New version of WingX for Android

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Not well documented on their website but email says version 3 is out for Android if you’re tinkering with trying to be rid of the Apple ecosystem. Or just a tinkerer in general.

http://hiltonsoftware.co/

I’ll copy some of the text below. Free for CFIs and Military. Android 5 and above.

——-

WingX for Android Version 3 Available Now!

Hello WingX Users!

We would like to announce that WingX for Android Version 3 is availablenow! We are excited to read your feedback including your success stories and constructive suggestions. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Upgrading to WingX for Android Version 3 (Please read)
WingX for Android Version 3 is a free upgrade for all users.
WingX for Android Version 3 uses a completely new and improved Moving Map which requires new Moving Map files such as the VFR Sectionals, IFR Low/High Enroutes etc. Therefore, do not update WingX immediately prior to a flight (turn off Auto Updates on the Google Play Store temporarily if required). After installing WingX for Android Version 3, you will need to download the moving map files.
We strongly recommend that you upgrade to WingX for Android Version 3 within the next two weeks to ensure uninterrupted service.

The primary features released with WingX for Android Version 3 include:

Visual Region Selection – enables users to download specific chart types and regions on the Moving Map.
Raster Overlays for the Moving Map – users can now overlay Terminal Area Charts (TACs), Helicopter Routes, US Gulf Coast VFR Charts, Grand Canyon VFR Charts and VFR Flyway Planning Charts on the Moving Map.
Route Planning enhancements – increased overall ease of use and provides specific point and route summary information.
Overhauled Bluetooth connection for ease of use and greater stability.
External Hardware – new hardware specific information for connected ADS-B Receivers.
Improved data cycle handling including dual cycle downloading.
App and server enhancements for faster delivery of cycle data.
Bug fixes and improvements to overall app stability.

Thank you all for your continued support!

The WingX Team

I'll be looking at it today to see if there is finally a real WingX for Android.

Might be Ok for VFR, but still severely crippled IMO. Definitely runs better and smother (the best screen refreshes I've seen in Android EFBs) but one doesn't have to go far into the menus to find substantial feature and functionality differences. iOS on left; Android on right). Sadly, doesn't even qualify as my backup app.
WingXiOS-Android.jpg
WingXiOS-Android2.jpg

Personally for an app as important as EFB I certainly wouldn’t want to sacrifice the stability of the iOS. That’s just me.

Personally for an app as important as EFB I certainly wouldn’t want to sacrifice the stability of the iOS. That’s just me.
I have both an iPad Mini and a comparatively cheap Galaxy Tab A. Between them I've run about a dozen EFB apps. My primary EFB is ForeFlight and my backup is iFly GPS (which runs on both). Been using ForeFlight over 8 years. The tablet backup about 3 give or take.

I haven't found any material difference in stability between my iOS and my Android EFBs. What have you seen in your experience with both platforms to form the basis of your opinion?

Stability of an iOS app is useless if the platform (ipad etc) shuts down due to overheating so easily,when an Android device doesn't.

Might be Ok for VFR, but still severely crippled IMO. Definitely runs better and smother (the best screen refreshes I've seen in Android EFBs) but one doesn't have to go far into the menus to find substantial feature and functionality differences. iOS on left; Android on right). Sadly, doesn't even qualify as my backup app.

Curious on the “crippled” comment - what’s missing ?

Stability of an iOS app is useless if the platform (ipad etc) shuts down due to overheating so easily,when an Android device doesn't.

Indeed, and as opposed to these heavily underutilized GA IFR environment, I've actually been forced to currently operate sanctioned iCrap in USAF aircraft with "bubble" canopies, and have had multiple instances of these things shutting down and overheating, both for myself and my student. We are told to carry two; I carry paper instead in lieu of the second one. Otherwise we have to no kidding do the hellen keller with whichever iCrap hasn't shut down, which is just such a neat party trick to be doing while shooting an approach in a category E aircraft. The stated reason behind the icrap is specifically the official sanctioning of foreflight, which I have a fundamental problem with as a matter of policy. We shouldn't be favoring vendors like that due to common civilian popularity, but I digress.

The environmentals of a century fighter series cockpit have really illustrated to me the outright consumer grade nature to these toys. To be fair to them, I have found my android tablet resilient enough in the GA cockpit; enough that it performed very well in the mid summer Texas heat in a cramped Seminole and a 2.5 hour long checkride. I suppose I'm willing to give even the iCrap the benefit of the doubt in said latter environment, even though I've heard enough anecdotes to come to the conclusion their performance there would be sub-par for a primary EFB solution.

You can start with those photos of the menu choices. Things available in the iOS version nonexistent in the Android one. I don't mean crippled as in not working, but as in nonexistent when comparing apples with apples.

Been using iPad and Foreflight since 2011 and have never had an overheat, even inTexas Summer. It’s a simple matter of not leaving it in direct sunlight.

You can start with those photos of the menu choices. Things available in the iOS version nonexistent in the Android one. I don't mean crippled as in not working, but as in nonexistent when comparing apples with apples.

Finally got my hands on an Android tablet and I see what you mean, you labeled your examples in reverse which threw me for a second.

No adjustment split screen, no Traca, no simulator, no documents, no SV or AHRS display..... you get the idea..... only played with it for 5 mins, as an emergency backup it would do in place of nothing else.

I sent some notes to my cuz and he will add the limitations to his user guide.

Back