NEW TO IT ALL!!!

davidh2w3

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
davidh2w3
Ok so I have not yet started flight training or even school for that matter. I live in a "small" town about an hour from any airport that does any kind of training, there is a private plane airport about 30 minutes from me but I don't think they have any kind of training program. What I want to know is how to begin the whole process and is there any kind of way to help pay for it. As it is I am already sleeping in my car and have no money to put down on anything. I have read some of the forums on here and I cannot join the military because of 1 my age and 2 I failed the physical when I was younger. I also have read that you can trade skills for flight time and or lessons, well I have done everything there is to do to a house for about 11+ years "setting forms, foundation, framing, roofing, flooring, drywall, and finish work, etc. I also went to school for only a semester for auto diagnosis and tune - up 101 never got to finish because the school dropped my classes because I was the only person to enroll "like I said, small town" if there is any kind of way to begin or trade services please let me know this has been a life long dream... and its a pretty ****ty feeling when the military tells you that you will never fly because of something they corrected 7 years later....

If you're living in your car, what I would suggest you do is go to the airport FBOs all around and applying for jobs ramping and doing building maintence. When you get a job at the FBO, go talk to the flight instructors and see who s looking for a room mate, they are all dirt poor, so at least one of them will. Now you move out of your car, and you have a job that makes you money and typically a discount rate on rental and fuel, and if you are lucky, your room mate doesn't charge you for instruction.

The other option is marry an old rich widow.

Last edited:
If you're living in your car, what I would suggest you do is go to the airport FBOs all around and applying for jobs ramping. When you get a job at the FBO, go talk to the flight instructors and see who s looking for a room mate, they are all dirt poor, so at least one of them will. Now you move out of your car, and you have a job that makes you money and typically a discount rate on rental and fuel, and if you are lucky, your room mate doesn't charge you for instruction.

+1 on getting a job at an FBO with a flight school You get to meet people in the industry,find friends in aviation,and hopefully get to work on your ppl.

Why did you fail the physical? There is a medical certificate required to fly as a private pilot, since your financial situation is not good, I would start with getting a medical first. You need to decide which one, but I would go for the highest medical you will need for the flying you would like to do, especially if you wish to fly for hire. If you can't pass the medical, then flying for hire is not in the cards.

I would start with getting a job first, he needs that $85+ for the medical to eat on right now. Flying is always possible as long as you don't need a job doing it.

I would start with getting a job first, he needs that $85+ for the medical to eat on right now. Flying is always possible as long as you don't need a job doing it.

Before training, Henning, before training, not before getting a job to pay for anything.

Welcome and good luck! I'd say save up some bucks before u start training. Well, that and get a place to live.

I am calling it.

You can't afford to fly.

Agreed. Eventually, maybe, but not now.

More stable income and living arrangements first, saving up an emergency fund, maintaining debt freedom, and saving up 6-months of survival income (in case of job loss) would be much smarter to accomplish before saving for or starting flight training.

If you're living in your car, what I would suggest you do is go to the airport FBOs all around and applying for jobs ramping and doing building maintence. When you get a job at the FBO, go talk to the flight instructors and see who s looking for a room mate, they are all dirt poor, so at least one of them will. Now you move out of your car, and you have a job that makes you money and typically a discount rate on rental and fuel, and if you are lucky, your room mate doesn't charge you for instruction.

This is the best one yet.

He didn't ask how he can get a place to live or food, so apparently he's good with what he has there. :dunno:

This is the best one yet.

He didn't ask how he can get a place to live or food, so apparently he's good with what he has there. :dunno:

Well, the reality of our society is that without a place to live, it's nearly impossible to have a job which he does not, nor does he give the impression that he is financially independent living in his car by choice. That means in his current position he is not able to fly, because as we all know, money is what makes planes fly.

I gave him a path that would lead him to flying, and flying affordably that is within the realm of reality. What did you provide?

If he wants to fly, he needs money. It's real hard to make money living out of a car, I know, I've done it.

Well, the reality of our society is that without a place to live, it's nearly impossible to have a job which he does not, nor does he give the impression that he is financially independent living in his car by choice. That means in his current position he is not able to fly, because as we all know, money is what makes planes fly.

I gave him a path that would lead him to flying, and flying affordably that is within the realm of reality. What did you provide?

If he wants to fly, he needs money. It's real hard to make money living out of a car, I know, I've done it.

Right, I thought I was agreeing with you. Agree with what you added as well. :wink2:

I meant that your's was the best advise so far, maybe you thought I was being sarcastic. :dunno:

Last edited:
Right, I thought I was agreeing with you. Agree with what you added as well. :wink2:

I meant that your's was the best advise so far, maybe you thought I was being sarcastic. :dunno:

Sorry, missed it. Yeah, a bit strange that, but I have a feeling the young man failed the urinalysis part of his military medical though.

Back