Nigerian Scams

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I seem to be getting emails daily from people trying to perpetrate the old Nigerian Scam. The email purports to be from some High ranking official, his accountant, his lawyer or a family member claiming that he, she , they has spirited away a gajillion US dollars and needs help getting it out of the country. I call it the Nigerian Scam b/c I used to get hand written or typed letters all from Nigeria stating the same junk. Now the emails purport to come from every third world country I can think of.
Does anyone else get these a lot. I mean I am getting them several times a week. I used to send the hard copy letters to the secret service. but stopped because I am getting so darn many emails. If anyone knows how I can stop this please tell me. I have been deleting the email but am tempted to respond and tell them to F*#K Off!

AdamZ said:
I seem to be getting emails daily from people trying to perpetrate the old Nigerian Scam. The email purports to be from some High ranking official, his accountant, his lawyer or a family member claiming that he, she , they has spirited away a gajillion US dollars and needs help getting it out of the country. I call it the Nigerian Scam b/c I used to get hand written or typed letters all from Nigeria stating the same junk. Now the emails purport to come from every third world country I can think of.
Does anyone else get these a lot. I mean I am getting them several times a week. I used to send the hard copy letters to the secret service. but stopped because I am getting so darn many emails. If anyone knows how I can stop this please tell me. I have been deleting the email but am tempted to respond and tell them to F*#K Off!

Dude, do it right, and try to scam them back. "Hi Mr Nagombu, I'd really love to help you out as my church always says we should help whomever we can, however due to my health problems my credit has been ruined and I have no bank account. If you send me $500 in cash, I can open an account."

Rumor has that this scam is so successful that it ranks in the top 5 for bringing foreign exchange into Nigeria. That's the rumor, anyway. Boy, there must be a lot of suckers in this world.

Google "Nigerian scam funny" and read some of the letter exchanges. Hilarious stuff.

When I had my Cessna 150 up for sale I had several Nigerian scams going. You know the one where they send you a fake cashiers check and want you to send them the balance by wire. Oh yes, I played two of them for a week. They both sent cashier checks by FedEx next day ($52 a pop) and I led them on for days then told them that I decided not to sell the plane but would keep the money anyway:goofy:. The story could get very long but to keep it short, I had one heck of a blast with them before reporting them to the proper authorities. Then I found out that the detective working my case had a couple that lost $15,000 the week before with the same type of scam. I thought, "Who would be so stupid?" Then, I found out that a co-worker's wife got scammed the same fashion. I guess that there is a fool born every day.

waldo said:
When I had my Cessna 150 up for sale I had several Nigerian scams going. You know the one where they send you a fake cashiers check and want you to send them the balance by wire. Oh yes, I played two of them for a week. They both sent cashier checks by FedEx next day ($52 a pop) and I led them on for days then told them that I decided not to sell the plane but would keep the money anyway:goofy:. The story could get very long but to keep it short, I had one heck of a blast with them before reporting them to the proper authorities. Then I found out that the detective working my case had a couple that lost $15,000 the week before with the same type of scam. I thought, "Who would be so stupid?" Then, I found out that a co-worker's wife got scammed the same fashion. I guess that there is a fool born every day.
We had the same thing here. We sold a big Caterpillar machine to someone out of the UAE (supposedly). Normally this is handled by wire transfers. The guy sent a big check instead, direct to our office. The CFO had it checked by the bank WHO PASSED IT AS LEGITIMATE and still felt something was up. Then he checked it against the drawn bank and found out it was, in fact, a phony.

We get this a few times a year. If it's not wired, we go through a lot of extra checks.

I get a whole bunch of spam at work and on my private email. The best thing to do is delete them without opening them. Some email products will send a receipt automatically which tells them they have a valid email. It gets worse if there's virus or trojan horses in them.

silver-eagle said:
I get a whole bunch of spam at work and on my private email. The best thing to do is delete them without opening them. Some email products will send a receipt automatically which tells them they have a valid email. It gets worse if there's virus or trojan horses in them.
I'm slowly getting a better and better handle on spam here at the office. I've pretty much given up on Exchange-based anti-spam systems. I went with a Barracuda spam firewall instead.

The screenshot is after one week of operation...

Check out http://www.419eater.com/

Follow the "letters Archive" link and read "The Tale of the Painted Breast" - you'll laugh until it hurts!

http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm

Good, GOOD stuff.

I have Nigerian clients (now US Citizens), who explain the prevalence of scamsters in Nigeria as being the natural result of having a relatively well-educated populace stuck in a country with a moribund and corrupt economy; they do what they can to get by.

SCCutler said:
I have Nigerian clients (now US Citizens), who explain the prevalence of scamsters in Nigeria as being the natural result of having a relatively well-educated populace stuck in a country with a moribund and corrupt economy; they do what they can to get by.

Seems like it would take a serious lack of morals/conscence as well as good education and a lousy economy.

Henning said:
Dude, do it right, and try to scam them back. "Hi Mr Nagombu, I'd really love to help you out as my church always says we should help whomever we can, however due to my health problems my credit has been ruined and I have no bank account. If you send me $500 in cash, I can open an account."
I like that!

Henning said:
You do realize that they can then have you prosecuted for scamming them...

SCCutler said:
Check out http://www.419eater.com/

Follow the "letters Archive" link and read "The Tale of the Painted Breast" - you'll laugh until it hurts!

http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm

Good, GOOD stuff.

Pretty impressive, the scam on the scammers. Both sides were persistent. Very persistent.

Jim G

At my camera store I had a telephone call from a client who wanted to buy Nikon digital cameras, a large order. He was calling from England, but it was cheaper for me to sell and ship to him than for he to buy, domestically(so he said). He would pay via Visa.

I was born at night but it wasn't last night and, smelling a scam, "This being international shipping, please hold and I'll get my shipping manager on the line with us." And I dialed Detective Dudley at the police dept. "Inez, I have a scammer on the other line. You are now my shipping manager when we go to conference call. This could be interesting." We arranged to get a confirming purchase order, confirmation of the Visa Account #; and we'd need a couple days to arrange firm prices and the cost of shipping to England. End of first call; and needed information was soon supplied to the client.

I did receive Priority mail with very official-looking purchase order, bank letter of credibility. By that time I had been contacted by U.S. Secret Service office in Portland, they having been contacted by Det. Dudley. "String the guy along for a few days, merchandise so new is in short supply, whatever -- but we need a few days to run some data." They did learn that the bank was legal, the purchasing agency was legal as was the Visa card #. The purchasing agency had never heard of my contact, the Visa card was not their account, and "I just could not get the needed merchandise in a timely manner to supply within the requested delivery." "Stop dealing with the guy."

The Portland office had been instructed to transfer the case to the Washington DC office which had methods of digging deeper into the matter than could Portland.
I learned, later, that a big scam operation was busted as a result of my having an attentive "shipping manager."

HR

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
...I learned, later, that a big scam operation was busted as a result of my having an attentive "shipping manager."HR
AllllRIGHT!!!! Score one for the good guys!!! :yes:

Spike that 419 site was hilarious. I was on the floor I was laughing so hard.:rofl:

Back