New Year Aviation Goals, 2009

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
There was a thread a few days ago discussing if we met our "08" aviation goals.

I plan on attending SnF & OSH.
Finish my RV-12 build and fly it.
Fly at least 150 hours.
Introduce people to aviation.

What goals do you have for 2009?

Last edited:
1) Get my CFI-SP.
2) Get my IGI.
3) Attend Oshkosh, even if I don't fly into OSH itself.
4) Fly in to Gaston's.
5) Fly in to 6Y9.
6) Have over 200 hours on the airplane by annual time (due the end of June).

1) Fly as much as I can

2) Not die in a fiery plane crash that will be picked apart by PoA members

I try to just keep it simple.

I am targeting some glider flight come the spring.

I resolve to make no goals. I'm all about minimizing disappointments these days. I'll probably go to SnF however.

I would not be surprised if I log 0 hours.

1. Finish BFR if not completed by 12/31/2008.
2. Get on waiting list for flying club ownership
3. Stop letting work trump flying! Balance, balance, balance!
4. Free up available payload for 5 more gallons of avgas (Weight Watchers continued)
Edit -
5. Get seaplane rating so my avatar is closer to truth

Last edited:
As always, I hope to get back into flying this upcoming year.

We'll see what happens!

My goal is always similar to this. I don't want to end up on the front page of a newspaper... or any page for that matter. So far I have succeeded in that.

My goal is always similar to this. I don't want to end up on the front page of a newspaper... or any page for that matter. So far I have succeeded in that.

On the contrary, if I am put into a situation where there is absolutely NO hope of surviving (although I'm not sure WHAT that would be), my plan is to make the biggest hole in the ground you've ever seen. Blaze of glory and all that stuff... Then I'll be sitting up on my little cloud playing my harp watching you folks here talk about how poor of a pilot I was for making such a big hole in the ground. But a few of you will know the truth and get a little grin on your face. ;)

Schedule and complete the IR Check Ride
Fly at least 100 hours this year (114 in 08)
Knock out the remaining east coast states and venture west/south west

On the contrary, if I am put into a situation where there is absolutely NO hope of surviving (although I'm not sure WHAT that would be), my plan is to make the biggest hole in the ground you've ever seen. Blaze of glory and all that stuff... Then I'll be sitting up on my little cloud playing my harp watching you folks here talk about how poor of a pilot I was for making such a big hole in the ground. But a few of you will know the truth and get a little grin on your face. ;)

So this is what you'll do if you go blind and both wings and the tail fall off? ;)

I'm with Scott and Mari. I'd rather just not get in any plane wrecks.

As to 2009 goals, they started getting posted in the other thread, but I'll repost here, slightly modified:

1) Buy/take delivery on my plane
2) Get CP-AMEL
3) Get CP-ASEL
4) Get CFI
5) Get CFII
6) Get MEI
7) Fly plane mentioned in 1) to West Fly-In, Gaston's, Wings, 6Y9
8) Continue working with Animal Rescue Flights (and hopefully get others to participate)
9) Get started working with Angel Flight

As with last year, I have more goals than I am likely to achieve, but I like to aim high and go from there. I don't really consider not achieving some of my goals as a failure, more just reality keeping me in check since I aim higher than I expect to reach. If I complete 50% of my stated goals, I'll be happy. :)

Goals for 2009,... Hmm,.. want to get over 100 TT and enjoy the travels it brings.

Fly something different,.. like Cub, or Biplane, even if it's just a ride with some stick time.

Get my 4 year old daughter's in the plane for their first flights!

If I can get into a partnership or club, venture to some other places to expand my 89 nm circle so far..... :rolleyes:

Attend for the duration of the day, the Wings Fly-B-Que :D

Rob, I should be able to help you with the first one. ;)

I can't claim that. I can't even claim that about me and my airplane.

1) Wrap up IR
2) Obtain ASES (gift from wife!)
3) Fly into OSH during AirVenture, not just before or after
4) Fly at least 75 hours

• Spend a dozen or so hours in the air with a CFII to resuscitate my instrument skills and be signed off on a IPC
  • Finish my commercial certificate
  • ASES if I have any money or time left over from the other two.
With my spending so much of my time in Minden it seems ridiculous not to get some glider time in, but then again I might save that for a fun thing to do later in life.

Other than that Scott's goals seem worthy enough.

smigaldi said:
1) Fly as much as I can

*Make it to Oshkosh, finally
*Make it back from Oshkosh with money left over
*New brake lines in the plane

1. Get off the rat poison (warfarin) so I don't have to get that SI. Should happen in February.

2. Get an SI for prostate cancer (in remission). Do this Q1.

3. Get back in the air and finish my IR! When's my CFII getting back from the sandbox again?

And, like Scott, avoid putting myself in a position that makes the front page of the paper and has you all talking about what I did wrong.

Fly safe all!

