No Excuse

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
*So I'm still without my plane for probably another month, so I need to start fights on the internet to feel better about myself.*

There is no excuse for "not being a computer person" in this day and age. Computers have been a main part of the human existence for the last forty years. FORTY. Computer literacy is a requirement in the modern era and integral to functioning in today's society. I'm not saying you need to know how to program a computer from the ground up, but the crap I see on Facebook like people taking pictures of their screens and then uploading it to share something is appalling, not to mention the amount of people that fall prey to blatant scams is sad and preventable.

When *older* people ask me for computer help, it's really just that they refuse to be tenacious. I'm not doing anything they can't do, I don't know much more about solving their problem at the beginning of it than them, but I'm persistent, and guess at places to click to figure out what I want. If it's not the right place, then I go back and try again. Just like ANY other type of problem solving, computers aren't special. Throwing your hands up and saying "bah computers arent my thing" is the easy way out and you'll never advance skills in any meaningful way by giving up.

So anytime someone says they aren't a "computer person" I see them as someone that's lazy and has been unwilling (see, WILLFULLY ignorant) to learn for decades.

Was hanging out with a friend the other night. He told me that his 85 year old Dad just got a computer and was really enjoying it.

also, rants have been around a lot longer than computers so when someone fails to rant in any meaningful way, I see them as lazy or unwilling to learn. really there is no excuse these days for a poorly thought out, poorly executed rant. ppfffttt, *young people*........

So anytime someone says they aren't a "computer person" I see them as someone that's lazy and has been unwilling (see, WILLFULLY ignorant) to learn for decades.

right on dude...because everyone is wired the same way and are equally capable of learning anything. Musicians, artists, technical skills,... all the same.

:rolleyes:

I am working towards the day when I can throw away my phone and tablet.

I love the looks on peoples face when asked for my cell phone number I tell them that I don’t own a cell phone.

If it weren’t for being able to stay in touch with my daughter I probably wouldn’t have any of this crap.

right on dude...because everyone is wired the same way and are equally capable of learning anything. Musicians, artists, technical skills,... all the same.

:rolleyes:
When *older* people ask me for computer help, it's really just that they refuse to be tenacious. I'm not doing anything they can't do, I don't know much more about solving their problem at the beginning of it than them, but I'm persistent, and guess at places to click to figure out what I want. If it's not the right place, then I go back and try again. Just like ANY other type of problem solving, computers aren't special. Throwing your hands up and saying "bah computers arent my thing" is the easy way out and you'll never advance skills in any meaningful way by giving up.

I was setting up a printer at work once and a older pilot (65) I work with was like”Oh I have no idea how to do that stuff. My wife does all that for me.” He was horrible at navigating our desktop at work. Used a flip phone as well. :D

There is no excuse for not knowing how to fly a plane in this day and age. I mean, the things have been around for literally 100 years now. Who cares if you aren't interested in learning how to fly? It's mandatory. Airplanes are everywhere.

one method of testing aptitude used to be: programing a VCR without reading the manual (not just setting the time correctly).

insert reference to "The Knack"

(how interesting that I posted this at the same time Matthew posted...)

my dad wears high white calf socks with loafers, and that far outweighs his lack of computer skills.

socks-and-loafers-trend-292879-1619195462561-main.700x0c.jpg

When ** people ask me for computer help, it's really just that they refuse to be tenacious. I'm not doing anything they can't do

amen. I fixed it for you though removing one word. Unless they are truly mentally disabled, it just laziness or fear.

My dad called me last weekend to help him with an issue with his phone. I missed his call because my phone wasn’t working right. He uses an android, which I’ve never used, so I poked around blindly not knowing what he was seeing, or how the phone worked at all until we figured out his problem. When we said our goodbyes, I chuckled and said, “now I’ve got to figure out why my own phone isn’t working”

Sort of like when the race team hauler breaks down on the road and no one on the team knows how to get it running again....

It's about cognitive ability ... some have more than others. I look under the hood of my wife's car and I can find a few things I recognize but if it breaks down she's calling me for a ride and the tow truck to take it to the dealer ...

It's about cognitive ability ... some have more than others. I look under the hood of my wife's car and I can find a few things I recognize but if it breaks down she's calling me for a ride and the tow truck to take it to the dealer ...

Some people inherently have problem solving skills, some people don't. I have some staff like that. Something breaks, who do we call for that? Why not take 5 minutes and do a little troubleshooting first?

Some people inherently have problem solving skills, some people don't. I have some staff like that. Something breaks, who do we call for that? Why not take 5 minutes and do a little troubleshooting first?
I think @Salty hit the nail on the head. I think it's less about having the skill and more about laziness or fear.

