Newbie Forum Member

Run-Around

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Run-Around
Hey there everyone, my name is Doug and I hail from Oil City, PA (close to Franklin, PA [FKL]). I have gleaned much knowledge from this forum over the past couple of years and now that I am getting serious about my PPL I figured it would be a good time to introduce myself.

I'm currently 21 years old but I've been wanting to fly for about 22 years now. :)

I was reading the revived "Is GA Dying" thread with some disappointment in my heart. Obviously I wish things were different (and in a closer resemblance to times of old - my grandpa learned in a Piper Cub), but they're not and I'm going to have to deal with it.

Without sounding boastful, I'm actually in a rather advantageous position because I can afford to participate (which I am, and will remain, tremendously grateful for), but I'll share some of my trepidations as a zero-time pilot:

Continued availability of 100LL.
Acronyms.
Radio communications.
Cross wind landings.
Breaking laws that I don't know exist.
Increasing amounts of bad weather (not being able to fly).

I'm sure everything will come in time. :dunno:

Glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum.all your worry's should go away as your training progresses.

Last edited:
We need new people like you to keep GA going and, for what it's worth, I think some responses in the "Is GA Dying" thread were a little dramatic. People have been saying that for a long time and GA is still here. Good luck with your training and keep us updated with your progress!

Sam

welcome. all valid trepidations as a zero time pilot. most of those will be put to rest in no time at all, except the weather. the weather sux sometimes, but you get used to that too.

Everything here is both illegal and legal and everyone will point it out.

to test this or just have some fun post a thread starting with "is it legal" or "can I love PIC if". It's like the 4th of July every time

Thank you all for the warm welcome. While I do have some worries on my mind, I'm mostly just excited! I will definitely keep everyone here on the forum up-to-date with my progress (with a ton of questions too, no doubt).

I'm sure I will gain confidence as I accumulate PIC time, but honestly I can enjoy myself immensely just along for the ride. I've flown in many types of aircraft (ultralights, PPCs, balloons, helos and airplanes) and I enjoy every minute I'm in the sky.

Last year I was flying on a 1900D commuter flight through some exceptionally rough air. While everyone else was acting as though the wings had fallen off, I was sitting in one of the far-aft seats having the time of my life. :) It's the way He made me!

to test this or just have some fun post a thread starting with "is it legal" or "can I love PIC if". It's like the 4th of July every time

Thank you for the advice, I'm sure it will come in handy!

Welcome!

First rule of PoA is ignore PoA :D

But seriously, don't let other people sway you or dissuade you or even discourage you. Some people are optimistic, others aren't. Whatever. There are instructors and airplanes and fuel available now so if you have the means and the desire, just go fly.

Dude!

but I'll share some of my trepidations as a zero-time pilot:

Continued availability of 100LL.
expect a replacement before it is gone.

Acronyms.
Fake it until you make it.'

Radio communications.
You can fly for a long time without actually needing to use a radio.

Cross wind landings.
No big deal.

Breaking laws that I don't know exist.
Chances of getting caught are slim enough...

Increasing amounts of bad weather (not being able to fly).
Comes and goes.

If you have no issues with airsickness, you have the FIRST obstacle already licked. Many folks make themselves queasy on their first flight.

Now, I found light turbulence fun, which really perplexed my flight instructor. As I fly around mountains, light turbulence is really common. I had to be reminded that an examiner or nervous passenger might not appreciate the "whee!" when catching 500 FPM of free lift.

Dude!

expect a replacement before it is gone.

Fake it until you make it.'

You can fly for a long time without actually needing to use a radio.

No big deal.

Chances of getting caught are slim enough...

Comes and goes.

Thank you for the reassurance, I'm feeling more optimistic than ever after reading some of these encouraging posts.

Welcome...

I agree with the post above. Most of your concerns will be answered during your training. So, don't stress over it just fly and enjoy what it offers...:yes::yes::yes:

Doug, welcome to POA. Its a great place to learn and make some friends. As far as your concerns, well I'd venture to say that most of us have had some or all of those concerns. I recall the first time I heard the ground and tower give instructions, it made my head spin. It will all come in due time. One day you will think, why did I ever worry about this.

I will also throw out a welcome. We do need young people in GA. I hope you stay with it. I have not been to Franklin in a while but used to love Primo Barone's Resturant at the airport.

Good luck in your training.

Welcome. The old saw, "Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing", comes to mind.

The GA industry is totally screwed up and has been my entire adult life. Didn't stop thousands from flying anyway. Macro stuff vs micro stuff. If you can afford to fly, go fly. Many tens of thousands will between now and when you're dead and gone, and won't be worrying about whatever little stuff gets in their way.

