New to site -- Actor- would love feedback

Father's Day weekend is always the weekend for the Olympic Air Show at KOLM. And, as usual, I spent the weekend on the flight line helping push planes around, crowd control and generally enjoying getting closer to the action than the regular crowd can do. And I will pay for it for a few days as my left ankle really doesn't like the abuse. Oh well...

First picture is the museum's P-51D firing up for a ride. The second is of the Navy FA-18E Super Hornet that was at the show all weekend. That plane is LOUD. We got some complaints over that one. I hope it is back next year. Finally, we had a jet powered race car that put on a show a couple times each day. Raced airplanes. And, until this afternoon when the P-51 beat him, he was winning.

The only thing that could have been better was, as usual, the weather. Ceilings weren't much over 2000 feet, so that limited some of the acts. But, we had a good time. I'm looking forward to next year.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the pictures, they look incredible!
The long car looks amazing!!! If you find a video, please post it in action!

Make sure you ice that foot!

When I visited the Santa Monica Airport last week, one of the things that came up was the strong possibility of it getting shut down by the residents when the lease is up in a year or so. It was at the end of my two hour visit, and it was so sad to hear that after seeing how much fun, and joy that place brought even just the few I came in contact with that day.

Well, as I'm watching ONE SIX RIGHT, they got to the part where they mentioned similar stories of airports getting shut down so often and my jaw dropped when they showed the picture of the airports runway that was a victim to the bulldozers. WOW! Incredible. I had to just post that I was shocked. I'm heading back to finish -- curious to hear what happened to the people involved in that. The aerial shot of the runway with all of those X's is just horrible.

Well, as I'm watching ONE SIX RIGHT, they got to the part where they mentioned similar stories of airports getting shut down so often and my jaw dropped when they showed the picture of the airports runway that was a victim to the bulldozers. WOW! Incredible. I had to just post that I was shocked. I'm heading back to finish -- curious to hear what happened to the people involved in that. The aerial shot of the runway with all of those X's is just horrible.

Nothing. It's Chicago. The Daly "Machine" is as strong there as it ever was. The Airport is a Park now. Gone forever. Anyone else but a Daly tried doing that, they be Prosecuted as terrorists.

Yes, it's very sad! My first version of Microsoft Flightsim was version 4 (i think). That was when I was a teenager (mid '80s). The default airport was Meigs field in Chicago! I loved that airport!!!

Never been there in real life but I became intimately familiar with KCGX, long before I actually got my PPL :).

It really ****ed me off when they shut it down and bulldozed the runway in the middle of the night:mad2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field

Last edited:
Nothing. It's Chicago. The Daly "Machine" is as strong there as it ever was. The Airport is a Park now. Gone forever. Anyone else but a Daly tried doing that, they be Prosecuted as terrorists.
Actually, the Daley Machine is gone, because Richie Daley (the mayor who perpetrated that crime) opted not to run for re-election last time. However, I'm always disappointed by how many people I talk to who were totally unaware that this occurred.

Great to see you put this much effort into researching a part, Mr. Marrero. I would have never thought to seek out a public forum.

Sounds like you're going to turn into a regular hangar rat :). Welcome to the addiction.

Start pilot training now, so one day when you're a big star and own a multi-million dollar jet, you can fly it like John Travolta.

LOVING this movie, btw. Thanks for the suggestion, everyone!

I just want to go sit at the airports now and watch everything going on. Probably will take a couple of trips soon on my own.

How is everyone's weekend thus far? Any cool stories from the air?

I got to take my youngest son for his first flight on Saturday.

(he was pretty tired..) :yes:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hey Ace - did not know you were still posting here -

We are scheduled to meet tomorrow and go up - in a 1971 Piper Comanche, its a single engine airplane that maxes out at about 155kts or about 185mph. Current has 3 seats in it but it can seat 6 - 4 adults and then 2 smaller seats for kids or smaller adults.

