Newbie here and need advice

uh-60crewdawg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JET
Good evening,

I found this message board on Google, and from what I have read, I am really impressed with the expertise advice. I want to get my Private Pilots license, but I have several medical concerns that I'd like opinions on before I even waste time trying to pursue this dream of mine. I've not seen an AME yet.

Now, my situation is: I am a 34 year old male, I am veteran of Iraq (Army UH-60 crew).I receive disability from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs for being diagnosed with PTSD and Re-Adjustment disorder. This was back in 2008-2009 timeframe. For this, I have been prescribed by my VA physician from then to the present:

Bupropion HCL 150MG 12HR SA TAB (2 daily)

Fluoxetine HCL 20MG CAP (3 daily)

By my primary care physician I have been prescribed Lisinopril for High Blood Pressure 5 MG (1 daily).

I also take an occasional OTC Zyrtec for seasonal allergies.

What advice do you folks have to offer? Do I have a snowballs chance of getting an up slip or am I chasing a pipe dream?

Thank you in advance,

JT

:heli:

Wait for Dr Bruce, he'll know about the meds and the PTSD issues.

Remember, you can always fly Light Sport. But not after a medical application has been denied.

Thank you for your service to our country, JT.

As Bill said, don't fill out any official FAA forms until you have had a conversation with Dr. Bruce Chien. He is very well equipped to provide the correct advice regarding obtaining your medical certificate. If it's possible, he'll say so.

If you need to speak with him offline, his contact info can be found at www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

FAA does not like PTSD. The SI pathway (of which I was author #2 of 4) only provides for one of Fluoxetine, Sertraline, citalopram or escitalopram for the diagnosis of DEPRESSION. And for Depression you have to be stable on ONE med for a year. PTSD is a horse of a different color.

So you have two medications and the wrong diagnosis. Even if you wanted to commit the $4,000 for private, HIMS certified neuro-psych profile + forensic psych investigation, the outcome is definitely not assured.

If that is all the information I am going to have I would definitely discourage going anyplace near an AME office.

See the attached Federal Register Publication.

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The Bupropion HCL 150MG 12HR SA TAB states for PTSD on the RX.

Fluoxetine HCL 20MG CAP states for depression on the RX.

I've been taking both for over 3 years and not had any adverse effects or worsening symptoms. I've actually made great progress in my recovery through therapy.

I'm happy for you personally!
But the FAA point of view is.........."so..............?"

Now some years down the road if you are off all meds for a good period, and can pass a forensic review box 18(m) will be "yes" and that triggers all, you can be certified.

Can't lie and leave it out, your prescription and diagnosis codes are no longer protected by medical record status and they WILL FIND OUT and revoke your PILOT certificates.

So basically at the present time, I need not bother to get a medical certificate or taking flying lessons. Is there anything I can do in the interim to change that? Documentation from my VA shrink? Are there any allowable meds for a PTSD diagnosis?

I'm happy for you personally!
But the FAA point of view is.........."so..............?"

Now some years down the road if you are off all meds for a good period, and can pass a forensic review box 18(m) will be "yes" and that triggers all, you can be certified.

Can't lie and leave it out, your prescription and diagnosis codes are no longer protected by medical record status and they WILL FIND OUT and revoke your PILOT certificates.
Boy that really sucks. This guy gave to his country, and suffers. Does he have any other options, like glider or sport pilot, or are they out as well?

LSA is one route.
Self launch glider (don't sniffle at it, one of them goes 140 ktas at 17,500)....

I haven't checked the log-book or totaled the times, but know for a fact that many of the planes I flew for a number of years were (or would have been if it had been invented back then) LSA-certifiable.

If I were in OP's shoes, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to jump in one of them and fly to my heart's content. There's no difference in the amount of fun to be had, and absolutely no reason to chase the PPL until the timing is better.

I'm sorry you're being forced to deal with the after-effects of your service and glad to hear of your progress. Hope it continues to a full recovery.

How long would I have to be off of the meds? Is there anything that my physician at the VA can do? A letter? Other documentation? Change me to different medications? Level with me as to what my options are. This really sucks. Thank you.