100LL: The majority of the non-business tool GA fleet will run on unleaded just fine.

Acronyms: Not sure what the problem here is. Many other professions have tons of them.

Radio communications: I can fix this one for you forever. Not kidding. Who you are, Who you're calling, Where you are, and What you want. 4 Ws. It works every single time. Key up, say those four things, and follow instructions. Done.

Cross wind landings: Wind has been blowing across runways since runways were created. It's very likely someone dumber than you figured it out sometime since Kill Devil Hills. You'll be fine. Just learn how and then fly the airplane.

Breaking laws you don't know exist: Crap happens. If no one notices but you, file a NASA report and move on. If you garner the attention of someone of authority, they'll make you say a few Hail Marys and do a rosary and send you on your way to sin no more in almost all cases. The penalty for screwing up is usually Dual Instruction to fix it and Dual means a) You have a reason to go flying and b) You'll probably learn something. Neither sound like a significant life problem to me.

Weather: Be thankful you're not a 1930s air mail pilot following light tower airways across the continent for a living. There's plenty of places the sun shines 300 days a year or more.

Everybody is welcome to love their PIC, especially if it's me! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Like anywhere else on the internet, there are plenty of folks who are not bashful about sharing their pessimism, paranoia, and general belief that the end of civilization as we know it is near.

Those folks have existed for centuries.

There will always be availability of some sort of fuel. There will always be regulations, but the average person will have to boff up real bad to run afoul in most cases.

There will always be a learning curve to learning a new skill, but those with dedication will prevail.

There will always be weather. But as time goes on, we have more and more information available in the cockpit allowing us to make better weather avoidance decisions.

Good luck and enjoy your training!

I really appreciate all of the positivity in these responses to my post, thanks everyone. I'm a person who likes to know how I'm going to do everything before I do it (which, let's be honest, will usually keep you out of trouble!), but I suppose in this case, that's what the invention of the flight instructor was intended for, so as many of you have suggested, I should quit worrying and get on with it!

I've invested in the King Schools Inc. "get-it-all" PPL training kit and I've been hitting up the books every other night or so. I'm actually not quite ready to begin instruction due to my personal schedule, but I've got my class III medical in hand and I've also met with my instructor. Will begin soon.

One of the things my instructor mentioned to me is "renter's insurance." I was under the impression that insurance would be billed into the wet rate w/ instructor, but clearly that's not the case. Any recommendations as to who I should buy from?

I will also throw out a welcome. We do need young people in GA. I hope you stay with it. I have not been to Franklin in a while but used to love Primo Barone's Resturant at the airport.

Good luck in your training.

Oh yeah, Primo's is one of my family's favorite places to grab some grub! Thanks for the wish of good luck Jim. ~ Doug

I really appreciate all of the positivity in these responses to my post, thanks everyone. I'm a person who likes to know how I'm going to do everything before I do it (which, let's be honest, will usually keep you out of trouble!), but I suppose in this case, that's what the invention of the flight instructor was intended for, so as many of you have suggested, I should quit worrying and get on with it!

I've invested in the King Schools Inc. "get-it-all" PPL training kit and I've been hitting up the books every other night or so. I'm actually not quite ready to begin instruction due to my personal schedule, but I've got my class III medical in hand and I've also met with my instructor. Will begin soon.

One of the things my instructor mentioned to me is "renter's insurance." I was under the impression that insurance would be billed into the wet rate w/ instructor, but clearly that's not the case. Any recommendations as to who I should buy from?

Regarding Renter's Insurance.

Get it. It is insurance that covers YOU, and can save you from costs of a claim. It isn't too expensive, and it covers peace of mind.

The 'Wet Rate' includes the insurance that the FBO/Owner covers to insure HIS interests, and he doesn't really care about your liability.

There are a couple of different companies that write it, check with Avemco, and AOPA's carrier, plus I am sure there are some others. The price will vary.

As you go thru life and experience more "deals" and gain more assets, you will hopefully learn to have a critical eye as to when you have your own liability insured, and when you don't.

Get it. It is insurance that covers YOU, and can save you from costs of a claim.
It isn't too expensive, and it covers peace of mind.

The 'Wet Rate' includes the insurance that the FBO/Owner covers to insure HIS interests, and he doesn't really care about your liability.

There are a couple of different companies that write it, check with Avemco, and AOPA's carrier, plus I am sure there are some others. The price will vary.

As you go thru life and experience more "deals" and gain more assets, you will hopefully learn to have a critical eye as to when you have your own liability insured, and when you don't.

Well , technically he is not the PIC until he solo's so if damage happens before then.... the CFI is responsible

Get it. It is insurance that covers YOU, and can save you from costs of a claim. It isn't too expensive, and it covers peace of mind.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

Back