Next: Locusts and Frogs

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
We live a mile north of Portland Int'l, Oregon (KPDX). Last night there were 50-knot gusts, and several airliners missed the approach due to wind shear warnings. This morning it was calm and sunny, enough to even make me think of pulling the airplane out. Then an hour ago it started raining. Hard. Then it turned to pea-sized hail, enough to turn the streets and lawns white. Now it's snowing heavily.

I grew up in Southern California, where 12 months out of the year the weather was "morning low clouds and fog, burning off to hazy afternoon sunshine."

This is fun!

-- Pilawt

It was a wild night indeed, and I was out in a lot of it, on missions for batteries, candles, and water, and again later to rescue my sister from work.

I can see most of Portland from my deck, halfway up the same hill OSHU hospital is on. (Can see the airport with binocs from there, too.) Strange lightning, glows of exploding transformers, sparking power lines with burning branches in them, downed trees, wind gusts pushing my big Yukon sideways, puddles of water halfway up the tires--wow, just like being in Grand Forks, North Dakota, during a tornadic thunderstorm. :) Our power was out for only seven hours.

I saw the ice pellets today too---started out as and changed to snow.

Air still smells like damaged evergreens. I am going out to collect big branches later. Should get enough to fashion a free Christmas bush from them.

We got it too down here in Corvallis. Power went out at about 6pm. At around 8, while the wind was really howling, we heard a tremendous crash. Looking out the front window, we saw a tree, or rather, one very large limb, had broken off and hit the house. No major damage to the house this morning, just the metal roof binged up somewhat. Fortunately, I had moved my truck away from the house and trees last night before the storm or it would have been totaled in the driveway. The power came on this morning around 10:30am. It took the better part of the day just to get the large pieces cut up and out of the driveway. there are still all the smaller branches.

I see on the news that they're still looking for those climbers on Mt. Hood. It's a slim chance, but I hope they're still OK.

Tyler

Haven't had any e-mail from home, so I don't know if they've gotten their power back on yet. I suspect my son didn't go into work on Friday as the Intel facility in DuPont was without commercial power. We can only do so much with the on-site generators. I've been lucky. It's just raining (a bunch) here in Taiwan. Everything should be cleaned up by the time I get home on Wednesday.

I got an update from home. Power went out at the house at 8 PM Thursday evening. It's still out. The 'main' street that goes by our neighborhood is impassible towards town due to downed trees and power lines. Take a look at the pictures in this link. The first one, the tree on a 1980 TransAm, is just about 1/4 mile down the street from us. I go by that place every day going to and from work, or any other time I head into town. Bet it's still a mess when I get home on Wednesday.

http://community.theolympian.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album563

Back