New to forum. havent flown since 10/2002.

2weelz4me

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
2weelz4me
Looking to possibly get back into it. Used to own a 1969 Skylane 182. was hoping to go a bit faster, after getting back up to speed. Anyone fly out of HPN in White Plaines, NY?

Welcome! Not from the NY area but I’m sure so folks will be along. Get back in the saddle though…it will take a few hours to learn about all the reg changes but will come back quick.

Looking to possibly get back into it. Used to own a 1969 Skylane 182. was hoping to go a bit faster, after getting back up to speed. Anyone fly out of HPN in White Plaines, NY?
Why did you sell her? Any photos?
Go up with an instructor for your flight review, always good to get up to date. Do an IPC if you are instrument rated.

Welcome to POA, try to join us at our fly-in’s, provided you like alcohol food and late nights.

When I did instruction full time I had a guy come in to the place where I worked. Last flew 26 years ago.
I told him that "technically" he needed a medical and a BFR (that's what we called them back in the day).
I took him flying night. His voice cracked and his hands were shaking but his radio work was flawless and he flew like a boss.
He came back for a few flights before the subject about signing him off came up again. When it did I was happy to endorse his logbook.

I have extensive experience out of HPN, but not in a GA fashion.

IMO, not a friendly airport for training.

Welcome back! There’s been a few things that changed, but airplanes still fly the same.

2002, your medical was probably expired by 2006. After you renew it, look at the basicmed program where your family doctor does your medical.

I took off 2002 - 2021 from flying.

First step was to schedule a flight. I scheduled a lesson and told the instructor I was working towards having a BFR (now FF) signed off, but I did not have any expectations of how long it would take to do so. I managed to con..... SHOW HIM, that I was OK to be signed off in 1.3 hours of flying and about 1.5 ground.

Next, since I had maintained my medical up to 2014 (did my SCCA racing medical at my AME and got both), I did Basic Med and started flying. After a month or so, I scheduled to do my IPC. I did most in the sim, with one flight to satisfy the landing requirements. Did that at night, so added an extra pattern and became night current.

Bought my Mooney the summer of 2022. :D

Next, since I had maintained my medical up to 2014 (did my SCCA racing medical at my AME and got both), I did Basic Med and started flying..
SCCA and FAA? It was pointed out to me this morning that the GCR states that a FAA med cert is accepted by SCCA, so why do both?

I was in a similar position as you a couple years ago except I was never certificated. I recommend taking the AOPA rusty pilot course. It was a good primer for me to get caught up to some of the changes so I didn't look like a total fool when I got back in the plane with my 20-something CFI. In the timeless, wise words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git 'r done!"

SCCA and FAA? It was pointed out to me this morning that the GCR states that a FAA med cert is accepted by SCCA, so why do both?

My AME did my FAA physical and just also filled out the SCCA form.

But mainly because I did not know the FAA medical was good enough. :D

I recommend taking the AOPA rusty pilot course. It was a good primer for me to get caught up to some of the changes so I didn't look like a total fool when I got back in the plane with my 20-something CFI.

Good point. I did the Rusty Pilot course and felt it was perfect to update me on a lot of things.

Get a good instructor thats not just building time for the airlines. i did it was well worth it.start reading the FARs Good luck

Get up and get the feeling back with a CFI, go over the regs, mentally relearn everything you forgot, and then get a BFR knocked out.

I had a ten year hole in my logbook from about 1984 to 1994 (moved several times, never found a place to get checked out). Get a current FAR/AIM book (or download it) and dig out your private pilot book (or download the Airplane Flying Handbook). Once you've reviewed stuff, go find an instructor. You may wish to spend an hour with the POH (possibly sitting in the plane) before the lesson. Took me three flights with the instructor to get the BFR sign off.

Back