email Ryan, I believe, and is pasted below. Is it the same as the one you have?

"Page 1-22 of the FAA AFM:

Use of the GPS/SBAS receivers to provide navigation guidance during the final approach segment of ILS, LOC, LOC-BC, LDA, SDF, MLS or any other type of approach not approved for “or GPS” navigation is prohibited. When using the VOR/LOC/GS receivers to fly the final approach segment, VOR/LOC/GS navigation data must be selected and presented on the CDI of the pilot flying.

The AFM makes it clear the green needle CDI needs to be active on the pilot-flying’s PFD."

Please read the last sentence again, it is not mine, it is part of the quote. Absorb it.

Green needles is a bit of an industry slang for VOR/loc/GS. In the L75, the FMS course bar is magenta, so it would be very hard to mix them up.

So Ryan, I’m not sure your quote (below) applies necessarily to all manufacturers:

“this is aligned precisely with AIM 1-2-3. Essentially you may fly a VOR or NDB approach fully using the FMS provided a bearing pointer is used to monitor that the navaid is operational and that the final approach course alignment matches that of the FMS.”

Because apparently our top Learjet pilot emphasises that:

“The AFM makes it clear the green needle CDI needs to be active on the pilot-flying’s PFD

That means vhf nav receiver, ie VOR in our case. Not the FMS.

This last line in the email is not in the AFM. It is his opinion. Do we have anyone available to us who would be considered to have more authority?

3. None of this is new. The responses in these 2 emails basically mimic what has been in the AFM since day 1. Exception of perhaps a questionable procedure of using a bearing needle to meet the CDI requirement specific to the L75. I don’t think Learjet is skirting the issue, I’ve been told more than once they have to research, sit down as a group with their certification folks (and lawyers I presume) and come up with an answer (and get Garmin’s input too I’d think). Apparently there is much to do with a phase 3 avionics upgrade, and I’m sure its on their minds that they will likely need a new job before year is over.

Gosh this was supposed to be a simple "or GPS" thread

Stan

Last edited:
This discussion really makes me appreciate the G1000/GFC700 combination in some of the bug-smashers I fly, because with that equipment, the FMS gets its input from the ground-based navaid whenever you set the CDI to that navaid.

This discussion really makes me appreciate that a manufacturer's Aircraft Flight Manual takes precedence over a country's AIM

Stan, roger that. In that your avionics suite performs conventionally with regards to the approaches/limitations discussed here, my confidence level has risen to nearly 100%. But we've both said all we can say. Suggest you continue the discussion with your instructor at CAE, and in terms of guidance with legal backing, the aircraft mfgr/avionics mfgr will be able to settle things to your satisfaction.

Thank you for an interesting discussion.

Best,

Last edited:
Back