Looks like the weather might be a little gloomy so the plan right now it is to launch probably under IFR - go somewhere for the proverbial $100 hamburger while you see what its like to aviate, navigate and communicate. The plan is to head out to 'French Valley' which is in Temecula - which should be clear by the time we get there.

Hopefully on the way home we'll have clearer skies and we can stop over the Lake Matthews training area and give you the controls for a little while - while a Comanche does not fly like a Lear or a 737 - it is a little 'heavy' in roll and thus will give you the idea of the strength you might need to turn a yoke.

The problem with flying is that its done in pretty small increments - not the large dramatic shifts you see on TV -

A Plan B is instead of Temecula heading up to Mojave - which given what you want to do might be the better choice -but its supposed to get a little windy tomorrow which up in the desert means real winds and real turbulence - which can be upsetting to the tender stomach of an actor!

So lets see where we end up - Mother Nature will be in charge as always. . .

I'm jealous, Joe. I've yet to get some IFR exposure and here you're are doing it on one of his first flights! :D

Ace, seeing how Joe does an IFR departure and "working within the system" as you guys get going will be some good exposure since your character would be doing this as a matter of fact on many if not of his commercial flights.

Good luck to you both and we want a full trip report!!

I'm jealous, Joe. I've yet to get some IFR exposure and here you're are doing it on one of his first flights! :D

Ace, seeing how Joe does an IFR departure and "working within the system" as you guys get going will be some good exposure since your character would be doing this as a matter of fact on many if not of his commercial flights.

Come to Nebraska and I'll take you up on a nice cloudy day...

@AggieMike - buy an airline ticket to Hartford to see bestforwardspeed or out to ONT - I'll take you to CRQ - I think they get 300 days of am IMC.

A Comanche C - certainly one of the most beautiful GA planes ever designed and built. And I say this as a Bonanza owner!

My first-ever GA flight was in a Comanche (a 1959 250), a pure delight.

Ace, you are going to enjoy your flight!

Pics, or it never happened!

Hey Ace - did not know you were still posting here -

We are scheduled to meet tomorrow and go up - in a 1971 Piper Comanche, its a single engine airplane that maxes out at about 155kts or about 185mph. Current has 3 seats in it but it can seat 6 - 4 adults and then 2 smaller seats for kids or smaller adults.

Looks like the weather might be a little gloomy so the plan right now it is to launch probably under IFR - go somewhere for the proverbial $100 hamburger while you see what its like to aviate, navigate and communicate. The plan is to head out to 'French Valley' which is in Temecula - which should be clear by the time we get there.

Hopefully on the way home we'll have clearer skies and we can stop over the Lake Matthews training area and give you the controls for a little while - while a Comanche does not fly like a Lear or a 737 - it is a little 'heavy' in roll and thus will give you the idea of the strength you might need to turn a yoke.

The problem with flying is that its done in pretty small increments - not the large dramatic shifts you see on TV -

A Plan B is instead of Temecula heading up to Mojave - which given what you want to do might be the better choice -but its supposed to get a little windy tomorrow which up in the desert means real winds and real turbulence - which can be upsetting to the tender stomach of an actor!

So lets see where we end up - Mother Nature will be in charge as always. . .

Awesome. Let my cousin take the controls tonight and he loved it.

Actually, the Daley Machine is gone, because Richie Daley (the mayor who perpetrated that crime) opted not to run for re-election last time. However, I'm always disappointed by how many people I talk to who were totally unaware that this occurred.

It's a real shame. They then showed what it looks like now and I felt quite sad for it. Terribly unfortunate.

Great to see you put this much effort into researching a part, Mr. Marrero. I would have never thought to seek out a public forum.

Sounds like you're going to turn into a regular hangar rat :). Welcome to the addiction.

Start pilot training now, so one day when you're a big star and own a multi-million dollar jet, you can fly it like John Travolta.

Thanks! This is the fun stuff. You guys have really helped so much, especially with just building excitement for me!