When I supported a production line, it was amazing the amount of calls I would get for the smallest things "So you've tried nothing and you're already calling me" When I was on vacation it was amazing how many problems got solved at lower-levels.

I get roped into being tech support for my family. "how do you know all this stuff". I don't... I just googled HP Deskjet 5700 setup and followed the 5 step process it told me to do.

90% of PC problems
1. Restart PC
2. uninstall, reinstall
3. Google error code ( follow process from company site, toms hardware forums or reddit)
4. make sure everything is up to date. If not then steps 1-3 again.

Some in my family cant even use a smartphone to find directions. MAP, type in address hit big button that says directions, or I just texted you a link to hit. *sigh no fine I'll resend it cause you cant figure out to scroll up in messeges. Cue phonecall later "hey we are by Walmart which road do we take to get to your place"

Theres no big knowledge requirement or problem solving skills its just get in there and do it. Can you type and move a mouse? If yes then you can be "computer savvy"

Last edited:
There are probably more people on POA who don't understand weight and balance calcs than those who don't understand computers. Just sayin' :p

Nauga,
aft of his datum

MAP, type in address hit bit button that says directions,

Fortunately all I have to do is tell my phone where to take me and it will give me turn by turn directions, because a combination of large fingers and teeny tiny letters on my phone screen makes it too hard to type.

Plus I am the type of person that works extra hard to be lazy...

*So I'm still without my plane for probably another month, so I need to start fights on the internet to feel better about myself.*

There is no excuse for "not being a computer person" in this day and age. Computers have been a main part of the human existence for the last forty years. FORTY. Computer literacy is a requirement in the modern era and integral to functioning in today's society. I'm not saying you need to know how to program a computer from the ground up, but the crap I see on Facebook like people taking pictures of their screens and then uploading it to share something is appalling, not to mention the amount of people that fall prey to blatant scams is sad and preventable.

I despise computers. It is always their way. They never respond to threats or intimidation.

I think @Salty hit the nail on the head. I think it's less about having the skill and more about laziness or fear.

When I supported a production line, it was amazing the amount of calls I would get for the smallest things "So you've tried nothing and you're already calling me" When I was on vacation it was amazing how many problems got solved at lower-levels.

Perfect example that happened to me. Get a call on the weekend from my weekend staffer, water line is burst, water running out front door of the building. I tell him to shut the water off. "Where?" Tell him to find the burst pipe and find a shut off "Where? I don't know where to look". Ok shut off water to the building until you can find the nearest shutoff. "Where?"

Now I don't have magical knowledge of where the water shutoffs are all located, but I can trace a pipe in the basement and find a valve.

Just like if something electrical stops working. Check the breaker. "Which one?" The one that's tripped!

*imagines all of the old farts reading this and waving their fists exclaiming how bad the youngsters are these days*

** Further imagines old farts taking a (blurry, portrait oriented) picture of this post on their monitor with their phone and then (trying to) email it to a massive list of people they forward other junk to using their AOL email account **

*imagines all of the old farts reading this and waving their fists exclaiming how bad the youngsters are these days*
I don't complain about how bad y'all are, I just overcharge you for a weight and balance ;)

Nauga,
who is joking...or is he?

I still to this day hear this on occasion...

User: it's locked up
Me: turn it off and back on
User: I did
Me: what happened?
User: it went' black, now it's back on
Me: what, the monitor?
User: the computer
Me: the big box on the floor?
User: oh, you mean the modem!

Or I don’t care and that is what computer (or any other appliance) repair person is for.
Honestly, I just don’t find computers interesting. I have never understood the fascination that people have for them. But each to their own.

Was hanging out with a friend the other night. He told me that his 85 year old Dad just got a computer and was really enjoying it.
My father was the de-facto "computer wizard" for many people, young and old. He was doing it up until he died at eighty. I'm 65, and work with younger engineers that can't even use the Microsoft Office tools in other than a most rudimentary manner. Very frustrating, given what we do.

There are probably more people on POA who don't understand weight and balance calcs than those who don't understand computers. Just sayin' :p

Nauga,
aft of his datum
GIven that it's a computer based forum that's kind of self selected...

When you have 87 year old in-laws who let technology passed them by it is really a challenge. The business world knows these people represent a shrinking subset of the population and are writing them off rapidly.

When you have 87 year old in-laws who let technology passed them by it is really a challenge. The business world knows these people represent a shrinking subset of the population and are writing them off rapidly.

Can you say, "Jitterbug"? Biz world seems to be exploiting them if you ask me.

Back