New taxi rules

To summarize, when crossing multiple runways, you are cleared to cross a runway one at a time (unless another runway is within 1,000 feet of the first runway to be crossed). After crossing the first runway you will then be cleared to cross/hold short the next runway. That means you would not receive a taxi clearance all at once.

Having reread that, this seems like a progressive with respect to multiple runways.

Great summary, Ron. I think this rule change will help prevent incursions, for pilots that are aware of the change.

Well, this Sunday at both KPTK and KJXN, I received taxi instructions with implicit runway crossing clearances and neither time did the controller make the clearance explicit. Some places are taking longer than others to start preparing for the new rules, I guess.

I've never liked the idea of implicit runway crossing clearance and used to ask at the hold short line whenever I wasn't 100% certain the controller really meant for me to do that. Some controllers, especially at PTK, really didn't appreciate the waste of their time.

And then there was the controller at KDET who cleared me from the Southwest Ts via Golf, Alpha to 15 for departure last winter. Since Golf crosses 15/33, even under the current rule I needed a clearance to cross, but the controller seemed puzzled as to why I was asking if I could cross 15. :dunno:

Thanks for the presentation, Ron. :)

Well, this Sunday at both KPTK and KJXN, I received taxi instructions with implicit runway crossing clearances and neither time did the controller make the clearance explicit. Some places are taking longer than others to start preparing for the new rules, I guess.
No doubt some tower chiefs will insist on doing it the old way right up to June 29th, and then their controllers will be messing it up on June 30th. :sigh:

No doubt some tower chiefs will insist on doing it the old way right up to June 29th, and then their controllers will be messing it up on June 30th. :sigh:

I had about the same experience at both my home base (KFCM) and Janesville last Sunday. Both towers cleared me across multiple runways with the initial taxi instructions. In both cases I had to cross the departure runway plus one other and each runway to be crossed was specifically mentioned but it was all run together (e.g. "Turn right, taxi to runway 10 left via alpha and golf, cross runways 10 right and 10 left on golf"). Then again, in both cases the runways to be crossed were within 1000 ft of each other so I guess this was in compliance with the new directive. Unfortunately the instructions were overly complicated per the new plan making it more difficult to remember. I guess the days of committing taxi routes to memory instead of writing them down are gone, even at small airports.

I wonder if there's any effort by the FAA to recommend that pilots be ready to transcribe taxi routes that used to be simple but now require five times the number of words. Also given the likelihood of misheard and/or misremembered taxi instructions, is there any guidance on what if anything is required/recommended in a readback?

...is there any guidance on what if anything is required/recommended in a readback?
Right in the AIM, Section 4-3-18a:
9. When taxi instructions are received from the controller, pilots should always read back:
(a) The runway assignment.
(b) Any clearance to enter a specific runway.
(c) Any instruction to hold short of a specific runway, or taxi into position and hold.
Controllers are required to request a readback of runway hold short assignment when it is not received from the pilot/vehicle.
Personally, I also read back the route (e.g., "Tiger 22RL, taxi runway 32 via Charlie, Delta, Alpha) even though it's not required -- doveryai, no proveryai, and all that. If nothing else, that helps fix the route in my mind.

Right in the AIM, Section 4-3-18a:
Personally, I also read back the route (e.g., "Tiger 22RL, taxi runway 32 via Charlie, Delta, Alpha) even though it's not required -- doveryai, no proveryai, and all that. If nothing else, that helps fix the route in my mind.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. But does "(b) Any clearance to enter a specific runway." also refer to a clearance to cross a specific runway? While "enter" and "cross" aren't mutually exclusive, they aren't exactly synonymous either.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. But does "(b) Any clearance to enter a specific runway." also refer to a clearance to cross a specific runway? While "enter" and "cross" aren't mutually exclusive, they aren't exactly synonymous either.
I know of no additional guidance on point. Personally, I read 'em all back. ;)

Thanks for the power point. It saves us a lot of time.

The FAA has put out a new set of rules effective June 30 for the way controllers clear you to taxi. Here's a briefing I put together on the issue. Hope it helps.

Thank you so much for this!

Back