I wouldn't mind taking that on, however...of all the people, you had to mention poor John?? lol

Woah, I'm rather honored. I'll be sure to take some pictures and put together a little video :)

A Comanche C - certainly one of the most beautiful GA planes ever designed and built. And I say this as a Bonanza owner!

My first-ever GA flight was in a Comanche (a 1959 250), a pure delight.

Ace, you are going to enjoy your flight!

Pics, or it never happened!

How's video? Go hard or go home.

Thanks! This is the fun stuff. You guys have really helped so much, especially with just building excitement for me!

I wouldn't mind taking that on, however...of all the people, you had to mention poor John?? lol

Travolta is one of the most advanced actor-pilots so the mention is natural. Why poor?

Besides Travolta, Freeman, and Ford, what other mainstream actors are pilots?

As far as actors go, I think Cliff Robertson was probably the best of the best as a pilot.

ok so, today went ok. had OVC1400 when he arrived but only SCT1200 when we took off. Saw the marine layer dissipating in the distance. Went to CRQ IFR for lunch but CRQ also was reporting 1700SCT when got there - and you could see the runway from 20 miles out from under the cloud deck - so not sure one could log that as a instrument flight! [sorry Aggie]

Trip back was typical SoCal marine layer - clear and a gazillion on top - could see LAX from Oceanside VOR. The layer was all offshore by then.

Some pilot I am - flared it 2' too high and dropped it on and actually bounced it - first time in probably 2 years - back at POC. We all can't be perfect-

And Kimberley - I could probably come up with a list at least as long as yours in that other thread from both flights today. Chill - we're all perfect when we are on the ground.

ok so, today went ok. had OVC1400 when he arrived but only SCT1200 when we took off. Saw the marine layer dissipating in the distance. Went to CRQ IFR for lunch but CRQ also was reporting 1700SCT when got there - and you could see the runway from 20 miles out from under the cloud deck - so not sure one could log that as a instrument flight! [sorry Aggie]

Trip back was typical SoCal marine layer - clear and a gazillion on top - could see LAX from Oceanside VOR. The layer was all offshore by then.

Some pilot I am - flared it 2' too high and dropped it on and actually bounced it - first time in probably 2 years - back at POC. We all can't be perfect-

And Kimberley - I could probably come up with a list at least as long as yours in that other thread from both flights today. Chill - we're all perfect when we are on the ground.

Thanks. Took my Dad up last night and my cousin, super poor viz on landing (hard to find the runway since I was doing a straight in, the sun was setting, and there was haze). A tiny bounce, and I do mean tiny, due to much too much airspeed.... and a couple of other items.... but all passengers said they had fun and at that time that was what mattered. I am "getting over it" and just accepting that I don't fly that often and can't expect to be perfect. It was an amazing night, we all agreed, and we got home safe and sound.

Travolta is one of the most advanced actor-pilots so the mention is natural. Why poor?

Oh, I'm not bringing to question his abilities, but he hasn't had the best luck in the media lately, and the only other time he was brought up here was a picture of him holding a plastic solo cup in a hot tub lol.

:wink2:

I don't know, but ONE SIX RIGHT had Travolta's co-star, Lorenzo Lamas ;)

The first time I heard of Lorenzo Lamas was when he was the tough biker in that motorcycle show. When I saw in in Grease it shattered my image of the guy. Especially the closing scene where he is wearing blue pastel.

Oh, I'm not bringing to question his abilities, but he hasn't had the best luck in the media lately, and the only other time he was brought up here was a picture of him holding a plastic solo cup in a hot tub lol.

:wink2:

Meh. The only "poor" I feel about Travolta is the loss of Jett. I think he can handle the rest.

Story of my life - take someone up and then never hear from them again! :D :D :D

Story of my life - take someone up and then never hear from them again! :D :D :D

Kinda weird he was looking so forward to this and basically no report at all from Ace on it.

Did you scare the crap out of him or something? :D

Need to remove the following from your after shutdown checklist:

ASK QUESTION: "So, was it good for you?​

Back