Newest Cloud Buster

N50909

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexASH Pilot
As of about 9:30 this morning, I am an Instrument Rated Private Pilot. :) :) :)

Thanks, guys!!

For me it's definitely just another license to learn. I look back at my PPL and it's amazing how little I knew back then. I hope to say the same about getting my IR in a few years.

Here's the checkride story. It was was easier than I expected (aren't they always?). Without me really being too aware of it, my CFII and the cheif instructor had put me through an almost identical oral and checkride 3 times in the last couple of weeks.

The oral was mostly regs. I was warned about this before-hand so it wasn't a surprise when the DPE said my answer for flying the highest of the Cleared, Expected, and MEA altitudes was correct 99% of the time but could get me killed or "violated" the other 1%. The example he gave was flying out ASH, cleared up to 2,000, expect 4,000 in 10 minutes. MEA is 5,000 (for example). If I lose the radio immediately after takeoff, and climb immediately to 6,000 (since I'm heading West I have to fly even alts) I could end up flying right through the approach path of planes landing at MHT. If I wait 10 before climbing to 4,000 I stay under MHT's approach pattern. Discuss amongst yourselves. He had a couple of hot button issues and towards the end it turned into more of a teaching session for these hot buttons (like the lost com altitudes) than an an inquisition. Since my written score was kinda low, he said I must be one of those people who suck on the written, but do well on the oral. That was nice to hear.

The practical was fairly straightforward. It was a littly bumpier/windier than I would have liked, but I did a good job holding headings/altitudes. We flew up to MHT and did the ILS 35, missed approach, LOC 35, missed, then flew the VOR-A into ASH with a few laps around the MHT VOR prior to flying inbound. I could use the fairly strong winds an an excuse, but truth is my holds needed work. On the last lap, he told me to extend the outbound a little to get nice and established inbound. With the needle staying put and on a set course, he covers the DG/AI to simulate a vacuum failure. He changed the page on the GPS to the frequency selection so I couldn't use it to navigate. I held the course steady and decended down to MDA. Foggles off. Turn base for 32. He says, "As long as you don't crash, you passed."

I didn't crash. :)

Andy, Good work! I'm always glad to hear of another cloud buster.

Congratulations, Andy. Probably the most useful rating/certificate you can get as a pilot, beyond the initial private certificate!

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone!

Very rewarding training IMO.

Congtrats. The masters degree of flying!

I thought that was the Commercial? Private = Associate's, Instrument = Bachelor's, Commercial = Master's, and ATP = PhD. ;)

Congrats on whatever it is, it's a very useful rating. I was wondering initially if you were Tony's student that passed the same day.

I started looking at the commercial, and certainly no disrespect to those who have it (as I hope to within the next year) but it looks as though it's just reinforcing what you should really already know at this point rather than teaching you anything new. Would that be an accurate assesment?

I started looking at the commercial, and certainly no disrespect to those who have it (as I hope to within the next year) but it looks as though it's just reinforcing what you should really already know at this point rather than teaching you anything new. Would that be an accurate assesment?

I think so. You have to learn a few new maneuvers, know a few more things, and be a bit more precise, but... yeah.

Of course, I may be in for a rude awakening when I actually really start working on it. :eek: :yes:

I think so. You have to learn a few new maneuvers, know a few more things, and be a bit more precise, but... yeah.

Of course, I may be in for a rude awakening when I actually really start working on it. :eek: :yes:
I would describe the CPL coursework as PPL on steroids. More to do and do it all better with precision, safety and knowledge to back it up.

In the beginning, some of it seems silly on the surface but there's a method to the madness you begin to see.

IMlessthanHO, it is a license to have fun, Andy.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back