Night training

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
FAR 61.10(a)(2)(i) says in essence one flight greater than 100 miles total...is that from take off to landing or round-trip? The contradictory use of the phrase "one flight" used with the word "total" in the same sentence throws me off...

"FLIGHT" doesn't necessarily mean "non-stop" in the part 61 context.

I assume you meant 61.109 (61.110 is the Night Training requirement but refers back to this).

You can land every 10 miles provided that the flight traverses 100 miles (and that the first and last airport are at least 50 miles apart from each other to meet the 61.1 definition of crosscountry.

"FLIGHT" doesn't necessarily mean "non-stop" in the part 61 context.

I assume you meant 61.109 (61.110 is the Night Training requirement but refers back to this).

You can land every 10 miles provided that the flight traverses 100 miles (and that the first and last airport are at least 50 miles apart from each other to meet the 61.1 definition of crosscountry.
This.

Thanks gents. Yes, .109
That will be my night XC, ~60 mi each way.

I would NEVER question my CFI, would you? LOL!

Trust, but verify, as they say.

Thanks for not throwing out the "why don't you ask your CFI?" Most times I do, but want to confirm; other times did not want to bother him on a day off and it was a burning question..,

Just make sure you meet the definition of a cross country. And fly at least 50nm from your "original point of departure". Have had some students get caught trying to fly 30nm west then 60nm East and then back to home. It doesn't quality because they never got more than 50nm from their "original point of departure", even though the total flight was 120nm.

Brian

When is night training required? I'm a new PPL, had night landings and number of night hours, but never needed this.

My CFI had me do my night landings as touch and goes. I read the requirement details the next day and realized I'd have to do 8 more to satisfy. CFI's make mistakes too, not just us guys with training wheels on. :wink2:

I would NEVER question my CFI, would you? LOL!

Trust, but verify, as they say.

Thanks for not throwing out the "why don't you ask your CFI?" Most times I do, but want to confirm; other times did not want to bother him on a day off and it was a burning question..,

Oh and remember, if you have an engine out at night and have to land and don't like what you see as you're landing with the light on, just turn it off.

When is night training required? I'm a new PPL, had night landings and number of night hours, but never needed this.

Its required before you for your check ride. I did a cross country with my instructor during the day. Then we flew the same route at night, one controlled airport was slow so we did a few landings there (making sure not to count that as cross country time) and then returned to the home airport to finish up the ten night landings with one with the airport lights turned off.

Make sure your CFI is current to act as PIC, my wasn't and was out doing his three landings while I was doing the preflight on the aircraft.

You recently completed a PPL and have no logged night XC time?

Correct, I have not logged any night solo XC time. I did a night XC with my CFI, but that was more of a 50 mile trip and night just happened to be convenient.

Edit: Ok, I guess it ended up being 100nmi two way. At first, I thought the OP was referring to solo XC time which threw me off. :)

Last edited:
Correct, I have not logged any night solo XC time. I did a night XC with my CFI, but that was more of a 50 mile trip and night just happened to be convenient.

Edit: Ok, I guess it ended up being 100nmi two way. At first, I thought the OP was referring to solo XC time which threw me off. :)

I never logged any solo night time getting my PPL either. The school I took my lessons from required signoff for any student to solo at night. I had so much night time when I finally got my PPL that the chief instructor was surprised I never asked to be signed off to solo at night.

It's probably not uncommon and I can definitely see WHY schools don't want students flying at night without an instructor present. Too many things to go wrong, lower visibility, disorientation, getting lost is easier..etc.

Just make sure you meet the definition of a cross country. And fly at least 50nm from your "original point of departure". Have had some students get caught trying to fly 30nm west then 60nm East and then back to home. It doesn't quality because they never got more than 50nm from their "original point of departure", even though the total flight was 120nm.

Brian

Repositioning is allowed. The first leg from A to B (30NM) is logged as one flight. B then becomes the "original point of departure". The B to C leg (60NM) as the return to A is logged as cross-country.

I know it seems whacky, but it is what it is. :D

Attachments

• Van Zanen.pdf
    373.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back