Welcome JT. Look for an LSA aircraft and go that route. There are some limitations on what you will be able to do (Google the FAR/AIM and read it for yourself), but you will be able to fly some pretty cool aircraft and have a lot of fun. If your primary goal is having fun, you can sure do that with an LSA, and if you have a driver's license, that is all the medical certification you will need, other than self-certifying before each flight (which all of us are supposed to do). Good luck, and thank you for your service. Keep us posted.

Agreed about LSA being worth a look

There are more and more capable aircraft already on the flightline that qualify and more being designed and produced. Many are very sexy looking, well fitted on the panel options, and faster than most of the 4-place certified fleet.

If you are seeking to fly for recreational purposes at first, then LSA can help scratch that itch while you continue to work through the PTSD and Re-Adjustment issues.

Then, once sufficient progress has been made, you're off the meds, and you followed Bruce's guidance on getting all the right evaluations and documentation, you can go to Bruce and apply for the "upgrade" of a 3rd class Medical.

LSA seems like a good route, and you can also fly "bigger" airplanes as long as there's another fully-qualified pilot buddy on board who's willing to be the ACTING pilot-in-command.

Take care of your health first, and if you can recover to the point where you no longer require the medications there are then (currently arduous and expensive) paths for you to get a medical certificate.

I appreciate the feedback. I've researched the Sport Pilot route and am going to pursue that to scratch my itch. Waiting on more info from a local school that teaches the Sport Pilot curriculum. The fleet of LSA they have look pretty sweet. I believe they are FlightDesign. Anyhow, again thank you. I will keep you all updated.

JT,

First, THANKS for your service. As others have stated, taking care of your health comes first.

LSA is the way to go, fun aircraft that will keep you busy until everything else is sorted out.

Here is a blog about a friend that flys a LSA. You might have to look back a few years to the purchase and trip home but its good reading.

Light Sport Aeronaut

Last edited:
Welcome to POA, and thanks for your service. I'm pretty saddened by the backlash that happens to our Vets as they re-integrate back to civilian life, but as others have said "health first".

Looking forward to hear more about your LSA pursuit!

Welcome to POA, and thanks for your service. I'm pretty saddened by the backlash that happens to our Vets as they re-integrate back to civilian life, but as others have said "health first".

Looking forward to hear more about your LSA pursuit!

Absolutely. Other than having sat in one several years ago I have no experience with LSAs. Hearing more about them would be interesting to me. Stay in touch.

And, as other have already said, thanks again for your service.

I haven't checked the log-book or totaled the times, but know for a fact that many of the planes I flew for a number of years were (or would have been if it had been invented back then) LSA-certifiable.

If I were in OP's shoes, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to jump in one of them and fly to my heart's content. There's no difference in the amount of fun to be had, and absolutely no reason to chase the PPL until the timing is better.

I'm sorry you're being forced to deal with the after-effects of your service and glad to hear of your progress. Hope it continues to a full recovery.

I agree with Wayne and as others have said thank you for your service to our country. If you tell us where you live we may be able to direct you to some good flight schools or independent instructors who could help you out. Worst case you may be able to score a ride with some POAers!

Does he have any other options, like glider or sport pilot, or are they out as well?
As long as he's on those meds, pretty much yes. The fact that you don't need a medical certificate to do those things doesn't change the fact that 14 CFR 61.53(b) still requires that you not be "unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner", and those are psychoactive drugs which the FAA feels affect that ability. If you can get your personal physician to say you're still safe to fly while taking them, you may be able to go that route, but you'll have to talk that over with the prescribing physician.

I appreciate the feedback. I've researched the Sport Pilot route and am going to pursue that to scratch my itch.
You will still have to get your VA physician who is fully aware of your medical situation to agree that you are safe to pilot an aircraft in your current condition while on those drugs before you can solo. You should discuss that with that physician before going further.

I've already discussed this several times over many visits to my healthcare provider at the VA. She is willing to do everything within her power to help me accomplish this goal. She feels it would be good therapy for me as she knows I am passionate about it. I've always enjoyed flying. I find peace and tranquility when I am in the air. Flying is one thing I miss about being in the Army. I'd gladly trade the meds I'm on for my condition for the ability to pilot an aircraft and make that my medication. I'd fill that RX any day of the week.

And for the response as to where I live, I live in the Hampton Roads VA area. Chesapeake Aviation as far as I know is the only place that teaches Sport Pilot.

