New to flying

355spider

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Alanhenson
Just wanted to say hi to everyone on the forum. I'm about to start flying. Haven't done any yet but I'm excited to get started. Anything I should look for in a flying school? Anyone have any recommendations in the Austin area. Thanks for any help guys.

Welcome to the forum and aviation.

Before you get too invested, we often start with making sure there are no medical roadblocks that would either be complete showstoppers or difficult speed bumps. Take a look below and answer honestly if any apply to you. Most can be dealt with, but there are several that require detailed guidance to gain your medical certificate.

Feel free to ask questions about this if you have any.

Applicant History from Form 8500-8

Item 18. Medical History -- Have you ever in your life been diagnosed with, had, or presently have any of the following? Answer yes or no to every condition listed below

• Frequent or severe headaches
  • Dizziness or fainting spells
  • Unconsciousness for any reason
  • Eye or vision trouble except glasses
  • Hay fever or allergy
  • Asthma or lung disease
  • Heart or vascular trouble
  • High or low blood pressure
  • Stomach, liver, or intestinal trouble
  • Kidney stone or blood in urine
  • Diabetes
  • Neurological disorders; epilepsy, seizures, stroke, paralysis, etc.
  • Mental disorders of any sort; depression, anxiety, etc.
  • Substance dependence; or failed a drug test ever; or substance abuse or use of illegal substance in the last 2 years
  • Alcohol dependence or abuse (include any arrests/convictions for DUI or MIP)
  • Suicide attempt
  • Motion sickness requiring medication
  • Military medical discharge
  • Medical rejection by military service
  • Rejection for life or health insurance
  • Admission to hospital
  • Conviction and/or Administrative Action History
  • History of nontraffic convictions
  • Other illness, disability, or surgery

Expansion on 18v since the topic title might not be enough....

Applicant History - Item 18v. Conviction and/or Administrative Action History

The events to be reported are specifically identified in Item 18.v. of FAA Form 8500-8. If yes is checked, the applicant must describe the
conviction(s) and/or administrative action(s) in the EXPLANATIONS box. The description must include:

The alcohol or drug offense for which the applicant was convicted or the type of administrative action involved (e.g., attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program in lieu of conviction; license denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation for refusal to be tested; educational safe driving program for multiple speeding convictions; etc.);

The name of the state or other jurisdiction involved; and

The date of the conviction and/or administrative action

If there have been no new convictions or administrative actions since the last application, the applicant may enter PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE. Convictions and/or administrative actions affecting driving privileges may raise questions about the applicant's fitness for certification and may be cause for disqualification. (See Items 18.n. and 47).

Pilots should recall that they must sign a statement of understanding that the FAA is authorized by federal law to query the National Drivers Register for each applicant.

A single driving while intoxicated (DWI) conviction or administrative action usually is not cause for denial if there are no other instances or indications of substance dependence or abuse. The Examiner should inquire regarding the applicant's alcohol use history, the circumstances surrounding the incident, and document those findings in Item 60. (See Item 47).

Just dive in and ask a lot of questions.
Know your milestones and plan a path toward them. Each will put wind in your sails that will motivate you to get to the next one.

Above all, have fun, Take pictures, and meet other pilots. There are a lot of cool pilots on here in your area.

Keep us posted along the way otherwise we just talk about crashes, what we ate for lunch, and who has the strangest socks :)

Welcome to POA!

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the warm welcomes.i haven't had anything but I passed out from dehydration 15 years ago. Healthy as a horse.

Healthy as this horse? May have some problems...

SickHorse-292x300.jpg

Hah! Just kidding; welcome to the gang!

A certified flight instructor would be helpful. :D

I'm just kidding! Welcome to the group. Have a great time with your flight lessons. :)

And airplanes! A flight school should have airplanes!

Welcome, good luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate all the warm welcomes.i haven't had anything but I passed out from dehydration 15 years ago. Healthy as a horse.

Because of that, 18c will need to be answered yes. But then the AME will ask you about it and then document your honest/full disclosure in block 60 of his form. If more documentation is needed, he will advise.

Because of that, 18c will need to be answered yes. But then the AME will ask you about it and then document your honest/full disclosure in block 60 of his form. If more documentation is needed, he will advise.

Apparently we should all answer yes to this question. We all lose consciousness when we go to sleep at night, right?:D:D

Just wanted to say hi to everyone on the forum. I'm about to start flying. Haven't done any yet but I'm excited to get started. Anything I should look for in a flying school? Anyone have any recommendations in the Austin area. Thanks for any help guys.

Welcome! And congratulations on taking your first steps towards flying!

One of the first things I did was to research several flight schools in my area. I live in Arizona and tried out three flight school, two at KCHD and one at KFFZ, then picked the one that I felt fit me the best. Remember that you'll be spending quite a bit of time one on one with the person that will be your flight instructor, so make sure that your flight instructor is someone that you enjoy being around.

Despite my teasing, AggieMike88 does make a very good point about the medical exam. You have to pass the medical exam in order to solo for the first time. It would be a bummer to spend several thousand dollars on your initial flight training only to find out you can't solo because you can't pass a medical exam.

Apparently we should all answer yes to this question. We all lose consciousness when we go to sleep at night, right?:D:D

Or item 'i' whenever we have a tummy ache, etc, etc...

Both Sporty's and King, IIRC, have a video on selecting a flight school. I know I have them in my collection but I'm not sure they're still offered. If they are, it's probably a good investment. If they're not offered, PM me and we can work something out if you're interested.

PS If you do that thing with "selecting a flight school", you'll find a lot of resources.

Welcome to the forum,enjoy your flying experience.

I know a guy who tried this, jokingly, about 10 years ago. Didn't turn out for him as he expected. Once it's on the form, you can't just take it back.

Welcome and good luck with your flying. Have Fun!!

I know a guy who tried this, jokingly, about 10 years ago. Didn't turn out for him as he expected. Once it's on the form, you can't just take it back.

And therein lies the dilemma. Once it's on the form, it's NEVER coming off.

Back