New York Flying?

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
I'm having a career change which is going to let me burn a lot more avgas, but I'm most likely relocating from Chicago to Manhattan. Any recommendations for FBOs, GA-friendly airports, flying clubs (will need a cfii soon), etc.?

That is probably the least GA friendly place in the US.

Further you can go upstate the better, just depends on money.

**second thought DC is the least GA friendly, NYC area is second.

Last edited:
I'm having a career change which is going to let me burn a lot more avgas, but I'm most likely relocating from Chicago to Manhattan. Any recommendations for FBOs, GA-friendly airports, flying clubs (will need a cfii soon), etc.?

The post above mine is radically overstating things. I've flown on Long Island out of both Brookhaven( KHWV and KISP) and both have thriving GA populations. I rent so I can't help much with FBO's but I've used both Heritage Flight Academy out of KISP and Mid Island Air service out of KHWv, they also have an Islip location and both are excellent.

I've never flown out of Farmingdale( KFRG) but I know GA rules that airport. I've heard horror stories of waiting forever to take off and I know it's common to have insane amounts of traffic during a nice sunny day.

If you come to FRG go to Nassau Flyers. They have a wide range of aircraft like SR-20/22, 172 (G1000, 430, or steam gauge), Aviat Husky tailwheel, LSA, Arrow, Warriors with 430s, Mooney, and a Redbird sim that you can use for your IR. Very professional instructors and great flight school to rent from. It's a very busy airport but if you can fly out of FRG you can fly anywhere in the world. We have great controllers and lots of students so you will get the exposure needed to multi task and keep your head on a swivel looking out for traffic.

I flew out of KFRG when I lived in NYC - rented out of Ventura, nice basic PA28's, VERY good availability, and for NY decent prices too. 50 mins from Penn Station + a 10$ cab to the airport. I never felt KFRG was that crowded, I don't think I ever waited more than 45 minutes as number 11 waiting for takeoff...

Chicago to NYC eh? Enjoy the pizza upgrade.:lol:

I fly out of KMMU and did my training at Somerset (KSMQ).. Somerset has a great group of CFI's and they have a few archers, an arrow, and a Cessna for rent.. It's about 45 minutes from the city..

I like Westchester a lot. Things have changed, though, so I don't really know for sure. Poughkeepsie and Bridgeport are great. Whatever you do, get to know the guys at NEPG: http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/

Favorite $100 hamburger is as Sky Acres. Get the training and fly the Hudson corridor. First, in the daytime, then later as the sun sets and Manhattan lights up.

Get Away from the city,go out to the island or up to Connecticut ,there are plenty of opportunities to join a flying club ,or fly with some good FBOs .if you can fly in that area you re good to fly anywhere .

That is probably the least GA friendly place in the US.

Further you can go upstate the better, just depends on money.
Well, BS. The least friendly place for GA is where they plowed Meigs Field under. :mad2::mad2:

People tend to forget that more $$$ can be made in the big cities - bigger city can mean more $$$ but it sounds like you already know that.

You have 3 options; upstate, Long Island and Jersey.

I am no longer there but fly in and out a good deal. When I did commit aviation there I did it from Jersey and liked it. I now fly in and out of Westchester and recently Farmingdale.

Don't really know the ins and outs of renting or basing there now but don't rule out Jersey. A lot depends on where you will work and where you decide to live.

The Hudson River corridor is nice but a twilight flight from LI to Jersey while the lights of the big city turn on can be unforgetable. (my experience is that IFR they won't let you transition over the city but VFR is doable.) (correction; on IFR clearances you get TEC routes or whatever ATC's standard procedure is, e.g. Westchester departure to south will take you right over JFK. VFR is whatever their workload and procedures will allow. NY Controllers are great and can be fun)

Last edited:
**second thought DC is the least GA friendly, NYC area is second.

Have you flown in the DC area? There are a few hoops to jump through, but I'm based inside the FRZ, and the extra phone call or two makes up for flying at an airport 15 minutes from the city, paying $3.75/gal for avgas at a very friendly GA airport (VKX).

Within 30 miles of DCA there are 12 dedicated GA airports, and plenty more just outside the SFRA. We also have a very cooperative TRACON that makes getting in and out of the area a breeze.

Hardly GA unfriendly.

As for NYC, the biggest issue with GA up that way is getting in and out of the five boroughs. If you live in the city and don't have a car, getting to the airport is either time consuming or expensive (or both). Otherwise, I find N90 controllers to be accommodating and professional, even as they deal with lots of traffic. As for the airports, there are options but the most convenient ones come with NY sized prices.

Yup, got my authorization to fly in the SFRA and FRZ and all that too.

I'll take Seattle, LA, basically any other busy airspace over the NYC craziness and DC security dog and pony "security" show.

Thing is shy if IFR I really don't want to HAVE to talk to anyone.

Yeah you make more money living there, but when compared to the cost of living, do you really live better?

If it were me I'd be as far away from that city as I could get.

Yup, got my authorization to fly in the SFRA and FRZ and all that too.

I'll take Seattle, LA, basically any other busy airspace over the NYC craziness and DC security dog and pony "security" show.

Thing is shy if IFR I really don't want to HAVE to talk to anyone.

