New Windshield - appears to be a defect

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Never seen a distortion like that. Looks like it has a texture to it. However, since your partner accepted the aircraft and flew it home you lost the upper the hand. What did your partner say when you showed it to him? Or was he aware of it but still accepted the aircraft? Regardless I think the shop owes you an explanation on why it was installed with a defect and when they knew about it.

There are some videos on YouTube of how these windshields are made. The entire piece of plastic gets heated and molded around a plug. The area of concern in the OP is an area where it would have to get stretched and conformed the most. It looks like a wrinkle was left. This would strike me as a manufacturing defect and not an installation error.

I realize most of the posters here are flawless mechanics. I have no trouble imagining these defects being hard to pick up on prior to the windshield and being installed. If I was installing it, I would not remove any protective film until absolutely necessary.

Did you purchase this windshield on your own and ask the shop to install it? If so, I think this is between you and the manufacture.

More I look at my windshield which was replaced by my AP before I owned the plane it has almost as bad distortion on the FO side and a little on the left side. I never noticed before your thread.
Mine doesn’t bother me or effect traffic avoidances in my 172.
I know you are concerned about safety and longevity and I think you will be alright.
Hopefully your pictures are up close and they are not as bad as it looks to us?

Update: Sadly, this will go nowhere. The shop shrugs it off like they did no wrong. The manufacturer hasn't even responded to concerns in over a week.

Lesson learned unfortunately. The funny thing is that molding defect up high by the vent doesn't bother me as much as the left curve which is like looking through gently rippling water. Sure, you can see, but it's not even remotely clear. The right side is not nearly as bad but does have a little bit of that issue. The last windshield from the 90s had nothing like that in any part of the window.

Installer did say that they've had some recent instances of receiving the wrong windshields but not ones with issues like this. This shop isn't our regular A&P, so we're done with them. I find it impossible that they didn't see that defect line at any point during the installation. I saw it within 10 seconds.

There are some videos on YouTube of how these windshields are made. The entire piece of plastic gets heated and molded around a plug. The area of concern in the OP is an area where it would have to get stretched and conformed the most. It looks like a wrinkle was left. This would strike me as a manufacturing defect and not an installation error.

I realize most of the posters here are flawless mechanics. I have no trouble imagining these defects being hard to pick up on prior to the windshield and being installed. If I was installing it, I would not remove any protective film until absolutely necessary.

Did you purchase this windshield on your own and ask the shop to install it? If so, I think this is between you and the manufacture.

Shop purchased the windshield. They received it. We never saw it until it was installed.

Never seen a distortion like that. Looks like it has a texture to it. However, since your partner accepted the aircraft and flew it home you lost the upper the hand. What did your partner say when you showed it to him? Or was he aware of it but still accepted the aircraft? Regardless I think the shop owes you an explanation on why it was installed with a defect and when they knew about it.
I know. Hard lesson learned. Need to thoroughly inspect things like this before we fly away. He just didn't notice it.

Ask a FSDO guy to look at it and provide an interpretation. If you have a reduction of visual acuity due to a PMA parts quality issue? You may have an easier time getting action to repair it.

Back