Display Name

Display name:
iflyatiger
Hope it hasn't been posted yet.

Discovery channel starts on Jan. 5th at 9pm

"Flying Wild - Alaska "

The commercial looked good, enjoy.

Jon

I love the lady in the commercial driving the tug. She looks at the camera and says " Ice Road truckers are P!@#$s". LOL. Could be a great series.

Just FYI: it looks like the show premieres Friday, January 14 based on their current TV and web ads. Here's the Discovery channel link for the series:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/flying-wild-alaska/

Based on the ads and the treatment other "reality" series gave to their subjects, like Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men, it'll probably showcase manufactured or inflated crisis. Hopefully the people portrayed aren't lured into putting regulations busts into video records. An Oregon logging firm was shown violating some regulations on Ax Men, and they paid for it.

As long as Thom Beers doesn't do his patented s-l-o-w t-a-l-k-k-k-k-i-n-g narration.

I can just hear it now: "Meanwhile....50 miles north of Fairbanks, nnnn is dealing with weather..."

Watching a show now on NatGeo called Alaska Wing men some great planes great show! Amazing how much that State depends on aviation.

Watching a show now on NatGeo called Alaska Wing men some great planes great show! Amazing how much that State depends on aviation.

I watched four episodes of that last night (about as much as Junelle would let me get away with)! That was a very good show that I hadn't ever heard of. They did a little bit of over-acting in the VO, but overall it was pretty decent.

Alaska Wing Men

Thanks guys for watching...I wrote this 10 years ago and submitted to Nat.Geo. They liked it then but weren't ready for it. Now, Alaska is hot (they say) and I approached them last January again...and they loved it. The first 3 episodes you saw are very tame and not what I really had envisioned. They are buying 7 more because of the good ratings and I will be heading back up there to film soon...I guarantee it will be WAY better and edgy!! I really appreciate you guys watching. This is merely my way of giving back after having flown up there for a number of years. I fly for the airlines now but still go up there often....

Keary

Keary, I loved your first three episodes! They seemed plenty edgy enough for me.

Thanks guys for watching...I wrote this 10 years ago and submitted to Nat.Geo. They liked it then but weren't ready for it. Now, Alaska is hot (they say) and I approached them last January again...and they loved it. The first 3 episodes you saw are very tame and not what I really had envisioned. They are buying 7 more because of the good ratings and I will be heading back up there to film soon...I guarantee it will be WAY better and edgy!! I really appreciate you guys watching. This is merely my way of giving back after having flown up there for a number of years. I fly for the airlines now but still go up there often....

Keary

Wow your responsible for that show!! KUDOS I really enjoyed it. Question though. How do you "write" a show that is unscripted like that?

I would love to go take a lesson from that guy Lee ( forget the last name). The NTSB investigation was done very well too. I really like the nuiances in the Bush pilot lesson about flying over debris on a gravel bar showing how close the tail wheel came to the gravel bar. Thank you or thank Nat Geo for NOT dumbing it down!! Just a great show good job!!!

I was a little surprised to hear one of the pilots confusing pilotage for dead reckoning, but in any case, it was great to get a taste of a flying world that is dramatically different from what we have in the lower 48.

Last edited:
So far, lots of great video... And taking off into ~1 1/4 vis for a 100-mile flight into the middle of nowhere with a ridgetop landing. Whee! :goofy:

I loved it! Though a little drama of flying through a fog bank and controlled flight into terrain, without mention of flying by reference to instruments. Overall, great show.

Congratulations!

Great show. I'm looking forward to next Friday evening. Great in HD on a big screen.

I loved it! Though a little drama of flying through a fog bank and controlled flight into terrain, without mention of flying by reference to instruments. Overall, great show.

Congratulations!

I agree. Guy even has a moving map GPS in the panel. Oh well... If that's the worst we can pick on, well done.

Congratulations!

Yea, I don't understand why anyone would intentionally fly into a FOG bank. By definition, fog is close to the ground. I don't recall any mention of VFR or IFR flight. When they said that one plane had to take off before its REGISTRATION expires, I realized that this show was not made for Pilots viewing pleasure, but the typical reality show audience.

I agree. Guy even has a moving map GPS in the panel. Oh well... If that's the worst we can pick on, well done.

Probably because there is no IFR until you get with in Radar range of any of the airports on the north side of the Alaska range. and most of those airports do not have towers. or radar.

remember that is uncontrolled airspace

Last edited:
Yea, I don't understand why anyone would intentionally fly into a FOG bank. By definition, fog is close to the ground. I don't recall any mention of VFR or IFR flight. When they said that one plane had to take off before its REGISTRATION expires, I realized that this show was not made for Pilots viewing pleasure, but the typical reality show audience.

That Sherpa 23 operates under different rules than GA it is over 12.5k gross and operates on a part 125 operations certificate, what ever that certificate says is what you do.

Here's a question for those who watched the show (I did) when the young pilot whipped out his sat phone and called in a flight plan, who did he file it with ?

Here's a question for those who watched the show (I did) when the young pilot whipped out his sat phone and called in a flight plan, who did he file it with ?

I assumed it was with his company. He didn't give all of usual flight plan information so I'm guessing it wasn't filed with the FAA.

I assumed it was with his company. He didn't give all of usual flight plan information so I'm guessing it wasn't filed with the FAA.

the same conclusion I drew, just talking with the boss. I got 3, going here :)

Back