St. Allofus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RDC
Hello All!

Just wanted to introduce myself here on the forum. I am a 23 year old who is just excited to have stumbled across this awesome wealth of information. I currently live a little west of Fort Worth, TX with my wife and in-laws during the pandemic. It is amazing watching and hearing the pilots from NAS Fort Worth JRB fly over to train out here!

I am aiming to get my PPL before the end of summer. I got a 1st class flight physical back in May.
Currently, I have been going through a couple of flight books that relatives have passed down to me. I also began reading through the PHAK and I bought the Sporty's Study Buddy App to help drill in questions while I read through materials. I am trying to take advantage of this downtime that I have before my job gets busy again.. also looking for an instructor out in this neck of the woods! I got some good leads, but some are too far. Bourland Field (50F) is about 10 minutes away from where I am. I also heard of Spinks Airport out in Burleson, TX which is about 30 minutes away.

I took the ASTB-E in hopes of becoming a naval aviator. I recently learned about the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserves and how it can be another opportunity to serve in the military as an aviator. I bought a couple of AFOQT study books and I just started that process of studying for that exam. Trying to keep my options open, but I would love to serve this country as a military pilot. It would also be a dream to become a CFI one day and maybe even get my ATP certificate down the road. I have been connecting with people through a bunch of different forums and websites. If there is anyone out there who has served as a military pilot or has specific experience in guard units / AF reserve units, I would love to connect with you.

Outside from flight stuff, I work at a Lutheran church as their director of traditional worship / young adults. Got my bachelors degree in Music Education back in 2018, but decided that I did not want to become a public school teacher. I am kind of just typing and blabbering at this point, but I hope this kinda gives you an idea of who I am. If you are in the DFW area, let's grab a beer (or whatever you like) and connect!

Blessings to you guys,

RD

Welcome to the forum. A lot of good information here. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

RD, I think you are going to kick ass. Just remember, action speaks volumes, keep at it. My neighbor's kid is becoming, actually is now, a naval aviator. He is in training now, got through his instrument training, made his first flight in the front seat of the trainer jet. He got into the naval academy from high school, finished near the top of his class. That's how he got in. I met a guy who got into a guard unit by going to a unit and not taking no for an answer. He flew old planes, like the F4.

That's all I have for you, I wanted to be an military pilot when I was young, but needed glasses to see which I was told was a non-starter back then. Times are different now. Good luck, don't give up, be smart.

Back