1. Instrument rating
2. Enough hours in the Lance that the insurance guys cut me a break

1. Fly a lot, have fun, and not screw up
2. Glider solo and PP-G checkride (very do-able)
3. CP-Glider (maybe)
4. CFI-Glider (very unlikely, but why dream small?)
5. Get my own powered aircraft, or find a good partnership
6. Go on at least one epic X-C as acting PIC

1. Have my business buck the trend in the current economy and continue to produce enough income so that I may:

A. Join the local club (current inventory is a C172 XP with 210hp, and a T182)
B. Fly enough each month to not only maintain currency, but to maintain proficency
C. Fly at least two cross countries with a purpose. Maybe even fly to 6Y9 (850nm). The 6Y9 flight might be a bit tough to pull off with only a VFR ticket, but you never know....
E. Get some tailwheel time (maybe even get the endorsement)
F. Get a little time in a DA20 cause they look cool and I would like to fly something with a stick vs. yoke to see the difference.

There was a guy in my ground school class that said that, if he's ever in an imminent crash and he knows there's nothing he can do and no way he can survive, the last thing he's going to do is drop his pants, turn around, and sit on the yoke. "At least it'll give the NTSB a challenge and something to investigate."

As far as my goals...
Make Captain in some plane or another.
Fly more than 10 hours outside of work.
Fly with Tony again (and not lose and engine or get sick this time, though I maintain that anyone would have gotten a little nauseous in the back of a Blanik after 3 hrs of thermaling under the hot sun).
Get to at least one POA fly-in event.
Hopefully fly to said POA fly-in event.
Get to Airventure again (already have the vacation time booked!!!)
Get the wife to come to Airventure with me (yaaa, we'll see about that).
Help the wife get over (or at least reduce) her fear of flying.
Buy my wife lots of nice shoes (she's sitting here watching me type).

My goals are simple. Make 500 hours PIC (about 75 to go). Add IR and comm. Fly at least 10 Young Eagles. Introduce someone, anyone to small plane flying. Oshkosh by train, plane or auto.

Add an MEI
Add a Glider rating
Fly a thousand hours
Win the Megamillion

There was a guy in my ground school class that said that, if he's ever in an imminent crash and he knows there's nothing he can do and no way he can survive, the last thing he's going to do is drop his pants, turn around, and sit on the yoke. "At least it'll give the NTSB a challenge and something to investigate."

I like that philosophy! I might adjust the execution a bit, though. ha!

Get to Airventure again (already have the vacation time booked!!!)
Get the wife to come to Airventure with me (yaaa, we'll see about that).
Help the wife get over (or at least reduce) her fear of flying.
Buy my wife lots of nice shoes (she's sitting here watching me type).

If you can get her there, she can hang out with my wife and they can roll their eyes together about how much we can sit around and talk about nothing but airplanes for so long. Rachel already has it figured out, and expects it, when we go to fly-ins, so maybe she can share some tips on how to get through it to a newbie. ;)

And if that doesn't work, we'll put them on the bus to the outlet mall. :)

That's FUNNY!!!!!

ive flown gliders with Teller. it only took us about 2 hrs to climb 2000 feet. what can i say, it was a weak day. i had a blast, but it was time to land.

1) Finally take up some passengers! (I got my PPL in November and the weather here's been uncooperative ever since.)
2) Get the instrument rating
3) Take a glider flight (and maybe pursue a glider add-on)

Why not save the ASES for when you have one of the Comm's done, and get Comm-ASES too? :dunno:

'Good idea! I'm working on the ASEL and AMEL commercials simultaneously this winter and doing the ASES in Minnesota (friend has a 108-2 w/O470 conversion on floats at 8Y4) once the ice is out. Thanks for the suggestion.

'Good idea! I'm working on the ASEL and AMEL commercials simultaneously this winter and doing the ASES in Minnesota (friend has a 108-2 w/O470 conversion on floats at 8Y4) once the ice is out. Thanks for the suggestion.

108-2, as in Stinson? With an O-470? Wow, that sounds like a high fun factor. Kewl! :yes:

108-2, as in Stinson? With an O-470? Wow, that sounds like a high fun factor. Kewl! :yes:

Yep. Its a PDX Super Stinson conversion. I'm thinking about doing one myself. Super Stinson Modifications, LLC has acquired the original STC and sells the components needed to make the changeover.

1) Finish up Masters in Aeronautical Science from Embry Riddle. Just need to do my Graduate Capstone project
2) Fly at least 175 hrs for the year. My stretch goal is 201.3 hrs – that would take me past 1000 hrs total time
3) Fly long solo cross country for Commercial
4) Take Commercial written
5) Finish up Commercial training and take checkride

Ok mine are fairly simple:
1. Get PPL (Fairly good chance of that happening I think.)
2. Fly as much as the wife and the money will let me after #1 is done.
3. Find some sort of job in aviation.

Back