Yeah you make more money living there, but when compared to the cost of living, do you really live better?

If it were me I'd be as far away from that city as I could get.
NY isn't bad. Controllers are always helpful. I've never been denied a VFR transition and IFR is just as easy. File the TEC route and that's what you'll get cleared for. Yes it does get busy at FRG anytime its the weekend and it's above 50 degrees but it makes you a better pilot.

Currently fly out of FRG. Got my PPL at TEB (back when there were flight schools there). Soloed at MMU, and have been into most of the GA airports in the tristate area. Yes, busy area (and occasional ground delays) but I'm weird, I kinda enjoy all the action. Yes the controllers are great!

Last edited:
I fliew into FRG a few times and it seemed like an awesome GA airport. Amazing mix of aircraft at FRG. Day I was there I saw arriving / departing a 737, Learjet, WW II fighter (from the on-field aviation museum), a bunch of choppers and obviously a slew of Cessnas and Pipers.

Sure I suppose it can be nice flying into a sleepy uncontrolled field with 20 departures a day, but also kind of gets boring.

I fly with the 150th Aero Flying Club out of MMU and it is one of the best bargains in the area. There are some other clubs as well in NJ - Paramus Flying Club has planes based at CDW and LDJ (just four miles south of EWR directly under the arrival route for RW 04R!) Good train service in & out of Penn Station or Hoboken as well to get to the NJ side of the Hudson.

The post above mine is radically overstating things. I've flown on Long Island out of both Brookhaven( KHWV and KISP) and both have thriving GA populations. I rent so I can't help much with FBO's but I've used both Heritage Flight Academy out of KISP and Mid Island Air service out of KHWv, they also have an Islip location and both are excellent.

I've never flown out of Farmingdale( KFRG) but I know GA rules that airport. I've heard horror stories of waiting forever to take off and I know it's common to have insane amounts of traffic during a nice sunny day.

First and so far last time trying to get out of FRG on a Saturday afternoon it took 45 min from Atlantic to wheels up.

!$#^^@ tower wouldn't stop student T&Gs and or extend downwinds/ 360's to let some of us take off.

First and so far last time trying to get out of FRG on a Saturday afternoon it took 45 min from Atlantic to wheels up.

!$#^^@ tower wouldn't stop student T&Gs and or extend downwinds/ 360's to let some of us take off.

Not a fan of more rules and regulations, but I do wish the tower at FRG would put a squash on t & g when it's starting to get out of control.

Not a fan of more rules and regulations, but I do wish the tower at FRG would put a squash on t & g when it's starting to get out of control.

Indeed. "Follow the Cherokee, you're number 9" Quite ironically MacArthur just next door is much less busy despite being class C.

Lots of student training at FRG though so at least the solo touch and goes will hangs out there.

Last edited:

I was flying today also. It was a zoo around 9-10am. Planes coming out of Atlantic. Planes going in. 8 planes on each side of the approach end of runway 1. Controllers handled is really well as usual.

Indeed. "Follow the Cherokee, you're number 9" Quite ironically MacArthur just next door is much less busy despite being class C.

Lots of student training at FRG though so at least the solo touch and goes will hangs out there.

I will usually utilize BDR, ISP, FOK for t&g. Plus it's good for the students to learn different airports in the area.

I will usually utilize BDR, ISP, FOK for t&g. Plus it's good for the students to learn different airports in the area.

Exactly. I don't recall ever doing T&Gs at TEB when I took lessons there in the 90's. Not even sure if they were allowed, due to the overwhelming amount of jet traffic. That's probably why he had me solo at MMU.

The CFIs would show us how to navigate to MMU and CDW without busting the overlying Bravo! It was like threading a needle,lol. That was great for learning the area. No GPS :lol:

Last edited:
The NY Metro area is huge & populous. To some extent your home airport of choice will be related to your home. If you're on the West Side of Manhattan, a NJ field will be easier, East Side Long Island. I flew an SR 20 out of FRG yesterday (and +1 to Jordan, Nassau Flyers are top notch) but it took longer to drive across Manhattan (-'crosstown') than it did to depart FRG!
OP; feel free to PM me. Welcome to the greatest city in the world*, GA here is as busy and rewarding as everything else in Big Apple..
*it's true, ask anyone..

BDR is the airport to go to. There are never more than 2 planes in the pattern and their fuel is a cheaper than FRG.

I'm training at FRG and made the personal decision to only do weekdays after work. The weekends are, as you say, a zoo. We flew over to ISP to do T&Gs because you just pay a flat fee, not a per-landing fee like at FRG ($2.50 each landing, which adds up). And ISP has a set of parallel runways, one of which (15L/33R) is much shorter with fewer markings, so it's almost like flying to a smaller airport if you do a few landings there.

And the downwind for 29 at night is great! :D
BDR is great at anytime. A few weeks ago they got busy (3 airplanes in the pattern) and a Mooeny cut off another plane in the pattern. The controller was pretty mad and had him depart the airspace.

Not sure if you have landed a place to fly but the best bang for the buck around is Richmond pilots.
99$ hour tach wet
65 bucks a month fixed.
Buy in is around 3k.
Good club too. Nice group of balanced guys
Train from NYC close by.
Very easy to navigate under around through NY bravo.
Good luck.

Back