Newport RI recommendations

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
My daughter will be graduating from Navy OCS next July 12th. No surprise, but the Newport hotels are pricy. I know nothing about the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for someplace else local that would be nice enough but less money. I am thinking of flying into Newport State.

My daughter will be graduating from Navy OCS next July 12th. No surprise, but the Newport hotels are pricy. I know nothing about the area. Does anyone have any recommendations for someplace else local that would be nice enough but less money. I am thinking of flying into Newport State.
When my son graduated from OCS there four years ago, we did an AirBnB. That offered us a good base, plenty of room, and reasonable cost for the family - took his wife with us.

Congrats to her. Thats high season in RI and you’ll need to get away from anything even close to Newport or the beaches. Suggest looking up in Warwick near TF Green or, as suggested, see if you can find an air BNB. Quonset or Westerly are my airports of choice.

I know those seem far away but RI just isn’t that big.

Depending on how close to Newport you want to be for the graduation and pre/post festivities you could stay up around the Warwick area like @Pugs said or Westport, Somerset Ma area that has some options about 20 minutes from Newport. (don't stay IN Fall River) Staying on this side of Narragansett Bay (opposite side of Quonset) EWB would be my choice. I've never landed at UUU I know it can be a furball in the summer at times.

If she's graduating OCS, she would have access to reserve a room at the Navy Lodge on base. It has a really nice water view on the north end of the base and is much nicer than staying at most places in town. She MIGHT be able to swing the Gateway Inns & Suites by the main gate. The tower is a beautiful, new facility with all the amenities of a 3-star hotel. The older building (I forget what they call it) not so much so if she tries that option, make sure she specifies the tower. The base is a very short drive from KUUU.

Congrats to your daughter! It’s been 35 years since I saw the Jamestown bridge in my rearview mirror, so I can’t help with hotels.

Bristol and Tiverton are both nice and within a 30-40 minute drive of Newport. Congrats to your daughter!

Back