New Windshield - appears to be a defect

50kttailwind

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
50kttailwind
Just got a new windshield installed in a 182. I finally had a chance to see it, since my partner flew it home when it was done. I noticed what looks like a defect in the windshield right near the pilot's overhead air vent. Can anyone shed some light on this? It looks like an obvious defect in fabrication, and it blows my mind that the shop would just install this. I fear premature breakage, since the material looks thinner in this damaged area. I can also run my finger along it on the inside of the plane and feel the roughness of this line. The copilot side is nice and smooth like it should be.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

Aside from the linear defect, is there lint on the windshield? or is it already crazing?

You have a problem. The AP should have inspected the windscreen prior to installation.

I’d reach out to the mfgr to see what they say. It’s not something you caused.

If it bother's you that much just buy a new one, every time you look at it you are never going to get over it.

Just got a new windshield installed in a 182. I finally had a chance to see it, since my partner flew it home when it was done. I noticed what looks like a defect in the windshield right near the pilot's overhead air vent. Can anyone shed some light on this? It looks like an obvious defect in fabrication, and it blows my mind that the shop would just install this. I fear premature breakage, since the material looks thinner in this damaged area. I can also run my finger along it on the inside of the plane and feel the roughness of this line. The copilot side is nice and smooth like it should be.

View attachment 120163

View attachment 120164
Yea that is kinda of a bummer, but really where it's located is it really gonna matter?
Pretty sure I don't use that part of the windscreen? For the cost of labor, shipping and making the shop not want to deal with you again, I would let it slide.

Last edited:
OT a little. I am getting ready to polish my windscreen. I bought a polish kit a couple years ago and now it is time to give it a try.
Mine is wearing from reusing(washing) microfiber towels. And I think the cheap towels scratch it even when they are brand new?
I have been flying a lot so lot's of bug removal especially during the hot summer nights and I typically fly it down low.

You never use paper towels.
You never use new towels without washing first.
Clean microfiber good.
Clean baby diapers good.
Lots of plain water and your hand is best for cleaning, then baby diapers to dry.

Do a tiny corner test.

Bro yeah, that’s a bummer. Too bad you already accepted the item. Manufacturer may say it was an installation error, but might as well start a convo. ttyl

Clean microfiber good.
Clean baby diapers good.
Lots of plain water and your hand is best for cleaning, then baby diapers to dry.

Do a tiny corner test.
I learned not to use paper towels from the flight school.
My very experienced friend does it the same way. Mostly uses water and his hand to remove bugs and then a diaper to dry it.
I am too lazy(don't take the time) and fly my plane lot's more than he does. I use Dam from McFarlane and used to use new soft microfiber towels from Spruce with great results. Then I slipped up and started to use cheaper microfiber towels from the hardware store and screwed up my windscreen.
I also read not to use heat when drying microfiber towels?

Clean microfiber good.
Clean baby diapers good.

Do a tiny corner test.

Adult diapers don’t work good?

Paper towels have served me well for 30 years of parking outdoors on dirt strips.

Yea that is kinda of a bummer, but really where it's located is it really gonna matter?
Pretty sure I don't use that part of the windscreen? For the cost of labor, shipping and making the shop not want to deal with you again, I would let it slide.

Yeah as long as it isn't a weakened point on the window that may crack early, then I agree it's not worth the $$ and effort.

This is a big one. The heat melts the tips of the microfibers making them hard and sharp.
This is such an old wives tail. Total nonsense. Microfiber towels are made of polyester. Polyester melts at over 400F. Your dryer, on HIGH, gets to about 130F. It not even close to being hot enough to be an issue. There is almost a 300F difference between your dryer temperature and the heat necessary to melt the polyester.

Much easier to believe would be that the towels were contaminated with some grit from other things washed at the same time, which is why it's a good idea to wash your microfibers alone and do a QA check when you fold them after washing and drying. Also don't throw them on the floor or ground when your done with them. The same thing that makes them good at cleaning, makes them good at picking up grit from the garage floor or seeds/twigs/thorns from the ground.

^^^^^ As above....and don't use fabric softener in the wash or dryer sheets in the dryer. If you do it will leave a hazing/streaking on windows.

^^^^^ As above....and don't use fabric softener in the wash or dryer sheets in the dryer. If you do it will leave a hazing/streaking on windows.
Yeah, and even if it doesn't cause that, it makes the microfibers far less effective at absorbing fluid. In some cases you can actually get water to bead on microfiber that has been treated with dryer sheets. Which is kind of the exact opposite of what you're looking for!

From now on I am throwing my dirty microfiber rags away. After cleaning my windscreen I'll probably use them to wipe the glaze and bugs off my leading edges of my wings once and then to check my oil a couple times then in the trash they are going.
They are not worth washing since they are so cheap, imo. Like said you wash them and stuff is still stuck in them unlike my old fashioned cotton towels.
From 5' away my windscreen looks great but look closely I can see fine scratches from the cheap dirty towels even after washing.
Maybe plain old cotton towels are best? Like diapers. Where do you buy diapers? Lol
I am going to use this stuff soon and will report back how it works.

IMG_3235.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 120163

View attachment 120164
Were you able to talk with the manufacture of the windscreen about the defect? Curious if it is a safety concern?
I would be like you, WTH. Why didn't the installer/AP confer with you, the customer first before installing it?
I was flying last night thinking about you and yea I do look through that part of the windscreen when looking for traffic. Sorry about the hassle you are dealt. Good luck with it.