I've already discussed this several times over many visits to my healthcare provider at the VA. She is willing to do everything within her power to help me accomplish this goal. She feels it would be good therapy for me as she knows I am passionate about it. I've always enjoyed flying. I find peace and tranquility when I am in the air. Flying is one thing I miss about being in the Army. I'd gladly trade the meds I'm on for my condition for the ability to pilot an aircraft and make that my medication. I'd fill that RX any day of the week.

And for the response as to where I live, I live in the Hampton Roads VA area. Chesapeake Aviation as far as I know is the only place that teaches Sport Pilot.

I wouldn't give up the meds if you need them, but if you've talked it over with your physician and they are good for you to go verbally, I do not believe there is anything they need to actually sign or put their name to on paper to go light sport. Certainly not for glider, as far as I understand. so long as you are not aware of anything that would make you unsafe to operate as pilot in command of a light sport aircraft or glider.

And thank you for your service as well! I've found that doing something that I love via light sport or gliders helps me a whole lot with bouts of depression at the same time! Good fortunes hopefully await you!

Last edited:
I had an appt with my Doc at the VA on Friday. I meant to stop by this thread to ask you all what medications are approved by the FAA that she could prescribe me instead of the unauthorized meds I'm currently taking. I discussed this with her, but she stated she had no knowledge on the subject, but to find out and let her know on my next follow-up in 45 days.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to work directly with Doc Bruce, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

In the mean time, fly sport pilot and enjoy. If you intend to go the private pilot route after the medical issues are cleared up then make sure your sport pilot instructor is not just CFI-SP (or whatever the designation is for sport pilot only instructors).

Wow, this 3rd class medical stuff is scaring me. I need some advice.
First, I have a private pilot license but haven't flown for 35 years (I'm 55).
I consider myself extremely fit for my age but on paper, I don't look so good....
-Kidney Cancer 8 years ago, full nephrectomy, considered cured.
-Divorce 7 years ago, counceling, some depressesion (who wouldn't after cancer and divorce together)
-Seasonal Affectiveness disorder, I currently take Prozac during the Winter, but it is not severs at all
- Fluticasone Propionate Spray for allergies
- And lastly, I'm on blood pressure medication and it is is controlled well. (high blood pressure is hard on kidneys of which I only have one, see above.

I did talk to my Doctor, not a AME. His opinion is he doesn't see any reason why I wouldn't be fit to fly.

So, what to do? I am rebuilding an Experimental that won't qualify as LSA, and I really want to get back active, been waiting for the 3rd class determination, but not optomistic.

I would really, really would appreciate any information or advice!

Roger D.

I bet you can get it done, but you need to consult with an aeromedical doc who specializes in SI (Special Issuances) - that needs to be Bruce Chien, MD

We are not paid shills, but we do know what works, who's best.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

I would start by going light sport to be sure flying is what I want to do.after flying light sport then I would work with a doctor on a medical for private pilot

Roger D.

I bet you can get it done, but you need to consult with an aeromedical doc who specializes in SI (Special Issuances) - that needs to be Bruce Chien, MD

We are not paid shills, but we do know what works, who's best.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

:yeahthat:

Dr. Bruce will listen to your inventory of what's happening, and if issuance is possible, will provide the guidance to achieve that. And that guidance will be spot on.

Very few AME's do this and we are lucky to have such access to one of the top in the nation who is willing to take the time to help us.

In addition to working direct with Dr. Bruce by email or phone, keep in the back of your head the possibility of going to his office in Peoria when it is time for the exam. Keeping him as the AME of record throughout your flying career can make obtaining and keeping the certificate that much easier and worth the travel expense to central Illinois.

I appreciate the feedback. I've researched the Sport Pilot route and am going to pursue that to scratch my itch. Waiting on more info from a local school that teaches the Sport Pilot curriculum. The fleet of LSA they have look pretty sweet. I believe they are FlightDesign. Anyhow, again thank you. I will keep you all updated.

I have 30 or 40 hours in the FD CTLS and that is one sweet bird. You will enjoy it! And thank you for your service. Good luck!

My advice is to PM Dr Bruce Chien and engage him to have a consult. He is most helpful in letting you know what you have to do, what meds will trip you up etc. he really knows his stuff, and, he is a great guy (has a great sense of humor).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back