New student

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
Hey guys. I just wanted to introduce myself in this forum. I got my primary in 2008 and I've always wanted to get instrument rated. After various delays (mostly, life getting in the way), I decided that this would be the year I get my IFR. And now, of course, Covid-19 gets in the way :rolleyes:
(My hope is everyone here is safe and healthy).

I'll do what I can. Yesterday, I completed my King Ground school - 85% on my first practice exam without reviewing my notes! Quite pleased - I'm getting older and I surprised myself I retained as much as I did. Today, I'm reviewing my notes before I take the 2nd practice exam before I get to print out the "instructor's endorsement" from the Kings to take the actual written exam. Who knows when this pandemic will blow over and I can embark on flight training. So, I'll likely wait until the outlook starts to improve, I'll select an instructor and get a few lessons under my belt before I take the exam.

I look forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure I'll be relying on your help as I post questions from time to time. I've posted mainly in the Mx and Avionics Forum. I have a C172N that I've been replacing the audio panel, #1 Com and installing a G5 HSI under my IA's supervision. Boy, what an experience. And my experience, I mean .. headache. But it's nearing completion. Everything is installed. The radio trays are wired and re-racked. Tomorrow, I will finish wiring up the CAN bus (just have to link the G5 with the GAD 29B and GAD 13. The GMU 11 Magnetometer is thankfully taken care of already).

Best,
Nathan

Welcome to the SFRA, what are you flying and where will you be training?

Thanks. Based at HEF. I like Aviation Adventures - I've rented from Bob starting in 2009 after leaving Manassas Aviation Center after scrubbing too many flights due their perfunctory mx. Not entirely committed to AvAd. They are 30% more expensive than my #2 choice (GT Aviation at VKX). I would probably eat up any savings in fuel and mx. Of course, I could just base at VKX during my training....

Welcome, good luck with your training.

Welcome, and good luck in your training. You will love the G5 HSI. I have dual G5s, and they are a treat for IFR. Everything today in terms of technology is so much better and safety-promoting that what I trained with 30 years ago. It may only be a month or two until things are a little more amenable to flight training again, if local,state, and federal governments gets their stuff together.

Back