*NEWS* DEDICATED ANGLE OF ATTACK WEBSITE

Have you ever flown with an AoA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could fix the poll by adding a straight "No" and "Exploring it"

I like AoA. Have it in the RV and encouraging it for the certificated club planes.

@Maui Cirrus CFII How many more advertising links you got left up your sleeve? Might as well spew them all out now.

I thinks @weirdjim got it right in post #2.

But I do still like AoA and would like to read a thread that is not written by Madison Avenue.

@Maui Cirrus CFII How many more advertising links you got left up your sleeve? Might as well spew them all out now.

I thinks @weirdjim got it right in post #2.

But I do still like AoA and would like to read a thread that is not written by Madison Avenue.

Thanks... there are technical articles and videos by the FAA and myself on www.iflyaoa.com

you're missing it... linking to a site with products, pricing, and live chat is SALES, it isn't even subtle.

There's a video of Chuck Yeager (modern day, elderly) being assisted in to the rear seat of an F-15 for an "Honor Flight." As the camera is rolling and he's sliding into the seat the AOA indicator catches his eye.

"That, to me, is a stupid instrument. It tells you what your angle of attack is. If you don't know, you shouldn't be flyin'."

There's a part of me that has always privately agreed with that sentiment. I'm not opposed to AOA indicators at all, particularly in jets during a high workload phase like an instrument approach. But most GA piston pilots would be doing themselves a hell of a lot more good spending that same money they'd waste on an AOA gauge, on 5-10 hours of aerobatics instead.

Akro really helps the pilot get in touch with AOA in a direct way... rather than having to be reminded of it by looking at an instrument. Put another way, if you have to look at an AOA indicator to know your angle of attack, you have a problem which an AOA indicator can't fix.

Maui, Why don't you come up with a rudder pedal shaker to keep us from getting uncoordinated in the base-final turn? Why not have lights, buzzers, bells, whistles and vibrators turn on for any bank angle exceeding 10 deg or if airspeed drops below normal cruise? Jeez, just get out and fly until you know your plane.

Can we just spam his threads with competition?

http://www.alphasystemsaoa.com/

I'd I were to run a AOA on my plane I'd go alpha, seems like more of the backcountry folks like alpha too.

You also don't see their minions spewing nonsense on every forum, they rely more on quality and word of mouth from customers, not sales people.

Way better HUD design, plus it can fold flat and disappear, vs being one of those planes that has that ton of crap on the glareshield/panel look

And to answer the OPs "question" which was more of a pitch a than a question, yes, I fly with a AOA at work, and no, I don't have a AOA in my 185 and I don't see the need in that plane.

Last edited:
I just calibrated the AOA on my Aspen 1000 and I used it on my flight to CA from MD. It really gave me a bit of piece of mind on my take off from M01 (Memphis area) in 50 + knot winds up to 7000 feet with a 74 Knot headwind to Rusty Williams 3F3. In that turbulence, climbing to altitude was a handful and the AOA kept me confident during the climb.

I fly like all my fathers and grandfathers before me did before there was such a thing as angle of attack displays.

I get the hate for Maui, he's really obnoxious with his spam. But I don't understand the hatred of AOA indicators. It's obviously not something you NEED, but why not have another tool in the toolbox? All the argument sounds exactly the same as those who speak out against lane departure systems in new cars, saying "I'm a very good driver, I don't need it". Perhaps, but it's not hurting anything but your wallet to have it.

Every Cessna I've flown has a built in AoA indicator. I use the tone of the stall horn as my AoA indicator for slow/steep bush approaches.

*EDIT - The variable stall horns with the open hole in the wing... NOT the tab-style stall warning systems.

According to me wife, I'm AOA all the time.

All Out A$$#ole

I get the hate for Maui, he's really obnoxious with his spam. But I don't understand the hatred of AOA indicators. It's obviously not something you NEED, but why not have another tool in the toolbox? All the argument sounds exactly the same as those who speak out against lane departure systems in new cars, saying "I'm a very good driver, I don't need it". Perhaps, but it's not hurting anything but your wallet to have it.
I don't, either. An AoA is, without a doubt, one of the best pieces of equipment you can have available to you. Except for Maui's. Buy any other one than his.

I'm that guy who thinks most airplanes and all transport category aircraft should have them.

some people have no shame - or respect for others.

I thought this was a dedicated AOA website?

I need another option in that poll. " No, and I know enough about them I won't get one anytime soon."

And by flying more efficiently, it should save the average American family $2,500 a year!

There is no gentle way to say this, most of the higher-ups who are pushing for the repeal of AOA, know the device won't just go away. They also know a portion of pilots don't like Maui Wowie, and don't understand AOA's function. They are using this as leverage to play politics with your family's safety.

There is no gentle way to say this, most of the higher-ups who are pushing for the repeal of AOA, know the device won't just go away. They also know a portion of pilots don't like Maui Wowie, and don't understand AOA's function. They are using this as leverage to play politics with your family's safety.

wait.gif

I don't see anyone showing hate towards AoA devices. All I'm saying is, don't make it like it's worlds ahead of a stall horn / light, because it's not. I don't agree with Icon saying it's a "game changer." Game changers were GPS NAV, TCAS, glass with SVT and for some of us, NVGs. This AoA is nothing more than a better depiction of an impending stall and allows a more precise final approach speed vs VSO x 1.3. It's not going to save you for rapid manuvering flight or the spin on base to final scenario. If you think it will, then you just haven't seen or know how the brain works when it's distracted or panicked. I have.

So, if I were to buy a new plane today, then I wouldn't mind at all having another gadget like an AoA indicator available. To convert my present aircraft to an AoA or any stall indicator for that matter, would be unnecessary. Flying my book approach speed and correcting for weight and knowing about AOB vs stall speed is more than enough to be a safe pilot. Gadgetry can't replace an understanding of your aircraft and basic aerodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back