Newest airmen in Sacramento

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
I slapped the alarm at 5am, my normal wake up is 8am (hard life). Slapped it again at 5:07. Didn't sleep well all night, nerves kept rem sleep from invading my bed.

Rolled into the airport at 6:15, met up with my instructor shortly after. Asked him to remind me of all the antennas one last time. He showed me and then told me to calm down and enjoy the beautiful California morning weather.

7am sharp, the DPE rolls up in his trusty old Volvo. Lets do this. I'll only cover what's different than from other PPL check ride write ups. In short - answer the question and shut-up. Don't volunteer, he'll ask you another way to get more information. BTW, my CFI is sitting in the back of the room as if he's auditing! Uggh. More pressure.

Had 3 hours of oral and my mouth is sore (slap, not that kind). Basically followed the PAVE model throughout the entire process. Was perfect and had a great flow without jumping around too much. Slowly talking about the Pilot - my limitations, privileges, what I need to do before a pre-flight. Tons more about pilot, but it's basically the same any most other write ups.

Moved on the the Airplane. Talked about required inspections, looked at the logs. Asked about the primary control surfaces. Then asked which each control surface does. Elevator for pitch, ailerons for rolls, rudder for yaw. Then asked me the names of the axis for each one...Dear in head lights moment! I kind of fumbled here, I sat quietly remembering, he sat quietly looking at me. A few minutes later, the words came out, no looking through books. A little awkwardness. How can i forget Vertical, Longitudinal, and Lateral? Shesh. I'll remember them now. Required equipment, failed equipment, do we have a MEL? A few more basic questions about the plane.

Onto the Environment. Got out the charts, the cross country, POH. Asked how I planned it and why the route. He thought the route was great. What weather tools did I use, how did I pick my altitude, asked if there were any special air spaces. I pointed out some really tinny NSA and Restricted airspaces (the restricted is about 3x4NM) and I said we won't be flying near the restrictions. Showed him how I get my heading from true heading, used my trusty E6B slide ruler (g). Fun. He pointed to a few spots, asked what type of airspace each was and class requirements. Easy. Then. He found an airport (try to guess!) on his electronic knee board. There's an untowered airport, but controlled airport nestled in class B airspace. He asked what type of airspace it was in. I looked at it for a few moments. I answered "This is an interesting area. The blue hash marks are class D, but the airport is magenta for untowered. I've never seen that." He started laughing. He explained it a little more and not worry. It said it took him many months to find an airport in class D and untowered.

Finished up some more environment. Asked me "how long are sigments good for". I spit out an answer then promptly said "wait, I don't think that's right.". Finally, about 2 hours into this I'm finally going to open my FAR/AIM to the aim section. 7-1-6..BAM. Right there. Thank goodness I double checked, I was off by 2 hours.

External pressures. Asked a few questions about this, easy.

He had a few misc questions. What side is the green nav light on? Can you fly without it? Etc.

Ok, lets go fly.

Preflight. I'm checking out the plane and praying to the weather gods to stop having random rain. I pre-flight, he watches. Asks me questions about various antennas, what's this thing behind the alternator - I looked. Saw the teeth retracted, guessed starter from my knowledge of replacing the starter in my car. Asks me what would happen if the exhaust came loose. Asks me a few more boring questions as I inspect.

Engine start, run-up, depart using modified cross country from original plan - only climb 5500, not 7500. Climb checklist. I get flight following because the straight out departure is an alert area, he thanks me for getting FF. Level off, cruise checklist. Ran into a sudden smoke cloud (hood on). We simulate filing PIREP for the smoke. I tell him I need to divert due to sudden visibility lost, he tells me which airport to head to. I mark the time, put X on chart, estimate heading, altitude change, distance, time, fuel. I inform flight following we are diverting. I pull the map out and start looking for frequencies.....all of a sudden he declares "my control." "Your control" "My control, time for unusual attitudes since you were looking at the map". Done. Back to navigating. Wasn't allowed to use the GPS after the diversion - not even back to home airport.

With flight following, hood on, diverting. Getting lots of traffic calls, I respond with looking for traffic. When the DPE spots it, he tells me, I radio it in. Control terminates flight following, sqawk VFR. Remove hood. There's the airport, straight ahead and below us! Perfect! Radio that we are 5 miles south, inbound for landing. Get AWOS. Engine failure. Change from over flying mid field and start making a run away from airport and line up for a straight in landing. Perfect. About to land, he declares go around. So I do.

Around the track, soft field landing. Full stop. Taxi back, soft field take of. Around the track, short field landing. Short field take off. Depart to the north.

Monitor Approach, DPE thanks me. Clearing turns (between most the following). Steep turns, stalls, Electrical fire - emergency descent without flaps. Recover. S-turns. Head back to home airport. No Flaps landing, demonstrate slip.

Land. Engine shut down at fuel station. Shakes my hand and says "Congratulations, meet you inside when you're done here".

Whew. Went home, had lunch, took yet another shower. Time for a nice cold one.

As has been said MANY MANY TIMES: Relax. Breathe. Relax. Answer questions short and to the point then shut up (i was actually good at this).

Congratulations Pilot!!!
Where is your first destination and who is first pax?

Congratulations! Sounds like there's still another big story to be told soon, since I didn't hear anything about a trip with your SO yet.

Congrats. If I ever make it back to CA or you come to TN a beers on me.

Congrats Mitch! :rockon:

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations Pilot!!!
Where is your first destination and who is first pax?

