NH to VA tomorrow

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Will probably stop 3/4 of the way down for gas/lunch/pee. Suggestions on cool little airports to stop at? Grass airfield with fuel and lunch preferred.

Grass but no gas: 3W3
Gas but no grass: S37

Mind the TFR on the way down...

Last edited:
Sky Manor? Not grass, but nice little airport with a cafe.

W91 (Smith Mountain Lake) is a great airport. There is a bed and breakfast on the field. I’ve had breakfast there, but I don’t know if they offer other meals.

Also trying to decide if I want to deal with flying through the SFRA. I normally go around. Need to find my checklist for flying through that thing.

heading down to KCHO, traveling northwest of the class B and SFRA around DC.

sounds like fun, don't forget your sfra course if you haven't done it.

I went to NC a few weeks ago. I stopped in Easton MD, no grass, gas was ok, but not cheap, FBO was great, sticky buns at restaurant were awesome.

On the east side of the SFRA, Cambridge CGE would be my choice. Good restaurant on the field.

On the west side, Frederick is about 3/4 of the way to CHO. FDK has a decent restaurant on field.

CGE - Kays (Katies?) great breakfast. Like Brad said, that's on the east side. HGR has a good restaurant for lunch/dinner. That will be north/west of the SFRA and a bit north/east of CHO. Neither are grass, though.

Don't fear the SFRA. Easy to file via ForeFlight (there is a SFRA flight plan option). And if you are on flight following, you don't need to worry about calling anyone up when you get to one of the gates.

You make it down there yesterday? I had a trip in the work airplane, and I was amazed how bumpy it was below 10k in the NH/MA area. Pretty bumpy below 5k in the DC area as well.

I was up on Friday, came with in a few hairs of smacking my head on the head liner, one big bump, the rest were just little.

It was like that in my 38,000lb work airplane yesterday. It was strange, there was almost no wind.

Heading down saturday morning was beautiful. Very smooth, slight tailwind. Stopped for fuel in MD, and it was bumpy as hell down to CHO. Then flight back up to DC was bumpy. Today was very nice and smooth up from DC to the NY SFRA to 44N. Interesting accident at 44N, plane took a hard left turn off the runway into the trees. Headed out before the thunderstorms rolled in, and back to NH was bump and dodging cells. Good weekend of flying.

Gas but no grass: S37
When I went up to S37 on Saturday, a Champ was landing in the grass next to the runway; I'll have to ask about that.
Pretty bumpy on the way back to DC.

Back