Nicely captured learning moment

MarcP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc P
This guy captured a mistake on a departure procedure he flies all the time. Some interesting points:
* A glass panel error precipitated the error
* The glass panel also provided the situational awareness to correct (along with ATC)
* Having redundancy with the VOR already tuned would have been helpful.

Last edited:
^^that guy is a member here. @FlyingMonkey; I saw that the other day and thought ‘good on him for sharing.’

* Having redundancy with the VOR already tuned would have been helpful.
I think it was tuned. He mentioned he eventually got on the bearing pointer, which could have come from the tuned VOR.

then I retract my comment!
I think he should have posted it in the Cleared For The Approach forum, not Aviation Media. If he had confined it to confessing his mistake and left the bragging about his kid out of it, would you be cool with that?

I think he should have posted it in the Cleared For The Approach forum, not Aviation Media. If he had confined it to confessing his mistake and left the bragging about his kid out of it, would you be cool with that?

I don't care where it's posted and I don't watch his videos anymore. haven't after about the first 500 "OMG I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE, YOU MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE MY LATEST MISTAKE SINCE ALL MY OTHER INSANE MISTAKES I MADE". only thing I know is if I made all of the CRAZY MISTAKES YOU HAVE TO SEE as this guy does, I wouldn't be making videos about it, I'd be questioning whether I should be piloting a plane or not. great, now I commented.

I think it was tuned. He mentioned he eventually got on the bearing pointer, which could have come from the tuned VOR.
I saw that part of the video, but wasn't sure if he switched the CDI to tracking the VOR (set to the correct radial), or just followed the bearing pointer.

I am not him, by the way! But I did post this to Cleared For The Approach, but the admins moved it here. Assume any branded videos (or maybe videos in general?) are moved to this area of the forum.

I don't care where it's posted and I don't watch his videos anymore. haven't after about the first 500 "OMG I MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE, YOU MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE MY LATEST MISTAKE SINCE ALL MY OTHER INSANE MISTAKES I MADE". only thing I know is if I made all of the CRAZY MISTAKES YOU HAVE TO SEE as this guy does, I wouldn't be making videos about it, I'd be questioning whether I should be piloting a plane or not. great, now I commented.
He lost me on the video he made while driving his car to make it to his appointment he was late for by not flying. He spent about 0.5% of his attention on driving. I already feel like the cameras can be a dangerous distraction, after that, I'm certain.

He lost me on the video he made while driving his car to make it to his appointment he was late for by not flying. He spent about 0.5% of his attention on driving. I already feel like the cameras can be a dangerous distraction, after that, I'm certain.

he had a couple of videos pretty close to each other awhile back, one where I think the flight was so bumpy his entire family was literally crying and he's just droning on and on about something in his panel or something stupid, completely ignoring the status of his family, and the other was when his wife was trying to do the pinch hitter or whatever he probably forced her to do just for views and again she was in tears and he couldn't give two sh#ts except making his video. that's when I said nope, this guy aint fer me. but on the positive side, I've always commented on how well he edits videos. but I could care less about that.

Well I enjoy flyingmonkey's videos.... good dose of humor and great editing/production... entertaining family travel element sprinkled in with some flying and even some stand-up admissions of mistakes made for us all to maybe learn or at least consider some stuff...
yeah, I don't care for anyone doing the sensational "OMG I almost died" thumbnails, but it's not like he does that all the time... I try to look past stuff, as I hope folks look past the bonehead things that I occasionally do and say...we're all human and we all make mistakes

I liked his vids with the family about the getting the pa32, as well as the Dynon and Tru Track reviews. Then I saw the baggage door open in flight....then the jacket hook on the stabilator. And it gave me pause. Now it's just for clicks.

Sorry Eric. Pass.

Excellent video. So easy to go down that road to disaster. And not faulting the pilot.

But in retrospect, one available option seems lacking in training and practice. If confronted with the situation where both ATC and onboard avionics give a terrain/low altitude alert:

1) Full power and pitch for Vx.

2) Use onboard terrain depiction - if available - and choose a heading toward the lowest of the indicated high terrain, possibly including an immediate 180° turn.

3) Declare an emergency and sort things out with the controller.

In this particular case, such an action would have put him in VMC conditions almost immediately. I know that’s easier said than done, due to the gradual onset of uncertainty of the plane’s proximity to the higher terrain and fixation on the GPS programming and intermittent failure to depict the route. But training should include just such scenario-based situations so the above actions become almost automatic.

edited to add: Such an action would be highly unlikely to lead to any enforcement action. Maybe just a call to the facility to explain what happened, and a NASA report filed just in case. The very last things a pilot in this situation should be worrying about.

Last edited:

I found the video useful. I think it takes some courage a post a video like this admitting an error so others could learn. Terrain warning in IMC would have given me a heart attack. It's easy to speculate from my chair, but I would have immediately asked ATC for a vector away from the terrain instead of trying to figure it out by myself, declaring an emergency if needed.

he had a couple of videos pretty close to each other awhile back, one where I think the flight was so bumpy his entire family was literally crying and he's just droning on and on about something in his panel or something stupid, completely ignoring the status of his family, and the other was when his wife was trying to do the pinch hitter or whatever he probably forced her to do just for views and again she was in tears and he couldn't give two sh#ts except making his video. that's when I said nope, this guy aint fer me. but on the positive side, I've always commented on how well he edits videos. but I could care less about that.
Empathy for the family, I like it, another side of the eman.

Excellent video. So easy to go down that road to disaster. And not faulting the pilot.

But in retrospect, one available option seems lacking in training and practice. If confronted with the situation where both ATC and onboard avionics give a terrain/low altitude alert:

1) Full power and pitch for Vx.

2) Use onboard terrain depiction - if available - and choose a heading toward the lowest of the indicated high terrain, possibly including an immediate 180° turn.

3) Declare an emergency and sort things out with the controller.

In this particular case, such an action would have put him in VMC conditions almost immediately. I know that’s easier said than done, due to the gradual onset of uncertainty of the plane’s proximity to the higher terrain and fixation on the GPS programming and intermittent failure to depict the route. But training should include just such scenario-based situations so the above actions become almost automatic.

edited to add: Such an action would be highly unlikely to lead to any enforcement action. Maybe just a call to the facility to explain what happened, and a NASA report filed just in case. The very last things a pilot in this situation should be worrying about.

This, one of the first lessons I had with the Cirrus taws is if you get a terrain warning, act immediately and decisively, immediate pull to climb attitude, along with full power and right rudder until clear. If it happens, act first, think later. I haven't watched the video, but even a caution would probably evoke a similar reaction, unless I knew to expect it.

Back