This is such an old wives tail. Total nonsense. Microfiber towels are made of polyester. Polyester melts at over 400F. Your dryer, on HIGH, gets to about 130F. It not even close to being hot enough to be an issue. There is almost a 300F difference between your dryer temperature and the heat necessary to melt the polyester.

Much easier to believe would be that the towels were contaminated with some grit from other things washed at the same time, which is why it's a good idea to wash your microfibers alone and do a QA check when you fold them after washing and drying. Also don't throw them on the floor or ground when your done with them. The same thing that makes them good at cleaning, makes them good at picking up grit from the garage floor or seeds/twigs/thorns from the ground.
Good to know. Thanks

I think I am going to go to the use and toss method. Below the noise floor in the cost of owning and operating.

The things that matter when washing microfiber. No fabric softener or dryer sheets. Don't wash with anything else, particularly cotton. The fibers in the cotton shed and get all tangled up with the MF and kill most of it's unique properties

I wonder what's worse, washing them and putting more plastic into the water, or tossing them into the landfill... probably better to just burn them. :idea:

Was this a manufacturing defect or a result of heating to make the windshield fit? It looks like local softening from heating and reforming the material. Probably just cosmetic, not structural. You could look for excessive stress concentration by using two polarizers (two pair of sunglasses would work.) If it's just cosmetic, it would bug me but probably not worth a complete redo unless someone is paying 100% for replacement and labor.

Were you able to talk with the manufacture of the windscreen about the defect? Curious if it is a safety concern?
I would be like you, WTH. Why didn't the installer/AP confer with you, the customer first before installing it?
I was flying last night thinking about you and yea I do look through that part of the windscreen when looking for traffic. Sorry about the hassle you are dealt. Good luck with it.

Was this a manufacturing defect or a result of heating to make the windshield fit? It looks like local softening from heating and reforming the material. Probably just cosmetic, not structural. You could look for excessive stress concentration by using two polarizers (two pair of sunglasses would work.) If it's just cosmetic, it would bug me but probably not worth a complete redo unless someone is paying 100% for replacement and labor.

Sending in pics and waiting for feedback. Honestly, I don't expect much. It's already installed. I'm not really excited about the fact of having to pay labor to replace it, even if the window was not molded correctly. The manufacturer would have to provide a new windshield and cover labor. You know they won't do that.

It's an LP Aero windshield. Honestly, I'm extremely frustrated. In addition to the line up near the vent, the entire left side of the windshield (as it curves) has very funky distortion. It's not the typical plastic distortion. It's worse. It's wavy and uneven, like the thermal effect that comes off a hot cowl or asphalt in the sun. There's also a nickel sized area on the right size of the window that has a funky warped looking distortion in it. The last windshield we had looked 100x better outside of the small crack it developed near the defrost. 30 years of use, and it was still crystal clear everywhere.

I’d notify the mfgr of the additional defects, too. Your maintenance shop needs to be notified as well. You’re not out of line to expect them to refuse to install defective parts. Seek a suitable compromise and get it replaced.

Maybe the lesson here is for owners to let the maintenance shop acquire the parts.

Sending in pics and waiting for feedback. Honestly, I don't expect much. It's already installed. I'm not really excited about the fact of having to pay labor to replace it, even if the window was not molded correctly. The manufacturer would have to provide a new windshield and cover labor. You know they won't do that.

It's an LP Aero windshield. Honestly, I'm extremely frustrated. In addition to the line up near the vent, the entire left side of the windshield (as it curves) has very funky distortion. It's not the typical plastic distortion. It's worse. It's wavy and uneven, like the thermal effect that comes off a hot cowl or asphalt in the sun. There's also a nickel sized area on the right size of the window that has a funky warped looking distortion in it. The last windshield we had looked 100x better outside of the small crack it developed near the defrost. 30 years of use, and it was still crystal clear everywhere.
If there was that much in the way of casting defects, I would be baffled how it got installed. I would have expected (if I didn't do it myself) a cursory inspection of the windshield for quality before it went on the plane.

Plastic parts of that sort usually ship with peel paper on them, and it is not removed until the install is complete.

The mechanic may not have seen the defect until he completed his install.

The flat plexiglass that I installed in the storm doors had scratch protection, and I did not peel until done.

Last edited:
Plastic parts of that sort usually ship with peel paper on them, and it is not removed until the install is complete.

The mechanic may not have seen the defect until he completed his install.

The flat plexiglass that I installed in the storm doors had scratch protection, and I did not peel until done.
I've helped install two windshields (an AA-1A and an AA-5), and the paper came off both sides in order to get the edges drilled and sealed to the aircraft. If you are worried about damage during installation, you can always tape paper to the center of the windshield, leaving the edges free to attach to the aircraft. I can't imagine installing it without inspection.

Shop screwed up. Either they installed a defect part or they did the damage during the install. If they installed with the protective paper, they should have called you and discussed the defects as soon as they saw.

LP Aero may have screwed up by sending a defective windshield.

Lots of fingers to point.

Any deformed part of the windscreen is a hindrance to traffic avoidance. For me, I would consider this a serious safety issue that would result in a small claims court law suit if not corrected or replaced. There would be no discussion about it.

"Fix it, replace it, or we'll let the judge force you to do it." There are no other options.

Back