New to PoA

C

chokeu2

Hello all!
I'm a new guy to the site, new to the notion of actually beginning my flight training; but not new to aviation. I've been a buff all my life after having grown up around aircraft.

My father is an aircraft mechanic, and in my much younger years, I got my first exposure to taking the controls at 11 years old because of a family friend that gave some instruction in return for my pops taking care of his airplane. Which was a nice Piper twin.... :D

I'm finally at a point, nearly 25 years later that I have the resources, and can actually dedicate the time to starting and finishing the private ticket process. Had I started prior to now, I'd have not finished.

That being said, I am in the Atlanta area (Sandy Springs specifically), and was wondering if anyone has any insite on who the "go to" instructor would be in this area? I do not want the instructor that is going to unncessarily run up my hours, and is quite an effective teacher. I know my way around an airplane, but I would not assume to say that I'm going to blow through the training.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear em!

Welcom to the board, its always great to have more! I cant help you with an instructor in your area, but would recommend going around to local airports and FBOs and interviewing some, see if you find one you like and go with him/her.

Welcome to POA you'll like it and learn a lot here. Can't tell ya anything about Flight training in Atlanta but the Atlanta folks will log in soon.

chokeu2 said:
I'm finally at a point, nearly 25 years later that I have the resources, and can actually dedicate the time to starting and finishing the private ticket process.

Awesome! :yes:

You'll find that these boards are a wonderful resource for any questions you may have during training that are stumping you. Stick around, we love to help new pilots along the way. :)

That being said, I am in the Atlanta area (Sandy Springs specifically), and was wondering if anyone has any insite on who the "go to" instructor would be in this area? I do not want the instructor that is going to unncessarily run up my hours, and is quite an effective teacher. I know my way around an airplane, but I would not assume to say that I'm going to blow through the training.

I don't know anything about Atlanta, but I bet Lance Flynn knows at least one good CFI down there...

Welcome to the board! Lots of us started late -- same thing -- when we had the time we didn't have the money!

Welcome! I just got my PPASEL at age 53 (!!), so yer still just a young'un! :D

A lot of good info here, a WHOLE LOT of good people - it's a pretty great place to be, all in all!

Welcome to the board!

I'm not in your area so I can't help you with the training, but It is nice to see you found this great place!

Welcome to the boards. I gotta ask...what's the name mean? "ChokeU2"?

Welcome to the Board! If you are willing to train at 9A1 in Covington, I can definitely help you. Send me a PM, and I'll give you details. If you go to PDK, you will almost certainly be flying down to 9A1 to do touch and goes. If the hanger on the western end of the runway is open, stop in and say hello.

Welcome To POA, you'll get lots of help here. And if you stop by the Flashchat you'll get help from people that will answer your Questions now ( dont have to wait for posts). Stop by and say HI. cant help with ATL area but looks like Lance has taken care of that anyway.
WELCOME again
Dave G

SkyHog said:
Welcome to the boards. I gotta ask...what's the name mean? "ChokeU2"?

Where do you think the extra income for flying is coming from?:dunno: :D (just kidding, welcome to the board choker.)

etsisk said:
Welcome! I just got my PPASEL at age 53 (!!), so yer still just a young'un! :D
You didn't look a day over 30 to me Tom!

etsisk said:
A lot of good info here, a WHOLE LOT of good people - it's a pretty great place to be, all in all!

Truer words were never spoken.

OH, this is where everyone went !

Back