Nexus 7 4.2 update and Garmin Pilot - Beware

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Got the 4.2 Jelly Bean update installed today, and was sad to learn that it apparently affected Garmin Pilot a bit. I've had to completely deinstall/reinstall the application before it would start post-update, and I have also noticed:

Font issues on the SafeTaxi diagrams. Kinda important since you need to be able to read the taxiway names.
Font issues on the download screens where you select the IAP/Sectional/IFR charts off a map.

The approach plates and moving map and other parts of the app all display properly, I think that the SafeTaxi and other screens are calling fonts that Google either altered or deleted or renamed in the update.

I've notified Garmin, and I have the number for the developers to call on Monday as well.

I hate it that this stuff happens on a Friday when everyone's gone for the weekend. I wish I could roll back the Tablet to the previous version. My new rule will be not to install updates on Fridays anymore (You'd think after 25 years in technical fields I'd have learned this lesson a little better by now).

There is some other stuff I don't like about the latest JB update. Apple handles the updates a LOT better. I also hate Google for the constant update nags, really annoying when I am traveling and want to postpone the update.

IMHO, Google acts as if its too big and cares not about the users.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads-up. My Nexus still hasn't been granted the 4.2 update. They must stage the rollout to throttle server demand. Still waiting.

There's also a bug that is causing Firefox on Android to crash as well, Mozilla is supposed to release an update for that soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I've not had any issues with 4.2, and Garmin Pilot fired right up and updated a bunch of charts immediately after updating. Of course, Garmin also released an update to Pilot at about the same time, so perhaps that's related?

In fact, everything about the tablet seems to be running better with 4.2, with one exception -- I HATE the new clock. Ugliest design, ever. lol

Interesting. I've not had any issues with 4.2, and Garmin Pilot fired right up and updated a bunch of charts immediately after updating. Of course, Garmin also released an update to Pilot at about the same time, so perhaps that's related?

In fact, everything about the tablet seems to be running better with 4.2, with one exception -- I HATE the new clock. Ugliest design, ever. lol

For $.99 you can buy Beautiful Widgets and solve your problem. That's what I did on my S3.

I wish my 10.1 would get an update to JB. ICS really screwed it up. Garmin Pilot works fine, but it killed the battery life when not in use.

For $.99 you can buy Beautiful Widgets and solve your problem. That's what I did on my S3.

I wish my 10.1 would get an update to JB. ICS really screwed it up. Garmin Pilot works fine, but it killed the battery life when not in use.

I had beautiful widgets, and deleted them when I noticed that THEY were killing my battery. That was three Jelly Bean versions ago, though, so maybe that's fixed now.

I had beautiful widgets, and deleted them when I noticed that THEY were killing my battery. That was three Jelly Bean versions ago, though, so maybe that's fixed now.

I don't have BW on my Tab, I do wish I knew what was causing the battery drain though (when I go into settings it just says Phone is taking up 94% or w/e). I only have ICS on my S3, but it hasn't killed the battery at all so I dunno. This post was probably far from helpful. :lol:

check safetaxi if you have it. normal charts are fine.

I just updated to Android 4.2 as well. I see the same font problems in SafeTaxi and in the downloads maps such as VFR Sectionals. You are not alone.

check safetaxi if you have it. normal charts are fine.

Safe taxi and sectionals look fine.

Did you get the latest Pilot update? Maybe try tinkering with font size? I've got mine set to "Blind Old Man" size. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Finally got my 4.2 update pushed down. Thanks to the timely warning here about the Garmin issues...I upgraded anyways! I, too, see the SafeTaxi font problem and added my voice to the tech support notifications. I don't use SafeTaxi that often, so no big deal. The airport taxiway diagrams are another area where ForeFlight far outshines Garmin, not to mention their runway incursion avoidance feature.

Glad it's not just me. Here are two photos showing my Samsung Phone and the updated Nexus 7, with the same safetaxi (KMCI) on both.

I expect Garmin will be able to fix this quickly.

Attachments

• small bad safetaxi.jpg
    small bad safetaxi.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 55
  • small proper safetaxi.jpg
    small proper safetaxi.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 54

No argument there. That clock is ugly. Fortunately, I'm not usually looking at it.

Safe taxi and sectionals look fine.

Did you get the latest Pilot update? Maybe try tinkering with font size? I've got mine set to "Blind Old Man" size. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

The problem is on the download pages where you select which ones you want to download. The sectional names and state names are spread w a y o u t on the maps.

No argument there. That clock is ugly. Fortunately, I'm not usually looking at it.

The problem is on the download pages where you select which ones you want to download. The sectional names and state names are spread w a y o u t on the maps.

Gotcha. I just hit "update all" and didn't even look there.

I suspect Garmin will fix these font problems pronto.

Uh oh. I had Garmin Pilot stop working twice today during a 2.5 hour flight.

It started right up again each time, normally -- but methinks Garmin has a new stability problem with 4.2, in addition to the font problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Uh oh. I had Garmin Pilot stop working twice today during a 2.5 hour flight.

It started right up again each time, normally -- but methinks Garmin has a new stability problem with 4.2, in addition to the font problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Same thing here, using it on a simulator flight last night.... Stopped working twice but restarted successfully.

Hopefully you sent a crash report so they sleuth out the problem.

Hopefully you sent a crash report so they sleuth out the problem.

Sadly, no. In order to make the automatic crash report option disappear (whilst in flight, so you can restart it), you have to dismiss it. I wish there was an option to "send later", but there isn't.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Firefox for android has been updated. Also Control Vision is working on a fix for Anywhere Map: "Hopefully we can get an update out in a few days."

Last edited:
Sadly, no. In order to make the automatic crash report option disappear (whilst in flight, so you can restart it), you have to dismiss it. I wish there was an option to "send later", but there isn't.

