New utility trailer - some feedback please

That's one thing I've really enjoyed since I started flying... pilots are on average more intelligent and goal driven. The ppl sets a bar which not particularly high, at least weeds out the mouth breathers. This makes interacting with pilots much more enjoyable than the other hobbies I've been involved in.

I think you give us too much credit.

I see a lot of concern about protecting the top side of the trailer wood. What about the underside which is exposed to everything found on roadways?

Cheers,
Grog

Not too concerned about the underside of the wood. Out of sight and all that!

I just mounted a nice toolbox I found at my local Northern Tool:

51328042943_45f7a2eb44_z.jpg

My e-track rails are arriving today. I face a choice. Using substantial lag bolts to secure them to the wood would be fairly quick and easy and seems like it would be strong enough. Running bolts through crossmembers would be ideal, but kind of a PITA needing someone to crawl under the trailer to hold the nuts while tightening the bolts.

Thoughts?

Running bolts through crossmembers would be ideal, but kind of a PITA needing someone to crawl under the trailer to hold the nuts while tightening the bolts.

Thoughts?

Have them seal the underside of the wood while they're down there? :)

Are you available?

Wish I could help, but my long list of unpleasant home projects precludes me from traveling to take on more.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to replace a big slab of exterior molding in an unavailable 110-year-old pattern. It was torn off the house and shredded when an overheight truck snagged the overhead phone line that was secured to it.

Or tip the trailer on its side - presto! Access to top and bottom at the same time.

Use smooth headed bolts (like carriage bolts) and nylon lock nuts. Lag screws will eventually work their way loose and shred the wood at the same time.

My "thought" is that the rot will also be "Out of sight and all that!". Of course, an annual crawl beneath the trailer should be good enough to detect the presence of any significant deterioration of the wood from underneath.

Nice looking trailer, by the way, and that Northern Tool toolbox looks like a perfect fit.

I agree with Sooner Aviator that the lag bolts could become loose over time. The more often the rails are used, the sooner the lags will work loose; however, if the spacing of the lags is close, it may take many years for them to loosen up, and not be a big deal. What is the spacing of the fasteners? Try to get the length of the lag fasteners such that they don't pierce bottom surfaces of the wood planks.

I'm just full of free advice (and other stuff) that's worth exactly what I charge for it.

Cheers,
Grog

I'm currently trying to figure out how to replace a big slab of exterior molding in an unavailable 110-year-old pattern. It was torn off the house and shredded when an overheight truck snagged the overhead phone line that was secured to it.

3D printer and a pallet worth of filament.

I just mounted a nice toolbox I found at my local Northern Tool:

51328042943_45f7a2eb44_z.jpg

fwiw - that is VERY nice...

Want, yes...but my current shop is so small everything has to be on casters as it is; only room for one machine operational at a time.

Pricing for those custom knives isn't bad, though. I'd mostly been looking at custom molding shops, but was seeing prices on the order of $600 minimum. I need 4' of molding. So I'm trying to build it up from smaller pieces I can kinda approximate with my router table.

It's a whirling tablesawblade replacement of death! It cuts those molding profiles you see around the periphery of the case into anything that gets near the blade.

It's a whirling tablesawblade replacement of death! It cuts those molding profiles you see around the periphery of the case into anything that gets near the blade.
Oh, no. Tablesaw molding heads are for wimps.

It's not a true maim and death tool until it's fully exposed and mounted on the wobbly arm of a Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think I have one of those... and never had the nerve to use it...

Got the e-Track delivered and installed…

51331421547_637d52e8d9_z.jpg

A friend of mine here at my airport works with heavy transport planes for the Air Force. He was sure with enough screws installed the rails would be plenty secure - secure enough to probably lift the trailer (!). Probably exaggerating, but I think they’ll be fine.

Headed to Indiana next week with the Ryker and TW200 in tow. I’ll report back how it goes.

My hangar neighbor puts used motor oil on his trailers wood floor

Good thing you went with the larger size so it can carry more stuff....:lol::lol:

35dd144df25b20bb9c134fc96728fc848e4e2646

My hangar neighbor puts used motor oil on his trailers wood floor

Works great until you need to lie down on the trailer to attach straps on something, or get a spark and your trailer ignites, lol.
Or until you want to park it anywhere near your house. That stuff -- and anything soaked with it -- reeks to high heaven, and when the sun shines and the weather is warm it doesn't ever stop. Pass, thanks.

I just like to take a moment to thank everyone in this thread for correctly writing the word "brake". People taking about the "breaks" on their car is possibly my biggest pet peeve. Of course it does alert me to the fact that they are idiots and I can safely ignore anything else they have to say, so there is that.

Yeah that kinda stuff just brakes my heart! :p

Try looking for used trailers and vehicles on FB marketplace or craigslist. You quickly lose faith in humanity after finding a few trailors and tracktors for sale. Although the newest head scratcher is this; search FB marketplace for "yes" and see how much stuff comes up with "yes" in the title. "No" often yields results as well :confused:

Seen this one today on Craigslist. Between the wording & the view of the location I decided I'd pass on going to look at these parts ...

https://charleston.craigslist.org/avo/d/cottageville-rv/7352838414.html

PS: I bet you might hear some banjo pickin' around that part of the county ...

Works great until you need to lie down on the trailer to attach straps on something, or get a spark and your trailer ignites, lol.

Used motor oil has a high flashpoint. Unless you have a massive overfueling issue and messed up piston rings. And even in that case, the gasoline is going to evaporate quickly.

Used motor oil has a high flashpoint. Unless you have a massive overfueling issue and messed up piston rings. And even in that case, the gasoline is going to evaporate quickly.

I know, I was just alluding to using something flammable as a protectant. I still don't think there's much reason to use anything as a protectant on the wood if it's stored under cover. The wood will last decades as long as it doesn't just sit out in the sun/rain every day.

Quick update:

Drove over 500 miles today, about 50/50 Interstate and State Roads. Absolutely zero sway or any issues at all. Here, after arriving at our destination:

51339814721_bcc8bb9f10_z.jpg

The friend of Karen’s we’re visiting saw Karen’s Ryker and immediately went out and bought one. Planning a ride tomorrow.

I was a bit disappointed in our gas mileage today. The Flex, with its twin turbo V6 and 365 hp averages about 22 mpg by itself. Towing our travel trailer we get just 11 or 12 mpg. I thought with less trailer frontal area we’d manage maybe somewhere between the two. But nope, only got about 12 mpg today. Oh, well, it is what it is.

I was a bit disappointed in our gas mileage today. The Flex, with its twin turbo V6 and 365 hp averages about 22 mpg by itself. Towing our travel trailer we get just 11 or 12 mpg. I thought with less trailer frontal area we’d manage maybe somewhere between the two. But nope, only got about 12 mpg today. Oh, well, it is what it is.

My 2020 F-150 with 5.0L V8, 400 HP, gets about 20 mpg highway, and about 13-14 mpg pulling my 20 foot car hauler with 2,500 pounds of tractor on it.

Quick update:

Drove over 500 miles today, about 50/50 Interstate and State Roads. Absolutely zero sway or any issues at all. Here, after arriving at our destination:

51339814721_bcc8bb9f10_z.jpg

The friend of Karen’s we’re visiting saw Karen’s Ryker and immediately went out and bought one. Planning a ride tomorrow.

That slatted ramp/tailgate doesn't do you any aerodynamic favors.

Back