Next time, remember to call the local PD

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Pilot puts her down, hard, off field. Hikes into town so he doesn't miss his meeting, then hitches a ride out of town. Someone sees a crashed airplane, no pilot in sight, and calls 911. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article136471213.html

roxbury-plane-crash-3-courtesy-shawn-anderson.jpg

He did that to a 4 cylinder Maule on tundra tires? Just how hard was that landing anyway?

At some point, and I'm not 100% sure where that is, one has to stop calling it a landing...

Well he did walk away, but the aircraft is not reusable. So that would make it a good landing?

Does seem odd leaving the scene of the accident like that though. In vehicle accidents, it usually means they are hiding something.

I read the article and it said something like the wind turned the plane right as he was landing, catching a wingtip on the ground and it cart wheeled. I did not sound to me as if it was traveling straight down in a level attitude and hit the ground wheels first.

Second time today I've heard of employee getting in accident on way to meeting and leaving scene to go to meeting. IMHO it's stupid to do that. Call the party your meeting and reschedule or risk a 'leaving the scene' charge. The first will get you an explanatory conversation with my employer. The latter will result in termination.

Now, wonder what his BAC was? Jeez, if only he had a blue donut, he may not have cartwheeled.

Last edited:
Holy crap!

How did that guy not end up hurt, that took some major energy.

Now, wonder what his BAC was?
Holy crap!

How did that guy not end up hurt, that took some major energy.

Connected?

I'm sorry, it's unfair for me to speculate, he could have just been a motivated individual who was a realist. He crashed, was like, "Well, not much I can do about that right now, but I can still make my meeting!"

At some point, and I'm not 100% sure where that is, one has to stop calling it a landing...
It was a good landing since he walked away. It wasn't a great landing since the aircraft wasn't immediately reusable.

If he had been carrying paper charts he could have written a note on one saying where he was going to be and left it in the plane.

I've flown in and out of Herrington, KS a few times. It used to be B-24 stop-over base. It's in the middle of the Flint Hills and had 3 runways arrayed in a triangle. Now, 2 sides of the triangle are long feed lots and the North/South runway has been shortened so the cattle can cross the threshold. The first time I landed there I almost did a go-around because there were cows all over the runway only to realize that part of the runway was no longer part of the 'useable' runway.

A long time ago I was in a car accident that involved side swiping a dump truck, spinning out on the highway at about 70 mph, and crashing through the center median. I walked away without a scratch but the car was very totaled. Despite being uninjured I was in shock for a little while and unable to think straight. I can understand how someone might not make the most rational decisions right after crashing their plane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back