Actually, I believe it will hold onto a crash report til the next time you're connected. I'm pretty sure I've opted for the "Send report" option when I've been disconnected.

Glad to hear a fix is coming.

This may be a shortcoming in the Android field. With so many devices running various iterations of the OS, developers are a real disadvantage. Apple can send out a beta of their new OS to all developers to get those kinks worked out on its one device. Not so easy on the Android side.

This may be a shortcoming in the Android field. With so many devices running various iterations of the OS, developers are a real disadvantage. Apple can send out a beta of their new OS to all developers to get those kinks worked out on its one device. Not so easy on the Android side.

I truly don't understand this problem.

Example: Mary just got Jelly Bean (the latest OS) pushed out to her Verizon Motorola Razor M.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck with Ice Cream Sandwich on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

Now there's nothing wrong with the Razor, but the S3 is far more sophisticated -- yet Verizon chose to push the latest OS to the inferior phone first. WTF?

There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way these updates are done, especially when you get a cellular carrier in the mix. This yet another reason to love the Nexus 7. It's pure Google, which means no effing around with Verizon, or anyone else, to get updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7

This yet another reason to love the Nexus 7. It's pure Google, which means no effing around with Verizon, or anyone else, to get updates.

Yet it's us Nexus 7 users that have been bitten by glitches introduced by the new OS that obviously developers didn't have a shot at fixing before it was released, which was my point.

I agree there is no rhyme or reason to the updates, but I suspect that's driven by each individual hardware makers business decisions as to what resources to allocate where, and sometime legacy phones are a lower priority for testing and upgrading than the next whiz-bang version they're about to push out the door.

Yet it's us Nexus 7 users that have been bitten by glitches introduced by the new OS that obviously developers didn't have a shot at fixing before it was released, which was my point.

I agree there is no rhyme or reason to the updates, but I suspect that's driven by each individual hardware makers business decisions as to what resources to allocate where, and sometime legacy phones are a lower priority for testing and upgrading than the next whiz-bang version they're about to push out the door.

True all around. However, after all the horrible reviews of Apple's latest mobile OS, (think "Maps") I don't think this problem is limited to Google... lol

I'm sure we will be getting a Garmin update shortly...

Sent from my Nexus 7

However, after all the horrible reviews of Apple's latest mobile OS, (think "Maps")

The OS is great - The new Maps app is a combination of "really great" and "pure suckitude" that has me wishing for Google to finish their iOS Maps app ASAP. Until then, I have a link to the Google Maps web app for the times that the Apple one chokes on finding something.

It's rare to see heads roll at Apple because they do so many things right, but Scott Forstall, the head of the iOS division, was fired after iOS 6 with the new Maps app came out...

But again, it's only Maps that sucks, not the rest of it.

And..... The Garmin Pilot update just hit my Nexus, font problems fixed... we'll see about stability.

And..... The Garmin Pilot update just hit my Nexus, font problems fixed... we'll see about stability.

Not running on my Nexus, but on my Samsung 8.9, still crashing on whatever was available for update on Wednesday. Luckily got it to crash on the desk Wednesday night and do a report and another crash in-flight today that I didn't restart after so I was able to send that one as well.

I've put about 9 hours in with the Garmin Pilot on the Nexus 7 connected via bluetooth to the GPS output of my simulator. No crashes at all.

Okay, the 4.2 Jelly Bean update is officially crap. It's all over the Android blogosphere that many people are having problems with it.

I was suddenly experiencing random reboots. When it happened twice in ten minutes, I dropped the big bomb -- a factory reset.

This has resolved everything. Best of all, because I linked everything to my gmail account, all of my apps automatically reinstalled themselves.

My advice -- if you haven't updated (as my wife has not), don't. Wait till Google fixes this effing debacle.

Okay, the 4.2 Jelly Bean update is officially crap. It's all over the Android blogosphere that many people are having problems with it.

I was suddenly experiencing random reboots. When it happened twice in ten minutes, I dropped the big bomb -- a factory reset.

This has resolved everything. Best of all, because I linked everything to my gmail account, all of my apps automatically reinstalled themselves.

My advice -- if you haven't updated (as my wife has not), don't. Wait till Google fixes this effing debacle.

Huh... I don't recall any such debacles with my iOS devices. ;) :D

I did a factory reset too as part of the Garmin Pilot issue... still get the occasional Android reboot afterwards.

Garmin pilot after their update seems much more stable. I've used it with the simulator a lot over the holiday, and only had one instance where the application crashed.

Huh... I don't recall any such debacles with my iOS devices. ;) :D

Many iPad2 owners have WiFi connectivity issues based on the 100 plus page thread on the Apple Support forum. They've also had to create point releases due to bugs I'm iOS.

If it is a computer or software, there will be glitches. The key is how they respond. We know Apple refuses to acknowledge the wifi issue. We will see how Google responds.

I did a factory reset too as part of the Garmin Pilot issue... still get the occasional Android reboot afterwards.

Garmin pilot after their update seems much more stable. I've used it with the simulator a lot over the holiday, and only had one instance where the application crashed.

My reboot issue seems to be resolved by the factory reset. The unit is back to being buttery smooth and lightning fast again, too. It was getting laggy, which is now fixed.

Garmin Pilot ran better for us. It never froze up on yesterdays flight, although we experienced one forced closure on the return flight. As always, it reopened instantly without skipping a beat, but Garmin needs to work out what's causing that.

Unfortunately, another reported issue with the 4.2 update is Bluetooth stability. It's always been rock solid, but yesterday it lost connection to the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver twice.

I would revert back to the previous version of Jelly Bean, if I could. I hope Google gets this resolved quickly.

Back