New Truck Bodystyles

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
What’s up with every new truck taking on these boxy cyborg body styles? I just saw Toyota’s next generation Tacoma announcement and it looks like they’re going to ruin it, granted they only show a silhouette, but it looks just like a smaller Tundra. I know some folks aren’t a fan of the current model and I won’t argue against the fact that some things could use updating, but it’s simplistic nature is what makes it such an appealing truck for me.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/tacoma/

Bah.

isn't the taco one of the best selling midsize trucks?

I'm not sure what you're seeing in that silhouette, it looks like a truck to me.

I have to agree. That looks like a ford now. Sigh

It's all cyclical.. From the classic square body to the "Good grief, look how Dodge messed up the shape of the hood!" to everybody doing that for a while to now moving back to square body(ish).

Clearly the goal is to make them as unaerodynamic as possible to make them get the worst gas mileage possible.

Just when you thought a "new" truck couldn't get any uglier. Yes, this truck exists and someone actually thought this bumper was a good idea. It's on a lot here in town and been there for a while. Can't imagine why. :)
ugly.png

Last edited:
I liked the canoo styling, too bad they aren't looking healthy enough to get to the consumer finish line

pickup-hero-tinted.jpg

reminds me of the old VW combi trucks.

Can we all agree that cybertruk is fugly? :D No tacoma will look worse than that thing.

The next generation of Ranger has gone the exact same way. It's no longer unique.. it's just a shrunk down F-150 which is really disappointing.

What’s up with every new truck taking on these boxy cyborg body styles? I just saw Toyota’s next generation Tacoma announcement and it looks like they’re going to ruin it, granted they only show a silhouette, but it looks just like a smaller Tundra. I know some folks aren’t a fan of the current model and I won’t argue against the fact that some things could use updating, but it’s simplistic nature is what makes it such an appealing truck for me.

Bah.

I can't even tell what the thing looks like! What kind of douchecookie photographer does a photo shoot in the dark?

I'll be honest, if I could comfortably afford a Cybertruck, the version they said would come with solar panels, I would totally have one sitting at the family ranch.

Bah.

Maybe Toyota is designing the Taco so you don’t feel like you are sitting on the floor anymore.

Maybe Toyota is designing the Taco so you don’t feel like you are sitting on the floor anymore.

What?! You mean to tell me you don't like having to move your knees to be able to check the side mirrors?

I feel the same about most cars and trucks in general. I love my Tacoma, the 2nd gen, right before Yota copypasted the same ugly gaping-mouth front end onto every vehicle they make. Now seeing the newer Tundra/Taco lines look like every other ForChevRamGMC F2500 out there, it just makes me sad. I've never been a truck guy, and Toyotas were the ones that checked all the boxed I needed and didn't look like a Transformer land yacht tonka toy. There's so little personality and individuality across manufacturers these days. (caveat, that you don't pay out the nose for anyway)

I haven’t seen a new truck bodystyle I’ve liked in a long long time. Most of the newer ones look like oversized Tonka trucks. Styling wise I think they all peaked in the early-mid 90s.

I haven’t seen a new truck bodystyle I’ve liked in a long long time. Most of the newer ones look like oversized Tonka trucks. Styling wise I think they all peaked in the early-mid 90s.

I overall agree, the styles were better in years past. Of course now you’ve got a lot of other regulations that influence styling related to safety, economy, etc. Those limit your options as a designer.

I kinda feel like the size was better in the past too....
re standard sizes....the old ones seem to be larger than today's "small trucks" and at the same time more efficient with their use of space somehow, but they are definitely smaller than today's full size trucks....
Tires were smaller too.... cheaper to replace, easier to change, etc...
Oh, and for folks that actually use them as trucks, there was the Long Bed

I kinda feel like the size was better in the past too....
re standard sizes....the old ones seem to be larger than today's "small trucks" and at the same time more efficient with their use of space somehow, but they are definitely smaller than today's full size trucks....
Tires were smaller too.... cheaper to replace, easier to change, etc...
Oh, and for folks that actually use them as trucks, there was the Long Bed
I recently went from a 97 to a 2022, both Chevy 2500s. The size difference is comical. The new one next to the old one looks about the old one next to its contemporary s-10.

The new one is lightyears better WRT comfort and towing, but good grief getting stuff in and out of the bed is ridiculous. I'm 6'4" and can't reach anything not within about a foot of the sides. The steps they put into the sides help, but it definitely reduces the utility.

I love the way it looks though. Of course the only one I don't like is that cat-eyed one they built for a decade in the 2000's. I really miss my '78, although that might just be nostalgia.

Back