No more Airplane Mode, Europe

Great (not that I'm planning European airline travel anytime soon), now you'll have to listen to the yahoo sitting next to you yakking away at their boss/wife/kids/stock broker/whatever.

Another reason to wear the best noise reduction earphones playing good music while in a commercial plane... In the meantime, we will all still have to deal with the silly little liquid bags forever.

Do people actually get service? I never have service in planes above about 3K agl anyway so use airplane mode to save battery life

Do people actually get service? I never have service in planes above about 3K agl anyway so use airplane mode to save battery life
My iPhone, using Spectrum, lets me do calls and texts over WiFi (very handy when overseas) so that’s technically been an option since planes have had WiFi - I think - I’ve never tried it to see if they block those or something. In any case, that gets past the cell reception issue.

True. Although that is dependent on having a fast enough connection. Typically my experience I can hardly send an email

COULD. Not WILL.

I read this as 5G inside the aircraft. But still sharing the connection to the world with everyone else on the plane.

But most airlines ban ANY calls, even wifi calling.

Great, now work will expect me to be on calls on planes.

Not a win.

My iPhone, using Spectrum, lets me do calls and texts over WiFi (very handy when overseas) so that’s technically been an option since planes have had WiFi - I think - I’ve never tried it to see if they block those or something. In any case, that gets past the cell reception issue.
curious....do you have to dial country codes, etc....?
or do you use a VPN to spoof a location to avoid country codes?

I was flying on an easyJet flight last year and I guess weather was low enough to warrant them making an announcement for everyone’s cell phones to be turned off during the approach (not just airplane mode). This was October 2021 so I don’t remember if that’s when the 5G thing was being rolled out.

curious....do you have to dial country codes, etc....?
or do you use a VPN to spoof a location to avoid country codes?
When I use that mode it’s like I’m sitting in the US, so no country code for calls in the US and no charges for them, coming or going. But if I’m using that in the UK and I call the restaurant I’m sitting in, I need to dial like I’m in the US - use the UK code, etc, and will get charged International rates for that call.

My experience is it depends.

In some countries I have to dial +1 for a US number, but not the local country code for local calls. Other counties, the reverse.

I just dial the country code all the time.

In the meantime, we will all still have to deal with the silly little liquid bags forever.

Get PreCheck or Global Entry. Your liquids will remain in your carry-on, and you’ll have a better experience overall with TSA.

Get PreCheck or Global Entry. Your liquids will remain in your carry-on, and you’ll have a better experience overall with TSA.
You're still limited to 3oz in a quart ziploc, you just don't have to take them out for screening.

COULD. Not WILL.

I read this as 5G inside the aircraft. But still sharing the connection to the world with everyone else on the plane.

But most airlines ban ANY calls, even wifi calling.
Except for using their $3/minute sat phone.

Since PreChek is $85 for 5 years, and Global Entry, with PreChek included, is $100 for 5 years, even if you take only ONE international trip in that 5 years, you are WAY ahead.

Since PreChek is $85 for 5 years, and Global Entry, with PreChek included, is $100 for 5 years, even if you take only ONE international trip in that 5 years, you are WAY ahead.
That's a great thing, in fact. The problem is that flying outside the US it doesn't help, and some countries seem to enjoy giving people misery at the security check...

But... But... Interference! Safety!

That's a great thing, in fact. The problem is that flying outside the US it doesn't help, and some countries seem to enjoy giving people misery at the security check...

Then there are those places where no one trusts the local security, so you go through it. Then the airline has another security check before boarding. And then when you get to the next stop, you get to go through security again. :D

It is still work it for leaving the US and domestic trips, and Global Entry is FABULOUS for returning to the US. I once made it from stepping of the airplane to exiting the terminal at Dulles in 15 minutes flat. And remember, that includes the bus ride. :D

The whole point of this is that the airplane will provide it's own "cell tower". Airplane connects to the network via whatever system (Satcom, Ka/Ku, other) and then provides that to customers via 4G, LTE, 5G, whatever. Some of the middle east airlines already provide this service (For a fee), the only "new" is that it's potentially coming to the EU.

Exactly. And this why the article says it COULD allow in flight calling. Not that it would be allowed automatically

It is still work it for leaving the US and domestic trips, and Global Entry is FABULOUS for returning to the US. I once made it from stepping off the airplane to exiting the terminal at Dulles in 15 minutes flat. And remember, that includes the bus ride. :D

I regularly fly overseas, typically to the Middle East. Global Entry is GOLD. My experience coming back into the country is very easy, and even leaving the country is much streamlined. When I enter Israel my GE is also helpful there as well. It is the best $100 I ever spent on travel.

some countries seem to enjoy giving people misery at the security check...
Yeah. The US. I'm in international security lines, all over the world, and (of the places I've experienced) the absolute worst is the US. Hands down.

Maybe other countries are pickier (they're not), but what gets me is the absolute disdain the TSA treats airline passengers with. In other countries, security lines are organized, calm affairs. Walking up to a US TSA screening checkpoint, I can hear the TSA "agents" screaming at passengers as I'm approaching. Talking to them like their children. Yelling. Threatening. It's absolutely embarrassing.

The current KU systems on aircraft will usually allow a call to be placed. No where in the article or discussion does it say inflight calling will be allowed. This is simply a upgrade in speed for onboard internet. At least the third upgrade since the systems first appeared.

No where in the article or discussion does it say inflight calling will be allowed.

It doesn't? Odd

"This will mean people can use all their phone's features mid-flight - enabling calls as well as data-heavy apps that stream music and video."

Back