Due to schedules and a wedding, our first flight will be next weekend. Going to try Montery. If weather isn't good, going to shoot for something inland and pretty...perhaps Columbia and walk around the ghost town. I've done a bay tour with the CFI and SO. Did a XC to Reid Hill. Flew out of San Jaun PR too w a CFI and the SO. I'm comfy on the radio, bf wants to sit in the front seat. Should be able to handle Montery...

Congratulations! Sounds like there's still another big story to be told soon, since I didn't hear anything about a trip with your SO yet.

Didn't want to leave you with a simple 'See above.' On my first flight, I plan on asking my boyfriend to marry me after we land somewhere. Something along the lines of 'we should explore new places and fly together for the rest of our lives'. Have the rings already hidden at best mans house. Even ordered a custom made ring box off etsy. :) Not sure if he's going to flip more about the box or the ring...the box was not cheap and involves a non-tacky LED to make it shine.. :dunno:

Well done. Hope to meet you some day at DWA, EDU, or 1O3.

Im a tall guy, hard to miss. :)

I am sure this has made the POA rounds but a great airplane proposal nonetheless

Congrats man!!!

Congrats.

Monterey has been getting regular marine layer, clearing to scattered around 11AM. It has been remaining over Marina most of the day, so you won't see a "sky clear" report. Weather has been much better at Salinas and Watsonville, so there are very easy diversions.

Watch the TPA at Monterey. It's VERY high -- 1700. Terrain.

Congratulations! Where were you training out of, KSAC?

Thanks everyone.

I was reading the procedures and noise abatement for Monterrey on their website and saw the TPA in the AF/D. Thanks for the reminder though.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that Marine layer. Could arrive late morning, but what time does it start coming in, in the afternoon? This is why I have my alternate location picked out inland. :)

Thanks everyone.

I was reading the procedures and noise abatement for Monterrey on their website and saw the TPA in the AF/D. Thanks for the reminder though.

Yeah, I'm afraid of that Marine layer. Could arrive late morning, but what time does it start coming in, in the afternoon? This is why I have my alternate location picked out inland. :)

It has been my experience that the TAFs generally predict marine layer pretty well. Usually, the marine layer comes in pretty late, but if the TAF says 3PM, get the F out of there at least an hour earlier.

Today,

KMRY 231137Z 2312/2412 08004KT P6SM SKC FM231600 VRB03KT P6SM SKC FM231800 29011KT P6SM SKC FM240300 24004KT P6SM SKC FM240600 VRB03KT P6SM SKC

No clouds at all and pretty nice conditions, until 1200Z tomorrow. That's 5AM. I'd call that a "go," provided you can stay clear of all the @#$^ TFRs in the Bay Area.

Noise abatement has you up to 900 feet before any turns (generally, you cross Hwy 1). Make sure you can stay 500 below clouds, or ask for SVFR. IF there is no significant wind, you can take off on 10R for much better marine layer avoidance, but it's weird and Tower may not like it, especially if there is incoming traffic. 3 or 4 knots tailwind on a 7000+ foot runway is not going to cramp your style, but the incoming 737 may not like it.

FYI, a fairly traditional first cross-country for new pilots around here is Columbia (o22). Aside from occasional screwy winds due to the terrain, it's not a difficult flight. It can be hot there, though. It's about a mile hike to the state historic park. I don't recommend the turf runway in a 172 unless it's cool. It's a hair on the short side.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that the TAFs generally predict marine layer pretty well. Usually, the marine layer comes in pretty late, but if the TAF says 3PM, get the F out of there at least an hour earlier.

Thanks. Good to know the TAF can predict a little.

No clouds at all and pretty nice conditions, until 1200Z tomorrow. That's 5AM. I'd call that a "go," provided you can stay clear of all the @#$^ TFRs in the Bay Area.

Shooting for next weekend, the crazy TFRs will be gone.

FYI, a fairly traditional first cross-country for new pilots around here is Columbia (o22).

Live in Sacramento, used to the heat. Been to Columbia before on my long cross country solo during PPL. It's pretty. They do take altitude density serious there, there's a big sign when you taxi to the runway. :)

Thanks again for all the tips. I'm filling them in my Evernote! Much appreciated.

One other tip…. don't go to Monterey if you can't tolerate staying overnight. That's the backup, and you do not want to get in the situation where you launch in less than comfy conditions 'cause you have to get back right now.

The marine layer is a likely risk, but you could have a 20 knot north wind blast up, for instance. The marine layer clearing is often followed by moderate gusty winds a few hours later, though usually right down the runway (that's why they are oriented that way).

Last edited:
Job well done, congrats! Excellent write up. You had a tough checkride and did well.

Yah you really gotta be careful of that marine layer. I am a new pilot and I already had a scary brush with it getting out of Santa Cruz. Also, I think my next XC is going to be to Columbia, what ghost town are you speaking of?

Yah you really gotta be careful of that marine layer. I am a new pilot and I already had a scary brush with it getting out of Santa Cruz. Also, I think my next XC is going to be to Columbia, what ghost town are you speaking of?

It's not a ghost town. It's the town. Columbia State Historic Park is right in the middle.

Unless you arrive at a weird time, walk into the terminal and ask either one of the permanent airport bums on the bench outside, or the guy collecting overnight fees, how to walk to the park. It's not far. Behind the elementary school to the highway, then turn left.

Last edited:
what ghost town are you speaking of?

I did my solo long cross country here. Never left the airport, was just told about it. Will be there next Sat with my PPL and better half. :) figure it'll be better since I've already done the flight and will be first time taking someone without a baby sitter. :)

Back